Cruise Critic Community
dx052

Price drop at final payment date

Can I get a refund if the amount I paid is higher than the price available today? I booked the cruise on board whilst on a cruise and got included on board credit and free classic drinks package but the price is slightly cheaper now without the on board credit.

sorry, no. This happens often after final payment is made. I don't know the exact rules in the UK, but from what I read in other posts, I believe the answer is no.

No, hence the term "final payment." This also explains the timing of said drops. The best coping method for this that I've found is to stop looking once my final payment has been made.

Sorry, but what you paid suited you at the time and I assume you chose the cabin that you wanted. If you want to pay the lowest fare and are not worried about cabin choice, then you should consider doing a last minute booking.

UK rules, One TA says It is as if you went to a store and bought a coat and at two weeks you see it at a lower price, the store will not return the difference, and I answer her yes but I have not boarded the ship, it's like I have not used the coat, I return it and buy another one, but if you cancel they will not return your money. in USA, Canada and other countries applies the Best Price Guarantee policy, here in Mexico that policy only applies before final payment date. X takes advantage of local consumer protection laws to set their policies.

UK rules, One TA says It is as if you went to a store and bought a coat and at two weeks you see it at a lower price, the store will not return the difference, and I answer her yes but I have not boarded the ship, it's like I have not used the coat, I return it and buy another one, but if you cancel they will not return your money. in USA, Canada and other countries applies the Best Price Guarantee policy, here in Mexico that policy only applies before final payment date. X takes advantage of local consumer protection laws to set their policies.
If you purchase an airline ticket three months prior to flying and then the price goes down a month later you do not get a refund. And, you still have not taken your flight. After final payment, the cruiselines owe you nothing. If the price goes up do you complain you paid too little? Of course not. Comparing a coat to a cruise is just silly.

Comparing a coat to a cruise is just silly.

I am not comparing a cruise with a coat, I am giving an example of what happens when you buy something, be it a cruise or a coat.

Can I get a refund if the amount I paid is higher than the price available today? I booked the cruise on board whilst on a cruise and got included on board credit and free classic drinks package but the price is slightly cheaper now without the on board credit.

Depends....

Have you made the final payment yet? If you have not made the final payment, I have taken advantage on price changes. If the current pricing does not include the OBC & Drink Package, you would have to give up those perks. We booked our upcoming Christmas and New Year's cruise March 2018. In June 2018 Celebrity ran a "Sale" and we were able to get the better pricing and same perks.

If you have made final payment, changing is usually not an option. Read your contract for the details. We made our final payment at 90-days prior and if prices drop, we can cancel and only lose our deposit up to day 57 prior to our crusie date. It does not appear there will a substancial enough drop to make the change, but I will contiune to watch closely. I have copied and pasted below the cancellation portion of our contract.

Cancellation Fees:

Bookings made on or before April 15, 2018

Cruises of 5 nights or more (including holiday sailings and cruise tours*)

90+ days prior to departure no charge

89-57 days prior to departure deposit amount

56-29 days prior to departure 50% of total cruise fare

28-15 days prior to departure 75% of total cruise fare

14-0 days prior to departure No refund except for taxes/fees

Bookings made on or after April 16, 2018

Cancellation Fees:

Cruises of 5 nights or more (including holiday sailings and cruise tours)

89-75 days prior to departure 25% of total price

74-61 days prior to departure 50% of total price

60-31 days prior to departure 75% of total price

30-0 days prior to departure 100% of total price

Depends....

Have you made the final payment yet? If you have not made the final payment, I have taken advantage on price changes. If the current pricing does not include the OBC & Drink Package, you would have to give up those perks. We booked our upcoming Christmas and New Year's cruise March 2018. In June 2018 Celebrity ran a "Sale" and we were able to get the better pricing and same perks.

If you have made final payment, changing is usually not an option. Read your contract for the details. We made our final payment at 90-days prior and if prices drop, we can cancel and only lose our deposit up to day 57 prior to our crusie date. It does not appear there will a substancial enough drop to make the change, but I will contiune to watch closely. I have copied and pasted below the cancellation portion of our contract.

Cancellation Fees:

Bookings made on or before April 15, 2018

Cruises of 5 nights or more (including holiday sailings and cruise tours*)

89-57 days prior to departure deposit amount

56-29 days prior to departure 50% of total cruise fare

28-15 days prior to departure 75% of total cruise fare

14-0 days prior to departure No refund except for taxes/fees

Bookings made on or after April 16, 2018

Cancellation Fees:

Cruises of 5 nights or more (including holiday sailings and cruise tours)

89-75 days prior to departure 25% of total price

74-61 days prior to departure 50% of total price

60-31 days prior to departure 75% of total price

30-0 days prior to departure 100% of total price

The OP is based in UK. If he booked in UK, booking terms and conditions are different and is extremely unlikely to benefit from a price drop .

The OP is based in UK. If he booked in UK, booking terms and conditions are different and is extremely unlikely to benefit from a price drop .

That seems so very wrong! Thanks for pointing this out to me.