New Pub Lunch Format of the Golden

IECalCruiser

They have introduced a new format for the Pub Lunch on the Golden. Rather than being held in a separate venue, the Pub Lunch is being held in a DR from 12:00 to 1:30 concurrently with lunch. In addition to a Fisherman Platter, Chicken Curry, Steak & Kidney Pie, Scotch Egg & Salad, and Bread and Butter Pudding for dessert on the Pub Lunch side you can order appetizers of Chicken Liver Mousse, Onion Tart With Bacon, and Olde English Lamb & Barley Broth, all the typical burgers, and Spaghetti Alla Carbonara. Additional desserts are Cheese and Blueberry Blintzes, Hazelnut Meringue Layered Cake, Ice Creams, Fruit Plate, and Cheese Plate.

• Like 1

They have introduced a new format for the Pub Lunch on the Golden. Rather than being held in a separate venue, the Pub Lunch is being held in a DR from 12:00 to 1:30 concurrently with lunch. In addition to a Fisherman Platter, Chicken Curry, Steak & Kidney Pie, Scotch Egg & Salad, and Bread and Butter Pudding for dessert on the Pub Lunch side you can order appetizers of Chicken Liver Mousse, Onion Tart With Bacon, and Olde English Lamb & Barley Broth, all the typical burgers, and Spaghetti Alla Carbonara. Additional desserts are Cheese and Blueberry Blintzes, Hazelnut Meringue Layered Cake, Ice Creams, Fruit Plate, and Cheese Plate.

The pub lunch was held in Donatello DR on our cruise from Melbourne in February this year. I can't remember the everyday menu being offered on the days pub lunch was held. Certainly from memory all the pub dishes you listed above were on the menu plus some old favourite pub desserts.

It was a pleasant way to spend an hour or so in the DR as we normally ate in HC or picked up a burger or something at the IC at lunchtime.

Leigh

On the Sun class ships, the pub lunch is held in the dining room with the room decorated with Union flags. As someone else mentioned, the usual DR menu is not offered, just the pub lunch menu.

Did another dining room offer the regular lunch menu then?

Did another dining room offer the regular lunch menu then?

No. They only open one dining room for lunch. Whenever I have gone to the pub lunch it was quite unintentional. I simply went to the dining room for lunch as I usually do on sea days, and found it was a pub lunch.

They did that on the Golden last fall, too, but not every Pub Lunch was held in the dining room then. Occasionally they were held in the Crown Grill. I liked it in the dining room because I really didn’t want to dine from the Pub Lunch menu but DH did, and I could order what I wanted.

Holding the pub lunch in the WH while interesting surroundings is a large pain as the kitchen is far away. It is a lot more efficient to serve the pub lunch in a normal dining venue with the kitchen close by. However the MDR lacks the atmosphere that the WH does and takes away from the pax's experience. I have not seen this before but may see it in a few weeks when we board the CB.

Holding the pub lunch in the WH while interesting surroundings is a large pain as the kitchen is far away. It is a lot more efficient to serve the pub lunch in a normal dining venue with the kitchen close by. However the MDR lacks the atmosphere that the WH does and takes away from the pax's experience. I have not seen this before but may see it in a few weeks when we board the CB.

When the room is festooned with Union flags and they play British music, there is a great atmosphere. Two big advantages are the proximity to the kitchens and the fact that people can get in without lining up (as we have done with the pub lunch in the Wheelhouse Bar on other ships).

Do they still have the every day favorites for those of us who do not like the pub lunch food?
My original post included the other lunch items as well as the Pub Lunch. You could order several appetizers, burgers, Pasta Cabonara, and several desserts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My original post included the other lunch items as well as the Pub Lunch. You could order several appetizers, burgers, Pasta Cabonara, and several desserts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While I am not a big fan of the pub lunch, I think it a good step in the right direction. Just as Princess has introduced Crown Grill steaks as a premium entree in the MDR, I would like to see them occasionally offer Planks and Crab Shack or Steamers fare in the Main Dining Room.

Yea, I know the logistics are difficult. Our own demographics have one of us that loves the Crab Shack, Planks and Steamer type of food and another one that like the dinner and service in a more formal setting. Guess who wins that issue?