Best place for pizza near Times Square or Penn Station

oceansandseas

-

DH and I staying 2 days in New York before cruise next month. Where should we go for a good pizza. Staying between Times Square and Penn Station. And the next night.....Corned Beef or Pastrami sandwich.

Also, places NOT to go for pizza.

Thanks in advance.

-

I like Rose's in Penn Sation and one other whose name escapes me. John's of Times Square is good. I avoid the expensive tourist places. Usually, if I look at what's on display I know if I will like it.

Look at good maps and search "pizza". Read reviews on places with more than 4 stars - those are probably good!

It's getting out of date but for those still in business you can't go wrong with the ratings here (use the map)

http://www.sliceharvester.com/

Also pay attention if you are wanting classic, authentic NY slices. The foldable ones with a bit of oil on them. NYC has a lot of variety in pizza these days, and brick oven/coal oven has been become popular.

OP: I know you didn't ask this, but if you are going to be in/around Penn Station, go into the Zaro's Bakery on the main concourse in Penn Station and have a Black & White cookie. (They call it a cookie, but it's large and more cake-like.) The best you will find anywhere!

Went to John's for the first time this past June and really enjoyed it! Good pizza, and the building it's in is quite unique. Apparently it used to be a church... very high ceiling and you can still see a stained glass window. It was fun to look around the place and try to envision it as a church.

I don't think you can go wrong with any slice in that area. In fact, I remember there being a place or two in Penn Station that serve tasty slices.

There's a great place in Penn Station (near the Amtrak gates) called Don Pepi that has great slices.

People not from here (NYC) probably do not realize that "Ray's Pizza" and its many variations such as "Ray's Original Pizza," "Famous Ray's Pizza," and "World-Famous Original Ray's Pizza," are the names of dozens of pizzerias in the area that are generally completely independent (a few have multiple locations) but may have similar menus, signs, and logo. As of 2011 there were at least 49 restaurants by some variant of that name in New York City; since then, a number of them have closed down due to rising rents. If you want something that actually resembles the pizza you will find in Italy, go to Capizzi on 9th Avenue between 40th & 41st or John's on Bleecker Street (or 44th, if you must, but it's not the same); NYC pizza can be great, but it's a creation all our own.

Edited by Langoustine

Wife always wants a slice before we go back to hotel, we get it at famous original rays at 49th and 7th open really late get slice way after midnight , perfer angelos on 53rd and broadway but they close much earlier and do not sell by the slice.

OK Last comment: Near Penn Station, Pizza Suprema got the only perfect score from Slice Harvester. 413 8th Ave between W 31st and 32nd.

Q.E.D.!

Exit Penn station at 8th avenue, cross 8th, turn left (South), walk a half block past the post office. Bring cash.

-

DH and I staying 2 days in New York before cruise next month. Where should we go for a good pizza. Staying between Times Square and Penn Station. And the next night.....Corned Beef or Pastrami sandwich.

Also, places NOT to go for pizza.

Thanks in advance.

-

Best place for Corned Beef or Pastrami sandwich:Ben'S Deli ,W. 37 St.

In my opinion as someone who has lived and worked in NYC most of my life there are no really good pizza parlors anywhere near Times Square or Penn Station.

My suggestion is John's in Greenwich Village .

People not from here (NYC) probably do not realize that "Ray's Pizza" and its many variations such as "Ray's Original Pizza," "Famous Ray's Pizza," and "World-Famous Original Ray's Pizza," are the names of dozens of pizzerias in the area that are generally completely independent (a few have multiple locations) but may have similar menus, signs, and logo. As of 2011 there were at least 49 restaurants by some variant of that name in New York City; since then, a number of them have closed down due to rising rents. If you want something that actually resembles the pizza you will find in Italy, go to Capizzi on 9th Avenue between 40th & 41st or John's on Bleecker Street (or 44th, if you must, but it's not the same); NYC pizza can be great, but it's a creation all our own.

It seems necessary to bring out Johnny T again...

8LmPBPWHJu4

• 2 weeks later...