Internationally Adopted Child Documents

nrain02

My son is bringing a friend with us on our cruise this Sunday. He is 17 and was internationally adopted. He does not have a passport, but does have a US issued birth certificate and a certificate of citizenship. He also has his state ID. Will this be enough documentation to travel with? According to Carnival’s website, it appears he only needs the government issued birth certificate, but when I do a search on cruise critic, I’m getting conflicting experiences... anyone have recent first hand experience? Also can these documents be copies or do they have to be originals? Is the adoption paperwork needed? Thanks

That's a tough one, and I have no first hand experience (and possibly nobody here does.) You should call Carnival or the State Dept. for clarification.

From Carnival's page:

Traveling with a Birth Certificate and Photo Identification

Birth Certificate Information

The following are acceptable:

• An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics
  • A clear, legible copy (photocopy) of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified.
  • Birth Certificate Card
  • A Consular report of Birth Abroad
  • Internationally adopted children (under the age of 18): If the adoptive parent was not issued a birth certificate, we will accept as proof of citizenship, a Certificate of Citizenship by the U.S. and adoption paperwork. A Certificate of Citizenship is issued by the U.S. once the adoption is finalized.

Photo Identification

A non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver's License
  • Driver's Permit
  • School/Student I.D. (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)
  • Government-issued identification card (city/state/federal)
  • Government-issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - for photo identification use only

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3409

I would read the above to mean that if you have a US Birth Certificate, and a state issued photo ID, you should be good. However, you should call Carnival if you have any questions (and write down the names of the people you talk to.) Nobody is going to let you board with improper docs because someone on Cruise Critic said it was OK.

It appears that you don't need the adoption paperwork, but it seems silly not to bring a copy just in case?

Also note:

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

There are examples of this type of form floating around CC. You should also get a medical permissions form.

Why risk having an issue for the sake of not carrying a few sheets of paper (perhaps more than a few for the adoption, but still...) ?