Wow New Offer From Norwegian Today- Unlimited WIFI

fourofakind

Well, I am sure some people will be thrilled about this. For me, it is the most "meh" promo yet. My phone goes in the safe on day one and comes out on day seven. One of my favorite things about cruising. But I know that for some people that is not an option or they don't perceive it to be. Glad those people will be happy and I am glad that a new promo will probably come along before I book another cruise, since I'm already booked up through November, 2019!

Unlimited Internet Package:

Offer will be applied to the first guest in the stateroom.

Internet Package is per stateroom. One login per stateroom.

Internet package is not available at Great Stirrup Cay or Harvest Caye.

Internet package includes activation fee.

The unlimited WIFI package gives you access to unlimited web surfing, email access, social media access and apps.

This package does not allow streaming.

Can be used only on one device at a time.

Voice and video call features are available.

Internet package can only be used during the cruise portion of the vacation.

I like the idea of the voice and video call feature. Always find myself calling back home as soon as I get into a port so will be nice to be able to call whenever I want (if the service actually works). That plus an occasional text and checking emails is great for me. I wouldn't pay for the service but as an additional freebie I think it's awesome!

I wonder how this will affect speed if so many end up with unlimited. My husband has to work a couple hours a day even on vacation. I got him the premium unlimited on the Bliss. There was no noticeable difference between the speed of the Jade regular unlimited and the Bliss premium unlimited. Bliss premium slowed down to a crawl on sea days with web pages timing out before loading. The Jade regular internet was actually faster on sea days Europe sailing. I’m guessing because less people using it Europe sailing compared to mostly Americans on the Bliss, some of whom don’t have the luxury to unplug on vacation.

Looks to me like the unlimited wifi was added to many sailings that were previously marketed as distinctive voyages. So basically, you get unlimited internet but give up 250 free minutes internet, 120 minutes of ship to shore calls, and $50 of shore excursions credit. I wonder why the new wifi promo is not combinable with a shareholder credit.

Sent from my PH-1 using Forums mobile app

Edited by blcruising

This is a good add-on for me to check up on family members at home (my parents are aging and in less than perfect health) and to monitor our home security. In reality, if one of my parents were to fall or become ill, I couldn't do anything directly for them from a cruise, but I'd be able to make sure they had all the care needed. Same if our burglar alarm goes off, I can check in with the neighbor to deal with a situation. Those are really the only situations that worry me and keep me from 100% "unplugging" when away. Cruiselines try to offer something of what ALL of their customers value, no point in judging. And I love the live cruise blogs some Cruise Critic members have done. Not possible without connectivity!

Agree with the comment about checking in on older family members..especially the "in reality" part..what can you do from the middle of the ocean? I guess it gives folks peace of mind...so that's good.

They could use that unlimited internet to book flights from the next port.

I accept the 250-minute wifi Free-at-Sea offer and use it, but for a seven-day cruise, it's as much as I need. I try to stay slightly in touch with my work--I'm the director of a nonprofit organization--because if the only reply members receive to email is a standard out-of-office response they tend to implement ideas that aren't ready for prime time, and I want to be sure that my pet-sitter can reach me.

Otherwise, I use some wifi to skim the online editions of the newspapers that I read; I don't like to be completely uninformed, nor do I like to watch cable TV news while traveling (takes too much time for too little information). But 250 minutes seem to be enough, so I wouldn't pay a surcharge for more and I wouldn't like it to replace other promotional offers.

Those who want to be snooty about their Internet chastity are, of course, welcome to continue proclaiming it.

I cruise solo, so the ability to stay in touch with family/friends on land is something I place in the “need” column. They like to know I’m ok and I like to know pets/adult children/elderly parents are ok.

Not everyone that cruises off-season is retired either, and for some being able to do light work/mailbox management is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always chuckle when a thread about connectivity shows up. So many quick to praise the unplugged and denounce those internet junkies that can't let it go. I will do neither.

As a sole proprietor of a technology company, with hundreds of clients I support, I simply couldn't go anywhere if I didn't have internet access. At some point I will retire and join the hordes of the unplugged but for now unlimited internet would allow me to enjoy the cruise and check Email after I get an iMessage text alert instead of checking Email hourly.

I love to cruise and definitely go to unwind and unplug. Unfortunately/fortunately I am in school part time and work full time and must have internet access. That way I can have some fun and regroup and keep up on my assignments!

My SO doesn't travel with me primarily because we have a hard time finding a sitter for our two really young children who are still too little to enjoy cruising. Not to mention I don't like toddlers and infants who are noisy so why would others. So we vacation separately for now. I use the internet package to keep in touch and I video chat with our kids daily. Even before the kids we had the kids I have a job where I need to check in here and there to make sure all is well over email and I enjoy posting pictures for family. So this isn't useless for many people who have obligations they have to meet back home. It doesn't ruin my vacation. It may annoy me if people don't know how to use headphones and hold conversations over video chat.

It does appear that this replaces OBC but, depending on room type, it may be a much better deal. For an oceanview the OBC was only $60.00 now you get free wifi worth $178.50 (for a 7 days cruise price is $25.50 per day).

So for those that want wifi in oceanview or balcony it is a better deal. This one is only around for a week and then I'm guessing OBC credit will come back as it frequently does.

It does appear that this replaces OBC but, depending on room type, it may be a much better deal. For an oceanview the OBC was only $60.00 now you get free wifi worth $178.50 (for a 7 days cruise price is $25.50 per day).

So for those that want wifi in oceanview or balcony it is a better deal. This one is only around for a week and then I'm guessing OBC credit will come back as it frequently does.

So it looks like NCL is getting rid of OBC which most people like and replacing it with a WiFi package most people won’t use. Ugh...

I looked at the 3 cruises we have booked and guess what? They are giving you free wi-fi and taken away OBC. I guess you will have to decide which means more to you. I will take OBC.

My booked cruise dates now show OBC replaced by this Free Internet promo for new bookings .

That in addition to not being able to add Shareholder OBC is sad . Coming back to NCL after a stretch of Princess cruises , who allow stacking OBC from different sources .

My booked cruise dates now show OBC replaced by this Free Internet promo for new bookings .

That in addition to not being able to add Shareholder OBC is sad . Coming back to NCL after a stretch of Princess cruises , who allow stacking OBC from different sources .

Don't lose hope. I assume this is a temporary promo like the occasional free taxes and port fees or free DSC.

How is this not available at GSC?

So if you have a 7 day cruise, for the time you're at GSC you have no Internet access?

No, there is no wi-fi on GSC. The service you are getting from NCL is the ship-based system and antennas are only good for a hundred feet at best on the ship.