Snorkeling in Hawaii during March

peterp

Hi All,

We are cruising on POA in March. I would like to snorkel at least once, but I have heard that the seas can be kind of rough in March. I have a couple of questions.

Which is the best island to snorkel at during March? And also, can anyone recommend a good company or individual to bring us snorkeling. I know that when we have been in St. Thomas we have hired a sailboat and crew for the day and it has worked out well.

Thanks for any help suggestions.

Peterp

The seas are not any rougher at any given time in March, then any other time of the year. Seas can be rough any time, or smooth any time.

I would (and have) snorkeled Maui almost all months of the year. The key is to get out in the morning. Afternoon typically gets windier, and thus less desirable.

On Maui, you can snorkel with several vendors out of Ma'alaea, which is discussed quite frequently here, as it is the closest place to go out of, from the POA port in Kahalui. If you are new to snorkeling, that will work fine for you, and I would probably take the ship's excursion. But the better snorkeling goes out of Lahaina or Mala Harbors (on the west side of Maui)to Lanai.

As you are there during peak whale watch season, do something that includes whale watching out of Maui.

I agree with Bruce & if you want to rent a car there are several snorkeling spots that are easily accessible from shore. With two days on Maui that would give you more flexibility to enjoy what you like here on the Valley Isle.

I prefer the South Maui locations (Wailea & Makena) and from Kahului Harbor where the POA docks it’s about half the distance as to West Maui (Ka’anapali to Honolua). South Maui also generally has less traffic so it’s usually a much faster drive.

Things in Hawaii are much more expensive than in the Caribbean and hiring a sailboat & crew would probably be much more expensive.

Here’s trip planning weather for Maui in March:

https://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/trip-planning-weather/

March – Spring brings increasingly strong Northeast tradewinds, and more showers on the windward sides from Haiku to Hana, and on the upper West side from Napili to Kaanapali. Kihei and Lahaina are generally warm and sunny. Winter storms lose their influence on Maui later in the month. Tradewinds blow on the average 61% of the time. Surf still up frequently on the North and West shores. Sea water temperature averages about 74 degrees F.

March averages for different locations on Maui Lahaina 83-64 F. (28.3C-17.8C) 1.79" of precipitation Hana 79-65 F. (26.1C-18.3C) 9.54" of precipitation

Kahului 81-65 F. (27.2C-18.3C) 2.72" of precipitation Kahului % of possible daytime sunshine: 72%

We’ve had a hot & humid summer as a result of more tropical storms with less tradewinds as our natural air conditioning. It’s more evidence for winter’s forecasted El Nino conditions which results in a drier winter.

Astro Flyer....will be there in 10 days...don't change the weather!! ;p:cool:

Tonight’s evening news weather forecast is for tradewinds to return on Sunday and “not leaving anytime soon”. (y) :cool:

So you should have better conditions than our recent humid weather resulting in feels like conditions that are about 10° higher than actual temperatures...even had a heat index of 106° a couple of weeks ago.

What are some of the reputable companies in Maui and the Kona for snorkeling?'

For Maui, assuming you are going to sail out of Ma'alaea Harbor, Pacific Whale Foundation always gets high marks.

If you want to go over to the west side (Lahaina), I would use Capt Steve out of Mala Harbor.

If you look around this board or do a search, you will see a few more vendors mentioned.