Just off the Emerald (California Coastal). Any questions?

Deesquared

Is there classical music on board? Maybe in the Adagio Bar?

We really enjoyed the Sun Shine Duo, a couple of ladies on violin/viola? who played mostly in the Atrium but also around the ship.

Darstamp and Deesquared:

Oh-no! I just booked the Emerald for the So-pacific RT/LA in 2020, choosing her over Island Princess due to all the negative opinions of too many people for the public space after her retrofit.

Aside from the space issue, can I ask what category room and/or deck you two stayed on? We have a midships obstructed oceanview...

We had an oceanview room on deck 5 forward which was on the same deck as the Atrium, International Cafe and Vines. We heard no noise from any other areas but a strange constant sound of water gurgling which the steward said was water pipes in the walls. We got used to it but I would caution anyone who is really noise sensitive to avoid the area of P230.

My daughter and I were just on the same cruise. I have submitted a review which I hope will be posted soon. We found the ship very crowded. No one ever starved to death on a cruise but we especially enjoyed our dinner in the Crown Grill and went twice to the Saltydog Gastropub. Our favourite place was Vines. Considering everything, I gave the cruise 4 stars. I am annoyed with myself for not getting the name of the best cocktail I had which was made with ginger beer and lime. Got it in Club Fusion and it was really delicious.

Not a Moscow Mule?

We were also on this cruise and can agree with many of the previous comments...

I found it very difficult to find a quiet place to read and relax on board on sea days, many had to resort to sitting in the theatre for some quiet time. Found myself wishing for some quiet Holland America time occasionally!

Now you're making me fret! We are booked on 28-day RT-LA (So.Pacific) and 18 of them are sea days! Read and relax is what dr'spin does, add knitting for me, and wants somewhere with a window/view to do so, otherwise he might as well be home! I know this cruise fills up, although maybe not too many 3rd/4th per cabin...

Is Internat'l Cafe the only place to get espresso drinks?

Crystalspin, don't fret. We had success a few times in the Wheelhouse bar, tucked in a corner on days they didnt have a presentation there. the promenade area on deck seven outside is quiet and with good weather is ok too. We didnt try the Horizon Court outside of dining times...that might be ok but not entirely quiet but will get very busy closer to meal times.

You will have a wonderful time no matter what.

Espresso coffee is also available in the dining rooms.

Darstamp and Deesquared:

Oh-no! I just booked the Emerald for the So-pacific RT/LA in 2020, choosing her over Island Princess due to all the negative opinions of too many people for the public space after her retrofit.

Aside from the space issue, can I ask what category room and/or deck you two stayed on? We have a midships obstructed oceanview...

Crystalspin, don't worry too much! I'm sure you'll have a good time no matter what. There is a good chance that you won't see the crowding issues that we had, and here's why...

Last spring, I took my family on a Mexican cruise on the Ruby. She is the exact same layout at the Emerald. It was a full sailing, but did not feel crowded at all. People were spread out amongst the decks, pools, and indoor areas. It was mainly couples, families, and one or two small groups (family reunions, etc). We were able to see all the shows by showing up 30 minutes early, always found spots to eat, and deck chairs were always available somewhere. There was usually a 10 - 15 minute wait for a table at the MDR, but nothing outrageous.

For this recent cruise on the Emerald, it was a Vancouver round-trip. These do not come around very often, so Vancouver folks jump at the opportunity. I'd say 90% of the guests were from Metro Vancouver. So, now you need to know that Vancouver has a very large population of folks who have immigrated here from Hong Kong/Mainland China. Out of the 90% of the Vancouverites, 75% of them were chinese folks. There appeared to be a very large group travelling together, perhaps arranged by a travel company. They had a flip-chart board by the front desk with a daily schedule. There also appeared to be a large group that may have been a dance club? Maybe it was the same group, I'm not sure.

Sooooo....what does that mean to you? Well, there is quite a difference in a group of 100 people travelling together and 50 couples travelling together. Large groups often wanted to sit together, whether at the cafe or in the theatre. There would often be a large group of people dancing a type of line dance at Club Fusion. They would take up most of the dance floor, leaving little room for other people. This is not something you would typically see if it was 25 or 50 couples dancing. These folks did love to dance, and it was lovely to watch them, but it gave the trip a different feel in Club Fusion and Explorers Lounge. I don't know if Skywalkers was similar, but I doubt it.

The flip side is that many asian people do not like to sit out in the sun, so there were deck chairs available all the time. The pools were almost unused. Smaller venues without dance areas were quite quiet. Adagio was always empty! Great place to chill out.

So, depending on where you are sailing, you will probably not notice any significant crowding. But do get to the theatre early! :)

Can you tell me what dining room was open upon embarkation?

Helen

It wasn't Botticelli (Deck 5 aft), so either Michelangelo (Deck 5 midship) or Da Vinci (Deck 6 midship). Not much help, I know! Ha ha...:D

I think it was Da Vinci. They will try to steer you to the buffet, but just keep saying that you want to go to the Main Dining Room. This was the first time I shared a table with strangers, and it was the best way to start our holiday! We met the nicest people, and saw them throughout the cruise.

Darstamp and Deesquared:

Riviera (Deck 14) aft balcony.

Close to the Terrace Pool, only one floor up to the buffet, and no noise above or below.

You could feel a bit of swaying while sleeping, but not much.

Howdy!

My husband and I are boarding the Emerald next week and we just got upgraded to a penthouse suite. What’s the MUST DO areas on the ship? Any cool hidden gems?

Any feedback about penthouse cabins and club class dining would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Now you're making me fret! We are booked on 28-day RT-LA (So.Pacific) and 18 of them are sea days! Read and relax is what dr'spin does, add knitting for me, and wants somewhere with a window/view to do so, otherwise he might as well be home! I know this cruise fills up, although maybe not too many 3rd/4th per cabin...

I wouldn’t worry about crowding on the upcoming 28 day trip, we did it a few years ago and it was wonderfully quiet everywhere most of the time. We liked it so much we're doing it again in a couple of weeks. See you on board! 😁

Hi crystalspin, one of my favorite quiet spaces during the day with lots of windows and views is up in Adajio's Lounge. Next to Share by Curtis Stone on Deck 16. In good weather the Promenade deck has nice lounge chairs to settle into.

Yes, the International Cafe is the only place to get espresso drinks. You may also order them while dinning in the dinning rooms.

Bon Voyage :D

Howdy!

My husband and I are boarding the Emerald next week and we just got upgraded to a penthouse suite. What’s the MUST DO areas on the ship? Any cool hidden gems?

Any feedback about penthouse cabins and club class dining would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Penthouse suite :hail: I was hoping for an upgrade- nope lol no offers at all

• 4 weeks later...

Hello and thank you for all your notes.

I'm wondering if you have a copy of a Princess Patter from your trip or any menu pics? First time coming up Nov 29 on Emerald and Princess. We don't even have our cabin yet!  We took a guaranteed balcony but have no idea when we'll be assigned a cabin.  

Thanks again!

Teri