January 20,2019 Constellation Asia

PDXgranny

Was wondering if anyone can tell me about their experience obtaining a 144 hour China transit visa at the port in Shanghai ( last port in itinerary). We plan to stay in Shanghai 2 nights after end of cruise and then fly home to US out of Shanghai. Is it an easy process and does it go quickly? TIA!!

Is Shanghai your only stop in China? That would be the only way the 144 hour visa might work. Last year we stopped in Tinjian/Beijing for 3 days and then disembarked in Shanghai so a full visitors visa was required. Nothing is easy with China. We ended up using an agency because it was cheaper for us than going to the Chinese consulate in NYC twice. Between the visa fee and the agency fee our visas cost about $250 per person but are good for 10 years.

We used itseasy.com. Great service and zero hassles.

Is Shanghai your only stop in China? That would be the only way the 144 hour visa might work. Last year we stopped in Tinjian/Beijing for 3 days and then disembarked in Shanghai so a full visitors visa was required. Nothing is easy with China. We ended up using an agency because it was cheaper for us than going to the Chinese consulate in NYC twice. Between the visa fee and the agency fee our visas cost about $250 per person but are good for 10 years.

We sail to Shanghai from Hong Kong (which as you know, we don’t need a visa for Hong Kong because of such a short 2 day port). I understand there are quirky rules about where you can or cannot arrive from and depart to out of Shanghai. We have the application for a full visa but would sure like to avoid the hassle right now! Thanks so much!

Is it safe to assume you are from the US? I am learning your nationality plays into this. I'm asking so I can possibly use the site you recommended.

Is it safe to assume you are from the US? I am learning your nationality plays into this. I'm asking so I can possibly use the site you recommended.

Yes - we are from US. Ship itinerary is Hong Kong to Shanghai & Shanghai to US

Was wondering if anyone can tell me about their experience obtaining a 144 hour China transit visa at the port in Shanghai ( last port in itinerary). We plan to stay in Shanghai 2 nights after end of cruise and then fly home to US out of Shanghai. Is it an easy process and does it go quickly? TIA!!

There’s lots of information out there and very many useful websites. It doesn’t sound difficult. You would apply and receive the visa from a special line as you go through customs in Shanghai.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There’s lots of information out there and very many useful websites. It doesn’t sound difficult. You would apply and receive the visa from a special line as you go through customs in Shanghai.

I have searched many websites and the Chinese Embassy site regarding visas. I’m looking for someone (on a Celebrty cruise with similar itinerary) who may have gone through the application process in Shanghai for 144 hr visa and also confirmation that Hong Kong- Shanghai-United States entry and exit is valid for that type of visa. That info has not been entirely clear. I’d like to get their feedback regarding their experience with that type of visa.

Thanks for your response.

Txflood33, yes we are in the US. They were great to work with and it was well worth the cost because it would have meant going into NYC at least twice for us. While it is only 45 miles, parking and tolls would cost at least $50 per trip. Regardless of where you go you have to make a trip to deliver the application and then when they notify you that your visa is ready, you have to back and pick it up or if they say there is a problem you have to in and fix it and then make yet another trip to pick it up. We did not find the Chinese to be very helpful with visas, immigration and even getting out. I think we had to do about 5 security checks the day we flew out including one right at the aircraft door where they yelled at me "NO WATER!!!" so I gave them back my free bottle of water that I got in the biz lounge....