First time on HAL. Koningsdam - What not to miss, and what's complimentary?

Philoufelin

Hey everyone,

It will be my first time on Holland America. I've done NCL and Celebrity. I'm thinking it will be an in between, am I wrong?

I would like to enjoy everything that is included, any recommendations?

Also, are there any activites that are really worth paying extra for?

Thank you!

I can't think of any activities that are an extra charge, unless you are referring to specialty restaurants, which in my opinion are definitely worth a try. I like the =X= specialty restaurants a bit more, but HAL's are a lot less $$. We like Tamarind, and on KDam, Pinnacle was really good. If you are more specific, and let us know what itinerary you are taking, we may be able to be more helpful.

Ken

Back to TopTop

l

You will receive a daily reminder on your bed each night that outlines all activities for the upcoming day. I pick and choose before I turn out the lights. If you like music, for example, all venues are listed with hours of performance. If you like Happy Hour in the various bars the times and details are listed. If you like movies, art auctions, etc. you will find all of your choices for the day and evening listed by location and time. Be sure to save some “me” time for R& R though! Enjoy!

Definitely try the Reuben sandwich at the NY Deli, chocolate cake & chili from room service, and the chocolate puff at the Dutch Café. All are free. Ask for extra meat on the sandwich though, as they don't put enough meat if you don't specify that you'd like a double or triple serving.

Enjoy the K. She's a lovely ship, except for her blasted narrow Promenade Deck.

Yes, the NY Deli is very nice and the Dutch Cafe is good too, but some of the food is a bit too "exotic" to be something we went to every day, unlike the Intl Cafe on princess ships.

The BBC earth show with the live music is great, although I had to explain to my daughter about the "slow buffalo" - basically the scene in BBC earth where a pack of wolves is chasing a herd of buffalo...

The main pool area is very nice as is the sport court...they moved it around and its much more enjoyable to sit around. Also the Crows nest is one of the better ones in the fleet.

I can't think of any activities that are an extra charge, unless you are referring to specialty restaurants, which in my opinion are definitely worth a try. I like the =X= specialty restaurants a bit more, but HAL's are a lot less $$. We like Tamarind, and on KDam, Pinnacle was really good. If you are more specific, and let us know what itinerary you are taking, we may be able to be more helpful.

Ken

Back to TopTop

l

Do you know if the Main Dining Room is open for lunch on Embarkation Day to anyone?

Definitely dine at the Tamarind. It’s a small upcharge, but well worth it. I would recommend making reservations around sunset. It has beautiful views, awesome service, and exceptional food. You won’t be disappointed! And take time to walk around the ship and check out the artwork. They have some incredible pieces.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, but I am looking for a place where a group of friends could gather together after an evening of entertainment. Is the Lido buffet open late? Can't seem to get info from the HAL web page about the hours there or any other non DR options.

Thanks, but I am looking for a place where a group of friends could gather together after an evening of entertainment. Is the Lido buffet open late? Can't seem to get info from the HAL web page about the hours there or any other non DR options.

On our K cruise, it closed at midnight, so no, it's not open very late if you and your friends are night owls.

Many of the food venues close by 11:00, but we have several approaches to that. We cruise through Lido early in the evening when they’re first set up for dinner and collect “small plates’ of cheese and crackers, sushi, cookies, whatever looks good and just save them in our cabins. After dinner and evening entertainment, we sit out on our balconies or (wherever we want) to enjoy our “midnight snacks”. Another option is to go to the pizza parlor and order full pizzas before they close. That’s a nice snack too. And of course there is room service. I’ve never tried it, but I’m guessing they would deliver to a venue other than your cabin. But I’m not sure. The good news is, you won’t have any problem finding a venue to use late at night.

I just looked at my When and Where from the Koningsdam for Jan 2018 cruise. The Lido Market is open from 10pm to 11pm and the New York Deli is open until midnight. The Dutch Cafe is open until 10pm Coffee and Tea at available 24/7 in the Lido.

I just looked at my When and Where from the Koningsdam for Jan 2018 cruise. The Lido Market is open from 10pm to 11pm and the New York Deli is open until midnight. The Dutch Cafe is open until 10pm Coffee and Tea at available 24/7 in the Lido.

But there were times between 3:00pm and 5:00pm that the lido was completely closed for anything other than drinks. It made it hard to find something when returning from excursions.

But there were times between 3:00pm and 5:00pm that the lido was completely closed for anything other than drinks. It made it hard to find something when returning from excursions.

Maybe the Lido was closed, but the Dive In, NY Deli, and Dutch Cafe are all open at that time. Our favorite “after excursion” stop was the Dutch Cafe for split pea soup or cheese and meat platter. But the French fries at the Dive In are also a great afternoon snack!

Try the vegetarian sandwich at the Dive-In even if you are not a vegetarian. And the fries and everything els too, Oh so good :)

I was a little disappointed at how early food venues shut down and the lack of a "quick bite" "snack" kind of place. ( I guess I am too used to Princess IC) HAL needs something more like that. I really did not understand the dutch cafe. I had no idea what the items are and it is not all free.