Princess Balcony Lights - Annoying Neighbors

Thrak

If someone having a little balcony light on during a cruise makes you feel disrespected than there is nothing I can do about your self-esteem...:halo:

After many years and many cruises, if I had to name one thing that I most often found irritating, it would not be anything that Princess had control over. The most irritating thing to me are the passengers who are inconsiderate of other passengers. And that has absolutely nothing to do with self esteem.

My personal opinion is that Princess could remove all the bulbs from the balcony lights and no one would feel that their cruise had been ruined.

I wonder how bright the balcony light is?

Most of my balcony experience has been on RCI and NCL and mostly a regular balcony, sometimes an aft or a premium. The lights don't appear bright enough to read.

Maybe it's different on Princess?

You are correct its not the best light for doing anything really.

However it does reflect off the white painted surfaces especially the outside cabin wall and the roof area of the balcony bleeding over a balcony or 2 in either direction.

I like sitting in the dark to be able to see out both the horizon and the sky.

With this bleed over it makes it more difficult.

My cabin, my balcony and my light. While it may be rude you have zero right to ask anyone else how they use their cabin.

Yes, it's your cabin, balcony and light, but, if you're not using the light on the balcony and it's bothering someone else, what's wrong with asking you if you would please turn the light off? By that same right, if I'm in the next cabin to you and I have my TV or music turned up so loud that it disturbs you in your room, you certainly have the right to come over and ask me to turn the music down to keep it from disturbing you. It's kind of like the old saying that your right to swing your first stops where my nose ends. The people surrounding you have their rights too, just as you do.

Tom

• Like 1

I've never had a balcony, only insides, but I like to sleep with the light on all night. I hate to wake up in total darkness and not see where things are. If I had a balcony I would perhaps have left that light on thinking it would show me where I was, if I woke in the night. I will remember (if I can ever afford a balcony) to make sure I don't leave that light on:D

Diver2014, can you please tell me, as close as possible, whiich cabins Forward on upper decks might be requested to keep their balcony lights turned off!

I am thinking that our cabin will be the level just above the bridge... several cabins back. Not the very most forward ones.

I would appreciate it if it were dark at night, and if I could see the sky and the sea and the stars.

Would we be this lucky!!! We wouldn't have any issues with un-aware or purposefully rude neighbors.

As a matter of fact, my one concern about an otherwise premium OV cabin that I would book on the Emerald/Ruby/Crown... It is a NON-obstructed obstructedOV... but there seems to be major utility lights hanging above, outside of the window. I had posted for input, as I know others have booked these cabins... But never got a response.

To be thoughtful to your neighbors, how “controlling”? If you’re using your balcony and want the light on of course you should do so. But if you’re fast asleep, why would it bother you if your neighbors preferred it off? I guess on my upcoming cruise I’ll be playing my disco music full blast at 1 am and having a dance party of one on my aft balcony...woo hoo!! My balcony, right?

Please do so as I am sure who would be getting the knock on their door. Then someone might be told of the number of complaints that have been called in to security. After all you would be entertaining more than those on either side of you. But it is your cabin, your music so go ahead.

Interesting to see so many people feel like we do about annoying balcony lights left on without anyone using the balcony. One cruise we had neighbors that would turn their balcony light on when they left the cabin in the evening. It would never be on when they were in the cabin. Strange, were they expecting someone to come to the door? About mid-way through the cruise I had just gone out into the hallway and the neighbor lady was just about to go into her cabin. I politely asked that they not leave the light on when they left as we, as many here have also said, enjoy sitting out in the darkness and seeing the ocean and night sky. We never did see either one of the couple again, but, their balcony light was off for the rest of the cruise. Ask nicely and maybe you will be happy with the result.

Of course there is also the subject of smoking on the balcony that is upwind (or is it downwind?) from yours....

Diver2014, can you please tell me, as close as possible, whiich cabins Forward on upper decks might be requested to keep their balcony lights turned off!

I am thinking that our cabin will be the level just above the bridge... several cabins back. Not the very most forward ones.

I would appreciate it if it were dark at night, and if I could see the sky and the sea and the stars.

Would we be this lucky!!! We wouldn't have any issues with un-aware or purposefully rude neighbors.

As a matter of fact, my one concern about an otherwise premium OV cabin that I would book on the Emerald/Ruby/Crown... It is a NON-obstructed obstructedOV... but there seems to be major utility lights hanging above, outside of the window. I had posted for input, as I know others have booked these cabins... But never got a response.

We were in cabin R202 on our last 2 Princess voyages on the Emerald Princess and the Royal Princess.

Wait, you mean the knock won’t be on my door? Even better, I can be rude AND not have to take responsibility for it!

Try that with security and see what happens. You might want to have your bags packed. By the way the knock will be on your door if your music is loud at 1 a.m.

I hate that balcony light and we never turn it on. It's annoying, and we ask our room steward to turn it off. There's no reason to turn it on really. It isn't like there's anyone going to go creeping around on your balcony.

On our Alaska cruise in September, a bright orange/red planet Mars was visible off of our aft facing balcony. Viewed through the the binoculars, it was a huge orange/red disc. What an experience!

Later in the cruise, the neighbor's light was on, but this view of Mars was not there anymore, anyway. I was not annoyed by this light, but this discussion brought the memory back to me.

Mars was spectacular when viewed from a dark balcony:):):)

can you please tell me, as close as possible, which cabins Forward on upper decks might be requested to keep their balcony lights turned off!

Only the cabins facing forward would be requested to keep balcony lights off and curtains drawn.

Since your cabin is not facing forward, it would not be involved in this.

Try that with security and see what happens. You might want to have your bags packed. By the way the knock will be on your door if your music is loud at 1 a.m.

It appears I have failed miserably at being facetious when attempting to make a point of being considerate to your neighbors. So let me clarify that in reality I use ear buds for my music and do my dancing at the appropriate venue. I also turn the volume down on my tv and shut off my balcony light at night.

Edited by SuzyL
of and to are not the same thing
  • Thanks 1

The simple solution is that Princess trains its room stewards to turn the balcony light off at evening turndown, beyond that if that passenger wants there light on all night, I guess it’s tuff on the neigbours

It appears I have failed miserably at being facetious when attempting to make a point of being considerate to your neighbors. So let me clarify that in reality I use ear buds for my music and do my dancing at the appropriate venue. I also turn the volume down on my tv and shut off my balcony light at night.

Thank you ! :) Some of us appreciate you being considerate! Happy cruising! :)

• Like 1

We usually have a balcony cabin on an upper deck near the bow of the ship. We were told on several cruises that we MUST turn our balcony light off at night because it reflects onto the bridge. We didn't dare turn our balcony light on after a knock on

our door by security to turn the light off.

Recently returned from 14 days on the Regal where we had cabin R102. This is the balcony cabin on the port side that is closest to the bridgewing. We were surprised that our balcony light even worked and that there was no notice in the cabin about using that light at night. Personally we would not even notice if somebody had their light on since we keep the curtains closed at night.

Hank

I always ask Stewart to turn it off.

Many times I think people just hit the switch and never realize its for the balcony light.

Your comment will be a trigger for me to ask Stewart to make sure the balcony light is off after we return from mustard drill. :D

It's surprising that this would be a contentious issue with some. It's nice to sit out a night and look at the stars, the sea, the moon, etc. There's no question that a neighbor's balcony light interfere's with that. Not difficult to turn it off when not needed! It's simply being considerate.

• Like 1