Princess Balcony Lights - Annoying Neighbors

Thrak

One of the most annoying things EVER.

After day 2, I will either knock on the door (yes I will do that) or if I see the steward in the hallway I’ll ask that he/she turn it off when the room is cleaned.

-Andrew :)

I have been annoyed by this, and have asked the steward to turn the light off.

I would never knock on the door, and intrude on another.

If this were done to me, I would probably respond appropriately, and

make sure the light was on for the rest of the cruise.

I have been annoyed by this, and have asked the steward to turn the light off.

I would never knock on the door, and intrude on another.

If this were done to me, I would probably respond appropriately, and

make sure the light was on for the rest of the cruise.

If a person knocked on your door and politely asked if you would turn off your balcony light why would you do anything other than respond politly in reply? Now if that person pounded on the door and/or was impolite, that's an entirely matter, but why would anybody respond to politeness and courtesy with anything other that politeness and courtesy?

Tom

If a person knocked on your door and politely asked if you would turn off your balcony light why would you do anything other than respond politly in reply? Now if that person pounded on the door and/or was impolite, that's an entirely matter, but why would anybody respond to politeness and courtesy with anything other that politeness and courtesy?

Tom

And you had to take the bait...........

On the ships where you have to put your cruise card in a slot to get the lights to come on, does that also control the balcony light? On Ocean Medallion ships does the balcony light go out if nobody is out there? Just curious.

I love to sit on the deck late at night. I enjoy the night skies, stars and sometimes moon. I even sleep out on the balcony. Please turn off your light if you are not enjoying your balcony. I never ask people to turn off their lights. We all enjoy our cruises different ways.

Gilda

Edited by Sunflowertx
speling

I will raise my hand to doing this ~ accidently. Did not realize it until the second night when I wanted to turn the light off so I could see the ocean better. Finally found the switch to turn it off. Guess that I had fiddled with it when we got in the cabin wondering what that switch was for! I honestly felt bad that I had left the light on.

My guess is that most do not realize they have done this or that it bothers others that want to sit out on their balcony to gaze at the stars and listen to the waves in darkness.

I'm kind of surprised Stewart doesn't make sure the light is turned off first thing in the morning when the cabin is first attended...then it would have to be intentional for the light to be turned on...especially on a turnaround day

My balcony, my light. Close your curtains

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You must not enjoy sitting on your balcony looking up at the stars and looking out at the sea.

When the light next to you is on, you can’t see anything beyond a few feet, and the lovely feeling of sitting outside on a lovely evening isn’t there.

Try sitting out there sometime, you might see what we’re talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

I love to sit on the deck late at night. I enjoy the night skies, stars and sometimes moon. I even sleep out on the balcony. Please turn off your light if you are not enjoying your balcony. I never ask people to turn off their lights. We all enjoy our cruises different ways.

Gilda

I like to sit on deck late at night and read. In order to do that I will have the light ON. Some times I will fall asleep out there and wake several hours later. This is one of my ways of enjoting my cruise. Princess provides heavy light blocking curtains to block light infiltration. Why not use them?

I like to sit on deck late at night and read. In order to do that I will have the light ON. Some times I will fall asleep out there and wake several hours later. This is one of my ways of enjoting my cruise. Princess provides heavy light blocking curtains to block light infiltration. Why not use them?

I don't think that most people would have any problem if someone is out there using their balcony light. That is certainly every cruisers right. Where most, or all, people have a problem is when the light is being not even being used and where their neighbors' enjoyment is being infringed upon is where frustration and/or anger becomes apparent. I think most people can understand that. Then someone is doing something just to antagonize another and that is, at least to my way of thinking, just plain wrong. Makes you understand how fights, shootings, etc. occur around the world. Sad state of affairs.

And, before someone goes off the deep end and accuses me of instigating a fight or someone getting shot, that is neither what I said, nor what I intimidated so please don't go there.

Tom

I'm surprised by all the people who say to "close the curtains". How does that help someone to enjoy their balcony? The issue isn't inside - it's outside. I don't' see how that can be so difficult to comprehend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Where most, or all, people have a problem is when the light is being not even being used and where their neighbors' enjoyment is being infringed upon is where frustration and/or anger becomes apparent.

Someone might not even know there is a switch, or realize the light it on.

And you are going to become angry?

Princess provided the light. The occupant of the cabin is free to turn it on or off as they wish.

On 10/9/2018 at 2:53 AM, pablo222 said:

Where most, or all, people have a problem is when the light is being not even being used and where their neighbors' enjoyment is being infringed upon is where frustration and/or anger becomes apparent.

Someone might not even know there is a switch, or realize the light it on.

And you are going to become angry?

Princess provided the light. The occupant of the cabin is free to turn it on or off as they wish.

No, pablo, I'm not going to get angry. I didn't say that nor did I imply that. Quite the opposite. I'm failing to see how/why anybody is getting irate or angry when someone politely enquires about an unused light being turned off. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Tom

On 10/8/2018 at 11:37 PM, Pierlesscruisers said:

I don't think that most people would have any problem if someone is out there using their balcony light. That is certainly every cruisers right. Where most, or all, people have a problem is when the light is being not even being used and where their neighbors' enjoyment is being infringed upon is where frustration and/or anger becomes apparent. I think most people can understand that. Then someone is doing something just to antagonize another and that is, at least to my way of thinking, just plain wrong. Makes you understand how fights, shootings, etc. occur around the world. Sad state of affairs.

And, before someone goes off the deep end and accuses me of instigating a fight or someone getting shot, that is neither what I said, nor what I intimidated so please don't go there.

Tom

So how do you know what the person with the balcony light on is doing?  How do you know what their intentions are? Again there are curtains that will darken your room.  They are there for a reason.