Princess Balcony Lights - Annoying Neighbors

Thrak

3 hours ago, Potstech said:

So how do you know what the person with the balcony light on is doing?  How do you know what their intentions are? Again there are curtains that will darken your room.  They are there for a reason.

Okay; I'll ask you, how do you know that person is in their room and that the curtains would be of any use? Maybe they're sitting out on the deck enjoying the night/stars/whatever? 

To carry it a step further, what is wrong with making a polite request of someone to turn off a light if they're not using it and wouldn't mind doing so?  Maybe that neighbor with the light is out there reading and doesn't want to turn off the light.  He responds stating that fact and that closes the subject, he is using the light so it stays on. Or maybe he didn't realize it was on, says so and turns it off. Situation resolved in either case. In one case all or happy, in the other, one is, one isn't.  But, to my way of thinking anyway, to just respond nastily or to make the initial request nastily is a terrible way to behave as is to respond by saying, in effect, no, I'm not using the light but it's staying on just because it's my light and I can use it when/how I want just because is both juvenile and uncalled for. 

That said, perhaps we should just let this subject die and be gone.

Tom

On 10/8/2018 at 9:38 PM, Thrak said:

I'm surprised by all the people who say to "close the curtains". How does that help someone to enjoy their balcony? The issue isn't inside - it's outside. I don't' see how that can be so difficult to comprehend.

Some just DON'T get it.      🙄🙄🙄

The level of anger over this is laughable.........

45 minutes ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Okay; I'll ask you, how do you know that person is in their room and that the curtains would be of any use? Maybe they're sitting out on the deck enjoying the night/stars/whatever? 

To carry it a step further, what is wrong with making a polite request of someone to turn off a light if they're not using it and wouldn't mind doing so?  Maybe that neighbor with the light is out there reading and doesn't want to turn off the light.  He responds stating that fact and that closes the subject, he is using the light so it stays on. Or maybe he didn't realize it was on, says so and turns it off. Situation resolved in either case. In one case all or happy, in the other, one is, one isn't.  But, to my way of thinking anyway, to just respond nastily or to make the initial request nastily is a terrible way to behave as is to respond by saying, in effect, no, I'm not using the light but it's staying on just because it's my light and I can use it when/how I want just because is both juvenile and uncalled for. 

That said, perhaps we should just let this subject die and be gone.

Tom

If they are not in their rooms then how do they know thw light is on. If they are in the room and do not know the purpose of the curtain then they should ask.  Sorry you do not like it but the light being pn or off is your problem not the person in the other room. No one has said the subject is closed but it is for them.  Some people just think the world revolves around them and all should do as they want. Not gonna happen.

4 hours ago, Potstech said:

If they are not in their rooms then how do they know thw light is on. If they are in the room and do not know the purpose of the curtain then they should ask.  Sorry you do not like it but the light being pn or off is your problem not the person in the other room. No one has said the subject is closed but it is for them.  Some people just think the world revolves around them and all should do as they want. Not gonna happen.

Nope, not my problem at all. Never had the problem, said I did, or figure I will.  You must have assumed that somewhere along the discussion.

Tom

We're booked in our first balcony cabin in January.  Only done OV rooms before.  After reading these posts, I'll be sure to turn off my balcony light at night so I don't run the risk of angering or being disrespectful to my neighbors.  I'd probably close our curtains before heading to bed anyway since I don't want the early morning sun to wake us up.  We're early risers, but not that early!

On 10/5/2018 at 3:05 PM, Thrak said:

Have you ever had a neighboring cabin leave the outside balcony light on all the time? Does it annoy you? We have sailed in balcony cabins where the people next door just left the outside balcony light on for the entire cruise. I don't even know if they were aware that it could be turned off as the switches are usually pretty much hidden behind the curtain.

Am I the only one annoyed by this? I would love it if the stewards were required to make sure this light was turned off when they make up the cabin in the morning. It might well alleviate the problem as cabin occupants would have to find the switch in order to turn the light on and then at least one would know they were aware there actually is a switch and the light isn't just always on "automagically". I seriously think some folks don't know the thing can be turned off.

Yes, Thrak, I agree.  If people are out on their balcony and are using the light, that is one thing. But some people do not even realize it is on, and the switch is hidden behind the curtains. So, it's fine to ask the steward to switch it off.

Like everything else on a ship, the balconies are very close together, with only a narrow partition between them. Last week on the Regal,  we had next-door neighbors who spent a lot of time on their balcony, shouting back and forth with people on an adjoining balcony.  They would start shouting back and forth as soon as it got light in the morning ( about 6:45).  Then, Hurricane Michael came north from the Carolinas, and the wind came up to more than 50 knots.  The Captain took a detour to try to get out of the wind and the waves, but the wind was still so fierce, that it kept the neighbors inside, so it was a lot quieter on the balcony ( and in our cabin).

I think that other passengers don't realize how close together everyone is. It's like living in little studio apartments in a big apartment building. --  EBC

Yes I realized just recently how noise travels between balconies.  People were talking on the balcony next to us and I could hear every word (with our balcony door shut).  Maybe they just talk loudly but wow.  And some people stayed out on their balconies until midnight or later and we could hear them too.  It is indeed like being in an apartment building.  I just hope we have quiet neighbors next time! 

• Thanks 1

Okay.  So now this thread has been taken in a whole'nother direction...

Please indeed Turn Off your balcony light before (emphasis mine) engaging in  stargazing, watching submarine races, or other lewd acts on one's balcony.