Concierge class? Is it worth it?

sugarmidge

IMHO there are only two reasons to book CC on Solstice class ships - one, if you need the extra Captains Club points, and two, if the locations are significantly better. I don't think the other 'perks' are worth extra $$. On M class ships, CC and AQ are worth a few more $$ for the larger cabin size.

,,, but I want your opinion if Concierge class is worth the extra money? What is so different from booking a 2A balcony cabin? Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

This topic comes up regularly here; you can serach for Concierge and find quite a few threads. But here is one to get you started.

You will get a variety of opinions here. Posters will want to know on which ship you plan to sail.

• Like 1

We were booked in a balcony. prices dropped after final payment and we could move to a concierge cabin (got the extra points) for $10 more (gratuities are higher for concierge). We had the lunch in the MDR when we boarded the ship which was nicer than fighting the crowds in the buffet. We got the canapes several times (you leave a form outside your door each day if you wish to received them. We had the concierge print our boarding passes for our airline the day before (we did not have an internet package) so we didn't have to pay for that. Other than that, our room is the same as all others. I would not pay extra money for what you get.

For us we book C1 aft facing cabins because of their location. We also like the extra Captains Club points as we want to get to Elite, which we finally made after our last cruise. We like the canopies we get in the afternoon as well as the free bottle of wine on embarkation day. Priority check-in is also nice if you arrive when it's pretty crowded in the terminal. Is it worth it, for us it is. But if you are on a tight budget, then maybe not so much.

• Like 3

For us we book C1 aft facing cabins because of their location.

Yes -- that is the ONLY reason we would book a C-1 cabin: to get one of those fabulous aft-facing balconies, on the M-Class ships. Not a big fan of the canapes, but sometimes the room stewards will bring you cheese plate, instead. (At least, they used to.)

• Like 2

Generally not worth it - especially on S-class where the cabins are the same size as a regular balcony and the 1A cabins on the slant of the hump are cheaper and have bigger balconies.

Aft C1 cabins with the huge balconies on M-class are a special case - and highly desired.

• Like 1

Many times the price isn’t that much different between the classes so you have to evaluate every cruise. There is no one fits all when it comes to pricing. Sometimes there may be an extra perk included for CC and above. Other times AQ may be the same price or a few dollars more. I have seen AQ for less that CC.

In CC don’t let all the extra fluff fool you. Most are useless and you won’t even notice them or use them.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

"Worth it" depends on variables -- e.g., what's the price differential? What stateroom locations are you considering? Do you care about the extra Captain's Club points? Etc. There is no "one size fits all" answer (probably why the topic is debated so often on here! :D )

On the S-class ships, we prefer a stateroom on the slant of the hump; the balconies are larger and the location is very convenient. For those reasons, we'll look at the 1As and the C2s.

We were booked in a balcony. prices dropped after final payment and we could move to a concierge cabin (got the extra points) for $10 more (gratuities are higher for concierge).

Glad to hear this. We were on a 10 day Galapagos cruise on the Xpedition in Nov 2015 and got an upsell offer of $375 pp to jump from an OV to the RS. A once in a lifetime deal never to be seen again!

The greatest perk from that upsell that keeps on giving was that we went from 5 to 18 CC points per day. However, about 2 weeks after we accepted the upsell Celebrity sent an email out stating they were changing the CC rules where you would only get the points from the initial "full price" cabin you booked rather than the one you paid a small token to upgrade to. After the cruise we thought we got the 180 CC points because they changed the rules after our cruise started. But from your description, they either changed the rules back or we misread the email. In any event, I'm glad to see you still get the CC points associated with the cabin you paid an upsell charge for, even if it was only $10.

"Worth it" depends on variables -- e.g., what's the price differential? What stateroom locations are you considering? Do you care about the extra Captain's Club points? Etc. There is no "one size fits all" answer (probably why the topic is debated so often on here! :D )

On the S-class ships, we prefer a stateroom on the slant of the hump; the balconies are larger and the location is very convenient. For those reasons, we'll look at the 1As and the C2s.

$157

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

We booked a veranda on Infinity for later this month. We'd heard of people calling after final payment and getting a bump for little or no extra cost. So we called and, lo and behold, got bumped to a C3 (7190) for $0 extra. Since DW hates buffets just the embarkation day lunch in the MDR makes it worth a shot.

Not to us,unless it is free or almost free. I guess an aft balcony would make it worthwhile, but have never seen that: I guess just on M class ships?. The only things I liked were the extra points and the footstool on the balcony. So not

... I guess an aft balcony would make it worthwhile, but have never seen that: I guess just on M class ships?....

You are correct. When posters here talk fondly of the aft C1 cabins they are referring to the M-class ships. Those balconies seem to be almost as large as the cabin itself. For my cruise style, the balcony provides way more space than I need but the aft view is nice. I suppose if passengers like to entertain friends, then this balcony could come in handy.

The reason we first booked Concierge was for the larger cabin on M-class ships. We were doing a 14 day on Infinity, and although the 20 extra square feet doesn't seem like a lot, we thought the extra room would make it more comfortable for that long a time. Concierge Class also got us moved up in Captains Club more quickly with the 2 extra points per night. There was no Concierge Class luncheon in the MDR back then, but it is a nice way to start a cruise. The afternoon canapes are nothing to write home about and we usually ask for a cheese or fruit plate instead. The bottle of bubbly hasn't been left in our room on embarkation day for the last several years, but our steward has told us to ask for it when we want it. We trade it for a nice bottle of red wine or Prosecco. We'd pay a bigger differential on M-class ships for the extra space than on the S-class. FYI, the "dedicated Concierge" will help anyone one the ship that asks. We've had our post-cruise boarding passes printed when not in Concierge Class. I'd book Concierge again if the price differential wasn't great. The extras are nice, but not worth a big monetary outlay.

• Like 1

I recently upgraded to a Concierge Class balcony on deck 10. The cabin is on a slant, with a larger balcony. I paid less for the Concierge Class balcony cabin then I did for my standard balcony cabin on deck 7, so it was an easy upgrade choice.

Never having been in a Concierge Class cabin, I will have to decide if the extra perks are worth it (embarking lunch, sparkling wine, and treats in the afternoon. I know that I will like the extra points, and the larger, slanted balcony. My cruise is not until June of 2019.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely, positively not worth it.  We did it one time.  Every day we got a plate of unappealing strawberries or the like.  Cabin is exactly the same size as all other balcony cabins.   One positive was I think you get two points per night towards CC status.  

We generally cruise S Class ships and are fine with Concierge as long as we are not paying extra.   On our last cruise we were able to get a C3 cabin for the same price as a regular balcony and it looks like our next booking will be similar.  DW and I do not consider the Concierge thing to be worth anything...although we like having the footstools on our balcony.

As to Aqua, we used to do a lot of Aqua but quickly tired of Blu.  The menus in Blu got boring (they did not change for years) and our inside joke was how many ways they could make short ribs, braised lamb shanks, etc.  which all tasted the same.  We finally realized that it made more sense to book a regular balcony (or a free upgrade to Concierge) and buy a dining package that allowed us to make Murano our normal restaurant.  It usually ends up less costly then the AQ cabins and Murano is just in a totally different class then Blu.

Hank

• Like 1

We'd pay a little more on M-class ships since the room is bigger than a normal verandah room, especially on a longer itinerary.  But unless you want the extra captains club points, the rest of the extras in a concierge class room aren't worth much. We enjoy Aqua Class and Blu, again if the cost differential isn't too great, otherwise, we'd do the same as Hlitner. However on M-class ships we'd again pay more of a differential for Aqua and Blu since they've removed the Ocean Liners/Murano restaurants from those ships and we don't care for the ones that remain. As for the menu in Blu not changing, I agree again with Hlitner. However the menu in Murano is exactly the same every day and doesn't even change daily as it does in the MDR or Blu or Luminae. While we rarely miss dining in Murano and enjoy dining there once or twice per cruise, we'd be really bored making it our nightly dinner.