Dialysis in the Caribbean

Rbm40713

Besides Dialysis at Sea, great organizations but so few options, does anyone have any advice on how to find or schedule dialysis while on a cruise in the Caribbean. We want to take our mother on a NCL out of New Orleans and are struggling finding reputable dialysis centers on the islands we are stopping.

Dialysis at Sea is the only organization I know of that makes arrangements for dialysis on board. Some people have researched dialysis centers in their ports and made arrangements, but keep in mind that if you miss the port and need dialysis, you might have an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Cozumel was expensive. We paid almost $900. This included for a translator to stay with him the entire time. It took my neighbors who are Mexican to assist us in speaking with the hospital in Cozumel. The hospital was old.  Everyone there were very nice. He received his report in English had to wait for it to be translated. My dad made sure the needles and other tools came out of sealed packet.  Later he said he wouldn't do it again in Cozumel.  Cozumel was done in 2007 or 2008.

In Grand Cayman the hospital was pristine just like here in the states.  We paid around $600.

All of these were out of pocket.  San Juan and St. Thomas facilities were nice and insurance paid for the treatments.