Communication on the ship with Teen Daughter

Hi Guys. We are booked to go on Quantum next Oct from Tianjin to Singapore (repositioning).

We are travelling with two adult cruise virgins and our 16 yr old daughter.

When we cruised in the past we didn't have to worry about where our daughter was as she was either with us or in kids clubs.

Just wondered what everyone does to 'find' each other. I'm sure my daughter will like to 'chill' on her own without having her parents next to her - plus our friends.

We are travelling from Australia so our phone sims will not be local. We will purchase 1 internet package so she can do what teenagers do!

Someone mentioned '2 way radios' but that wouldn't be 'cool' in my daughters eyes.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Forums mobile app

We all bought the internet package then installed Whatsup app to text each other. We are traveling with hubby, myself, my brother, 19 year old daughter, her 19 year old friend, our other girls 7 &12. The two youngest will not have internet to give them a break. Our challenge will be the 12 year old. She is shy and will probably be with us or in the cabin.

Are you saying that I (with an android phone) and my wife (with an iphone) can communicate with each other on hangout without using wifi? Can google hangout be downloaded and used on an iphone?

Possibly and yes. Depends if they have fixed the hole in the firewall by the time of your cruise.

Thanks everyone. I'm an Android user she's a iPhone user so we will try with hangout etc. The IQ app may work out for us too.

We'll definitely be doing the 'meet us here at x time' thing too and meals are a family affair.

I was just concerned that being with 4 adults - she may need a break from us. :)

We've chosen the ship to have loads of stuff to do together anyways so let hope :)

Doesn't the Royal App do messaging now?

Plus, it currently does not do real messaging, it does real-time chat only. However, it does sound like the phone gets an indication of the chat attempt if it missed it.

Thanks everyone. I'm an Android user she's a iPhone user so we will try with hangout etc.

The iPhone user doesn't need Hangouts - they can get the texts directly (via iMessage). It's only the Android users who need some app.

As someone who sails with 2 teens- iMessage over ship wifi works great. The message function using the ship app basically doesn't work. Maybe 2 adults using it would, but with teens it really doesn't bc as Bob said, you sort of have to have the app on for it to work--we often wouldn't get messages until the next day. Just my opinion, but the main time you'll want to communicate is at night. If teen is in your room that makes it easier to know when she's home for the night. And we say that starting at 10pm they need to text us every hour telling us where they are--so if we want to meet up we have an idea of their location.

As someone who sails with 2 teens- iMessage over ship wifi works great. The message function using the ship app basically doesn't work. Maybe 2 adults using it would, but with teens it really doesn't bc as Bob said, you sort of have to have the app on for it to work--we often wouldn't get messages until the next day. Just my opinion, but the main time you'll want to communicate is at night. If teen is in your room that makes it easier to know when she's home for the night. And we say that starting at 10pm they need to text us every hour telling us where they are--so if we want to meet up we have an idea of their location.
Thanks Brookemill - she is in our room and tbh I think she will be with us in the evenings. She, at this stage, isn't convinced she'll be joining any teens in the 'kids club'!

Just to clarify and I'm hoping I understood you all correctly, are you saying that iMessage and/or Google Hangouts actually works on the ship without purchase of a Voom package??? Is this for the Royal IQ or the Royal app or both? That would be amazing if that's really the case...

Just to clarify and I'm hoping I understood you all correctly, are you saying that iMessage and/or Google Hangouts actually works on the ship without purchase of a Voom package??? Is this for the Royal IQ or the Royal app or both? That would be amazing if that's really the case...

Correct, but only for ships that support Royal IQ, namely Quantum class ships and Harmony.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2018 at 8:30 AM, Biker19 said:

The iPhone user doesn't need Hangouts - they can get the texts directly (via iMessage). It's only the Android users who need some app.

If an Android user wishes to communicate with an iPhone user, the parties will require a compatible platform (I.e. Hangouts).  

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, exercisemama said:

In order for the iMessage to work what is the difference between the Royal IQ and the Royal app? Will either of these work on the Symphony on our iPhones?

Symphony has the Royal app.  In order for I message to work you would need the internet package.

Many cruisers di not know that you can use the old fashioned phone in your room. And you can call from any phone on the ship, at a bar or guest services have a guest phone. You just dial your room number and if no-one is home you can leave a message. Handy if you are delayed or to check. "Still swimming. Back at 5 to get ready for dinner". When someone gets to the room they can see the red light flashing. 

Another thing is to plan your day over breakfast and agree what times you will get together and where. I sometimes travel with my friend and I go to spa etc alone but we always meet back at room at 5pm to prepare for the night ahead. Take a small notebook each so you can take notes. Pick up a ship map when boarding so you can find places to meet.

• Like 1

Another thing is to have a safety talk  on board, such as never go into anyones cabin and never sit on railings. People do get raped on ships, there is crime, and alas people do go overboard, probably when drunk.