Luminae or Murano?

LMC

My husband and I are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary aboard the Equinox later this month. We splurged and got a suite for this cruise (usually do AQ). So, should we celebrate our special night in Murano, where we’ve eaten many times, or in Luminae, where we’ve never eaten. Thoughts?

I can only give you our recent experiences on the Silhouette (CS) in July and on the Reflection (SS) in September (unusual for us to have cruises this close together). We were disappointed in Murano (especially service) on our Silhouette cruise in July. So much so that on the Reflection cruise we celebrated my 60th birthday in Luminae rather than Murano. We were not disappointed at all. If you have not experienced Luminae before you might want to decide after a night or two. The Michael's Club concierge will be able to get a reservation for you in Murano (especially for such a special occasion) if you should decide to celebrate there. Perhaps have the MC concierge make a reservation at Murano as soon as you board then decide. You can always cancel the Murano reservation after dining in Luminae.

My husband and I are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary aboard the Equinox later this month. We splurged and got a suite for this cruise (usually do AQ). So, should we celebrate our special night in Murano, where we’ve eaten many times, or in Luminae, where we’ve never eaten. Thoughts?

First, congratulations! Second, you won't go wrong with either, but I'd go with Luminae, AND with letting the maitre d know a couple of days in advance about the occasion as well as any special dishes you might want for your special night. They can get really creative in Luminae when given the opportunity. Also, and of course this is personal preference, Luminae feels a bit more comfy to me--Murano, as much as I enjoy it, does have a little of that mid 1980's vibe.

Either way, have a great trip and here's to your next 40 years together.

I would agree with Luminae but with giving them a couple days notice. We have had the Chef make a special entree for us, not because it was an occasion but because in conversation my DH mentioned he like something and the Chef wanted to make a dish for us. They work had to please.

i second Luminae. It is, by far, our favorite restaurant on the Celebrity ships. The staff will get to know you from day one and will bend over backwards to make you happy. If you let them know in advance about your anniversary, they will do their best to have your favorite meals ready for you and make the celebration special. Congratulations and enjoy

i second Luminae. It is, by far, our favorite restaurant on the Celebrity ships. The staff will get to know you from day one and will bend over backwards to make you happy. If you let them know in advance about your anniversary, they will do their best to have your favorite meals ready for you and make the celebration special. Congratulations and enjoy

So true. Happened to mention that we liked curry to our beautiful staff from Mauritius and they arranged for the chefs who were Indian to make our favourite curry. Spoilt for choice!

I like the suggestion of making a reservation in Murano, trying Luminae and then deciding.

We only book suites but it is certainly not for Luminae. The menu is not to our liking and it's just too quiet. We do not eat there. We eat in the MDR!

So try Luminae and then decide!

Absolutely Luminae for us....haven't bothered with Murano in several cruises....service is better, more personal in Luminae, if you tell them what you are celebrating ahead of time they will take even better care of you. The staff in Luminae get to know you and what you like and do everything in their power to make you happy. You can choose from their menu or the MDR menu and pretty much get what you want if it's on the ship somewhere, at least it's been that way for us.

I would agree with the others that Luminae tends to be better. That said the idea of making the reservation for Murano and then trying Luminae isn't a bad one since everyone's taste differs.

We have found that Luminae is consistently better than any of the other restaurants on X currently as far as what we like. As such we have stopped going to the specialty restaurants when we have access to Luminae. On our last cruise the Michael's concierge insisted we go to the new Tuscan as it was his favorite. For us it just reconfirmed that Luminae is still X's best restaurant in the quality of the food and service.

Well, is your anniversary the very first night of your cruise? If not, then it is likely you will have eaten in Luminae before that, right?

How about room service?

Adding on to this I would hope that you know that Luminae is your assigned restaurant for almost all meals on the cruise. You do not have a seat for yourself in the Main Dining Room. Luminae's menu changes daily while Murano's does not. We had our anniversary last year and ate in Murano as a special treat, all our other meals were in Luminae.

For me, it's Murano, no question. We were in a RS on Equinox a few months ago and ate in Murano several times during the cruise. On the night of my DH's birthday, we ordered the lobster prepared table side along with the filet for a little surf & turf. It was delicious! And then they brought out a cake for DH and I had not arranged for this in advance. It was really nice.

Luminae is pretty nice too...no complaints at all.

We enjoy the Luminae, but on a one day celebration the combination of the Luminae and MDR menu is not as exciting to us as the Murano menu. Yes, the menu for the Murano restaurant is the same everyday, but you are asking about dinner for one night.

Congratulations on your 40th Anniversary. We celebrated our 38th two days ago in Murano, so that would be our recommendation. We came back to our suite to find two kissing swans surrounded by rose petals, a nice signed card, and a bottle of wine.

You can review the Murano’s menu on line to help you decide. We now always eat at least once in Murano’s, but we usually select the night based on the Luminae menu. We do find the Luminae menus somewhat uninspiring and repeative (from cruise to cruise), but combined with the MDR menu we make it work. The service is always friendly and welcoming.

• 2 weeks later...

The Dover Sole or Lobster Murano are not to be missed out on! They do a table side finishing preparation on these dishes that elevate the dining experience here to something very special, and would certainly make your anniversary more so special! I’ve tried nearly all of their dishes, and they knock it out of the park each and every Time! Roquefort pear, goat cheese soufflé, or my father’s all time favorite, the scallop Wellington which he orders double every time! You can’t go wrong here! Enjoy your cruise! Happy Anniversay! Happy eating! 😁

16 hours ago, jobryan56 said:

The Dover Sole or Lobster Murano are not to be missed out on! They do a table side finishing preparation on these dishes that elevate the dining experience here to something very special, and would certainly make your anniversary more so special! I’ve tried nearly all of their dishes, and they knock it out of the park each and every Time! Roquefort pear, goat cheese soufflé, or my father’s all time favorite, the scallop Wellington which he orders double every time! You can’t go wrong here! Enjoy your cruise! Happy Anniversay! Happy eating! 😁

i feel like i am the only one that did not like the lobster in murano, and i love lobster. maybe it was just the way it was prepared, but i just did not care for it. it was like lobster thermidor which normally i would like, but maybe there was a spice in the sauce that would deter me from trying it again. i'm looking forward to trying luminae. most of our great dinners were in tuscan grille but then they took all the good items off the menu. 

Edited by CruisingTheWaves

Our experience in Murano on Solstice 2 years ago was very bad - poor service and bad food - fish was way too salty.  We just never want to go back to a Murano.  On the other hand, Luminae service was top notch and food was usually outstanding and they would make something for you that is not on the menu with 24-hr notice, or even modify an existing menu item for the same night.  We will be in a suite again this December and cannot wait to eat at Luminae again.  Our experience in Blu was fabulous too when we stayed in an Aqua stateroom this April.  You cannot go wrong with Blu or Luminae.  Murano is a definite pass for us.

Edited by CEOofVacation

We find that, while the food in Murano is excellent and over the years we have not had any issue, the waiters tend to be a shade over the top whereas in Luminae it is much more relaxed. In saying that for a special night I would tend to favour Murano. My wife however would want to go anywhere else other than Murano.