Does anybody have any PNG money they would like to swap ?

Cruzin to PNG and was wondering if anybody would have any PNG money they would like to swap ?, mainly looking for coins to give to the school kids, but notes are ok to.

Dont really want to purchase hundreds of dollars through the banks, as this is a one time trip.

Can do paypal for postage etc.

Thanks

I obtained my Kina when we called into Alotau, which is usually the first port of call. There is a bank near the wharf. You can also help out the locals by exchanging their Aussie $, that passengers used to pay for souvenirs, to Kina. I didn't bring back any Kina.

I obtained my Kina when we called into Alotau, which is usually the first port of call. There is a bank near the wharf. You can also help out the locals by exchanging their Aussie $, that passengers used to pay for souvenirs, to Kina. I didn't bring back any Kina.

Good tip thanks

Cruzin to PNG and was wondering if anybody would have any PNG money they would like to swap ?, mainly looking for coins to give to the school kids, but notes are ok to.

Dont really want to purchase hundreds of dollars through the banks, as this is a one time trip.

Can do paypal for postage etc.

Thanks

I bought Kina from the currency exchange in shopping centre. Could buy as little as $50 or less, no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I bought Kina from the currency exchange in shopping centre. Could buy as little as $50 or less, no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi thats interesting do you remember the name there is one nearby at a shopping centre will check them out

the PNG bank got back to me and confirmed all paper notes are now worthless.

Don"t they take sea shells any more? I think I paid my father in law in Port Moresby about 100 cowrie shell for his daughter in the mid 1960's, considered a bargain price at the time although my wife continues to label me a cheapskate!

• 4 weeks later...

Got a $100 Kina note from local shopping centre , cost AUS $53.00, that will be enough to give to the school kids, asked about the the buy back price, 100 Kina  was only AUS $33.00, not a bad profit for them, but I will give it all to the kids.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ended up getting to the Bank in Alotau, once we got past the security guards and high metal fences and locked and guarded doors, changed my 200 Kina for smaller notes, Missus changed Aussie dollars and got a great exchange rate.

I ended up giving away all my Kina to the school kids and a few pests on the beaches that stalk the cruise passengers .

Local money exchangers came on board but the line was so long we went to the Bank.

And PNG Customs made us fill out a declaration on all the things we were giving to the school kids like pens and pencils and the exact number of each, jeez.

Edited by castaway01

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

What a drama, I was not sure I was going to bother getting any Kina prior to arrival, may have to rethink it.

We haven't bothered to get Kina on the cruises we have done to PNG. We didn't expect to buy anything, but when we did buy some wood carvings, we paid in AUD.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:29 AM, castaway01 said:

BTW, only plastic notes are legal tender now, all the paper notes have been with drawn, according to the PNG bank, I have some paper notes but they are worthless.

Does this mean my cowrie shells, which I have saved since 1967 are worthless too?

Edited by Bpos

If you are going to pay in Aussie dollars take SMALL notes, one bloke was trying to exchange a $50 note for Kina.

The 2 small  islands that most of the cruise ships visit  are Kitava and Kiriwina they seem much more remote and have more trouble changing Aussie dollars to Kina.

The Conflict Islands insist you use their token system to buy anything , and they set their own exchange rate and they DONT buy back their tokens you gotta spend it all

And P&O do not buy back Kina

Edited by castaway01

23 minutes ago, castaway01 said:

If you are going to pay in Aussie dollars take SMALL notes, one bloke was trying to exchange a $50 note for Kina.

The 2 small  islands that most of the cruise ships visit  are Kitava and Kiriwina they seem much more remote and have more trouble changing Aussie dollars to Kina.

The Conflict Islands insist you use their token system to buy anything , and they set their own exchange rate and they DONT buy back their tokens you gotta spend it all

Sounds like a token effort to make money.