Maitre'D moved us to fixed dining...yes!

atexsix

It's late, but it works better, we now have our own table for two: no more reservations, no more being told something different depending on who answered the phone, no more having to time our arrival, no more checking in on LL and having to go back upstairs, we can just go right to our table as long as we arrive within a half hour window.

This was his idea because he commented as to why we had been dining later than usual, we explained it fell in between Lincoln Center performances, this was an amazing gesture, and a hefty tip is in order since the daily RSVP was becoming more stressful than it should ever be on a ship, so what is the best way to do that? Is it okay to hand it to him next time we see him?

This is an example of why we keep sailing with Holland, yes the ships have to evolve and adapt to the industry but service is always excellent.

It worked the first couple nights, but lately they've been telling us no RSVPs for tables for two until 800, and last night she told us 815..grrr...this is after first seating is long gone so not sure why the different times.

Happy to hear it :)

Huge tip is not required nor expected but I know that any tip is happily accepted ;) and will be appreciated ;)

You can either discreetly pass it now or wait until the end of the cruise (when more envelopes are passed) to express you thanks.

Front desk has lots of envelopes if you need them.

We always tell our TA that we want late seating & the seize of table when we book our cruise.

I do that as well but on one cruise my TA (now my former TA) could not get me a fixed assignment. How hard is it to find a seat for one???? Once I was onboard I was able to get it changed in less than a minute. I truly dislike open seating in part for the reason the OP mentioned. Having to make a reservation each night :( negates the idea of open seating to me.

...I truly dislike open seating in part for the reason the OP mentioned. Having to make a reservation each night :( negates the idea of open seating to me.

I thought you didn't need to make a reservation if you went after about 7:30pm? I assume you might have to wait a (short) while sometimes. We prefer assigned seating but on our next cruise only a guarantee cabin was available so also got open seating. Thought we might try it instead of trying to get assigned after we boarded, but might rethink that if open is a hassle.

I was a solo cruiser last May on the Veendam to Bermuda and found open seating to be quite enjoyable. I never made a reservation, I ate at a variety of times, and my longest wait was 5 minutes. I was willing to sit with others which makes a difference in the ease of getting seated, I think. I am cruising again in December and will be interested to compare my experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Maasdam in June and had 'open seating' for the two of us. We quickly got set up with a table for two - next to the window and just asked if we could keep it for the week. We never made a reservation after that first night. It was early - like 5:30, but it worked for us. :)