Why travel solo?

Quilcruisers

I'm single and I don't wanna stay home. Sometimes I'll take my grand kids with me but they're growing up now. In fact one of them assailed more of the world than I have despite still being in college. I go on Princess, do TD so I never dine alone, and my PCC gets me great sales so that I don't even notice the single supplement

On 10/6/2018 at 2:15 PM, Quilcruisers said:

Why do some of you travel solo? If you are married, does your spouse support it? Why do they not go? My spouse does not seem to enjoy cruising like I do, so I am looking at going solo. What do you all do?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In answer to your question if your husband does not like to travel and that includes cruising and you do then you place yourself in the position to go solo. My husband is happy for me he says if you like cruise voyages then go for it. I think it would be selfish of a partner to begrudge the other of doing this because he doesn't go. You should be able to have fun too. Perhaps I will see you on my next cruise which is planned for Sept. 2, 2020. A 14-Night Mediterranean Europe.

Have a nice day!😊

I think that one reason that would bother me with going solo would be getting to and from the port and embarking the cruise alone without sharing the excitement of it. I don't think that being on the ship alone would bother me. I hate either tagging behind someone or having someone tagging after me, even my dh sometimes, especially, if he's miserable with being there!

10 hours ago, titansrobin said:

I just got back from my first solo. Best cruise I ever had. Already booked solo for B2B on Allure in January.  I did exactly what I wanted to do. Some days I rested others I was busy all day. Not sure I’ll ever cruise with anyone again! 

Awesome:classic_biggrin::classic_smile::classic_biggrin:

Karinad, I flew in early and stayed 2 nights at Renaissance Cruise Port hotel.  I got a taxi from the airport to the hotel.

The hotel is in a very safe area and you can walk to all sorts of shopping and restaurants. I even walked across the street and had my nails done.  On the day of the cruise the hotel called me a taxi to pick me up early (9:45) and he took me to the port.

Was on the ship by 10:30.  Got a taxi to the airport on day I got off the ship. When I go alone and use a taxi I take a photo of the taxi cab with it's number and also take a photo of the driver.  I text those photos to my husband/son just in case there is a problem.  Everything went very smooth.

I travel solo when I want to or have no one who wants to join me.

i just resent that I have to pay double to travel solo. It also means I usually have to take an inside cabin or an outside if there isn’t too much difference. I’m an aft balcony snob!!!

Some travel solo because they have no choice, others because they want to.

Going solo has pluses and minus.    There was a point in my life where if I was dating someone , unless it was serious, I would prefer solo - maybe thats part of the reason I'm still single lol.   If I had a choice now, I'd prefer to take a significant other - but being single there is no one significant - sad, but true - so there may be another solo cruise in the near future....

While I could understand the reasons mentioned in this thread for married people to go solo, I really hope that is not my situation, if I ever get married I hope we always travel together - but maybe that's a fairytale

Edited by jmsnyc

I've only done one solo cruise (but I have two more booked) although I do solo land based trips a lot (or half-solo/half with other people) I guess for me I'd rather go, even if its alone than to not go at all. My friends/family think its odd sometimes "you went to Paris by yourself?! 😮 " uh, yeah? haha

On 2/5/2019 at 7:09 AM, Lois R said:

Awesome:classic_biggrin::classic_smile::classic_biggrin:

I am also looking forward going solo. I certainly don't mind being on the ship alone, the only concern is getting to the hotel and then the ship. It will not be the same day but I will be alone at the hotel and then taking a taxi to the ship that might be a little tense. Do you think that I have reason to be tense or nervous about it? I am pleased you had a great time being on your own.

I have no issue with hotels or taxis on my own.  Where are you cruising out of?  My last cruise was out of LA (San Pedro) but I actually stayed in Long Beach.  I took a shuttle from the hotel to the Cruise Centre but was the only passenger.  I had time that morning to walk over to the Aquarium which was fascinating.  When I’ve gone out of Miami I’ve met people on the shuttle from my cruise ship which is nice later on.   

• Like 1

Hi in answer to your question I am flying out of Toronto to Venice and as far as the hotel, I am letting the cruise liner pick a hotel for me.I don't know this information yet as the cruise is in September 2020. 

I see that you live in my province that is nice. I will be on the Voyager Sept. 2nd, 2020 so far I don't see anyone that has booked this.

Stay safe! we are in for a severe winter storm.....tomorrow.....and Wednesday.

I took a taxi from the FLL airport and a taxi from hotel to the port. I was never nervous. I take a picture of the driver and the taxi and text to my husband and son. The drivers know I do it. It makes my family not as anxious when I travel alone. Doing a B2B next January solo.  Doing a family/friend vacation at the beach this summer so I don’t always vacation alone but do like cruising solo.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, titansrobin said:

I took a taxi from the FLL airport and a taxi from hotel to the port. I was never nervous. I take a picture of the driver and the taxi and text to my husband and son. The drivers know I do it. It makes my family not as anxious when I travel alone. Doing a B2B next January solo.  Doing a family/friend vacation at the beach this summer so I don’t always vacation alone but do like cruising solo.

Thank you for your comments. I think that is a smart move about taking pictures of the drivers and I certainly will do this next year. Have fun on your trips.

1 hour ago, Lucid Butterfly said:

Do you think that I have reason to be tense or nervous about it?

No, but why are you tense or nervous?  Are you worried about crime?  Being looked at weird for being solo?  Worried about getting lost?  If you can tell us why you feel nervous, perhaps we can help you to battle that concern. 

3 hours ago, titansrobin said:

If you use uber or lyft the whole ride is tracked by gps in the app and the rates are preset

I just read through this long thread after booking a solo cruise for the first time.  Thank you all for sharing your experiences.     I usually cruise with my sister, but she has other plans for 2020.   I have two friends who might be interested in going, but this cruise might be out of the budget of one, and the other doesn't like to make commitments too far out.  It was such a good deal that I booked as a solo, figuring I can decide later if I want to ask someone to join me.  

I do a lot by myself, such as attend shows and take day trips, and once I vacationed for a week at a Florida beach condo and enjoyed it.   My biggest worry about cruising solo is if the experience will be diminished by not having someone to share all the port activities with.  There is also the issue that on NCL, there is no traditional dining which would alleviate the prospect of dining alone.   On the other hand, as I was reviewing excursion choices, it struck me that as a solo, I could choose whatever I want without giving a thought to anyone else's interests!   That has some appeal.

The cruise is 15 months out, and I am going to take my time deciding whether or not to ask one of my friends. I figure I have until about the time when I/we would be booking the flight.    Even if I do ask someone, they may end up not interested or be unable to go for some reason,  so I need to be prepared for going solo.  I will keep reading this board in the meantime!

Edited by Joanne G.

Hi Joanne, this is just from my experience but try not to be concerned about having a diminished experience.  I only sail solo and it is awesome:classic_biggrin:. Maybe it is partially because I live alone and have for many years so going solo on a cruise is the best way for me!....not having someone to share the ports with makes no difference.  Meeting people on a ship can be very easy

(If you want to).:classic_smile:

Hope you have a great cruise!

10 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Joanne, this is just from my experience but try not to be concerned about having a diminished experience.  . . . 

Hope you have a great cruise!

Hi, Lois.  I have read many of your posts over the years!  Thanks for the encouragement.  I started researching 2020 cruises in Europe as soon as itineraries were out, and I found myself thinking about what my potential travel mates might like.   When it dawned on me that I was the one who wanted to lock it in early by paying a deposit, I decided to pick the cruise I wanted and let the chips fall where they may regarding travel mates.  :classic_biggrin:

14 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

Hi, Lois.  I have read many of your posts over the years!  Thanks for the encouragement.  I started researching 2020 cruises in Europe as soon as itineraries were out, and I found myself thinking about what my potential travel mates might like.   When it dawned on me that I was the one who wanted to lock it in early by paying a deposit, I decided to pick the cruise I wanted and let the chips fall where they may regarding travel mates.  :classic_biggrin:

Hi Joanne, glad I could help and that is the way to do it.....book the one you want!:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

No, but why are you tense or nervous?  Are you worried about crime?  Being looked at weird for being solo?  Worried about getting lost?  If you can tell us why you feel nervous, perhaps we can help you to battle that concern. 

I can only say why I might be nervous is that I will be alone and you always want things to go smoothly; otherwise, I will not have that feeling once I am on the ship. It is just mind over matter I suppose. We always feel a slight nervousness when doing something for the first time and haven't you felt that way too? It's a normal reaction, I think that people going away on their own feel that way so I just put it out there, it won't prevent me from taking the plunge. Thank you.