Why travel solo?

Quilcruisers

14 hours ago, titansrobin said:

There is no way I get in a Uber or Lyft by myself. Taxis are regulated and do thorough background checks. I just feel more comfortable in a taxi when I’m alone. That’s just me.

Uber and Lyft are regulated by the state.  All drivers are background checked and have insurance requirements.  There is no guaranteee a regular taxi will be any more safer.   In fact, use rideshare I view as safer because everything is tracked via gps.   There can be crime with Uber but there can also be crime with Taxis, there can also be crime anywhere.    Uber and Lyft are now regulated by state law in Florida, it does not vary by municipality.   So Miami and Fort Lauderale will have same regulations.  If you want to pay more and take your taxi because you feel safer then to each their own but Uber/Lyft is a great , inexpensive, and safe alternative

I had a taste of being solo on our cruise to the British Islands last Sept. My DH refused, at the last minute, to go on 2 of the independent tours I booked before the cruise. I wasn't going to not go because he was miserable, so I went alone. One of the tours I sat with a woman on the bus that was with 2 other friends. They were a bit older the me, but, I could fit in with any age. I asked them if they'd mind babysitting for me on the tour. We had a nice time and I hope they didn't mind my forwardness. The other tour was all couples and I did feel alone for the one part that we were left on our own for 2 hours! It wasn't supposed to be like that from the tours description! That was the only part I minded.

Sometimes, you're better off on your own then with someone that doesn't want to be there!

• Like 2

On 2/11/2019 at 8:10 PM, Lucid Butterfly said:

Hi in answer to your question I am flying out of Toronto to Venice and as far as the hotel, I am letting the cruise liner pick a hotel for me.I don't know this information yet as the cruise is in September 2020.

I note that you are flying into Venice which comes with its own set of transport options.....like vaporettos.  Depending where your hotel is, taxis may not be a practical option.  Once you know where it it is, I recommend that even if you have someone else arrange your transport - you read about how to do it.  If any of your stay involves being on Venice proper (the islands and districts that make up the city), then bone up on using a vaporetto and plan on walking.  Google will help, as will any reading of the Venice forum in TripAdvisor.  Chances are there are also tips and posts in the CC Ports section on Venice.

As far as Uber, I don't use them a lot, but it is my first choice when I need a ride - regardless of whether I know the city or not.  If it was middle of the night, then it might be a taxi, but I try to avoid off hours travel.  Perhaps I am too trusting, but after having to experience an hour taxi ride in the dark from Kilimanjaro to Arusha (Tanzania, Africa) where there are no street lights, the arrange driver from the hotel was a no show, and all is new - well, after that, an Uber at 6pm in Boston is a piece of cake.
I find a lot of trepidation is due to not being prepared or educated in case a Plan B or C is required.  I rarely pay for someone else to make arrangements for me without telling them what I have researched and want done.  That way I know what to expect and what to do in case Plan A doesn't work out.  In the case of the Tanzania trip, I didn't have a plan B or C and had to fall on the mercies of a minister with a cell phone and good Swahili to arrange an alternate ride for me. It was not a good position to be in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mef_57 said:

I note that you are flying into Venice which comes with its own set of transport options.....like vaporettos.  Depending where your hotel is, taxis may not be a practical option.  Once you know where it it is, I recommend that even if you have someone else arrange your transport - you read about how to do it.  If any of your stay involves being on Venice proper (the islands and districts that make up the city), then bone up on using a vaporetto and plan on walking.  Google will help, as will any reading of the Venice forum in TripAdvisor.  Chances are there are also tips and posts in the CC Ports section on Venice.

As far as Uber, I don't use them a lot, but it is my first choice when I need a ride - regardless of whether I know the city or not.  If it was middle of the night, then it might be a taxi, but I try to avoid off hours travel.  Perhaps I am too trusting, but after having to experience an hour taxi ride in the dark from Kilimanjaro to Arusha (Tanzania, Africa) where there are no street lights, the arrange driver from the hotel was a no show, and all is new - well, after that, an Uber at 6pm in Boston is a piece of cake.
I find a lot of trepidation is due to not being prepared or educated in case a Plan B or C is required.  I rarely pay for someone else to make arrangements for me without telling them what I have researched and want done.  That way I know what to expect and what to do in case Plan A doesn't work out.  In the case of the Tanzania trip, I didn't have a plan B or C and had to fall on the mercies of a minister with a cell phone and good Swahili to arrange an alternate ride for me. It was not a good position to be in.

"I find a lot of trepidation is due to not being prepared or educated in case a Plan B or C is required.  I rarely pay for someone else to make arrangements for me without telling them what I have researched and want done."

You are absolutely right we all should do our homework before we take that journey. I will be doing more browsing when it comes to Venice or when I am going to be returning back home. Having more than one plan is best and I do appreciate your wise advice. I am glad I joined "Cruise Critic" because I am reading what people have to say and honestly I am getting sound advice. Thank you and have a wonderful day. :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2018 at 8:07 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I can’t imagine going on a cruise without my wife, but I think it is great that people cruise solo. We have met and hung out with solo cruisers on several occasions. I have more vacation time and job flexibility than my wife, but I would never go on a cruise without her. We try to limit our time apart as much as possible, so cruising solo definitely isn’t for me.

I totally understand what you're saying. My husband and I would have been married 48 years in December. He passed away September 30, 2019. We did everything together, but I have decided to try a solo cruise. I'm sailing on Carnival Vista out of Galveston on August 24th. I'm a little scared but excited also. It's given me a lot of pleasure just making plans and researching the ship.

I understand how going solo isn't for everyone but if I want to do a cruise and my husband doesn't want to travel at all and friends & relatives are not readily available do I guilt myself into staying home or go and enjoy my life, I know I won't be contented if I do stay home so I have to step out of my comfort zone and take a cruise which by the way is booked for September 2020. It was originally for 14 days but due to time constraints I can get away for 7 days. Either time is going to be great as I have an opportunity to meet others and it will force me to get out of my suite to meet others. All the best to the cruise members who are going with partners and to those who are going solo.😊

For me cruising solo is no big deal because I live alone.  I don’t just reside alone.  I live alone.  I go to restaurants, shows, and activities alone.

Doing everything solo has many advantages.  I go where I want, when I want, and stay only as long as I want.  I can change my plans anytime I want without consulting anybody.  I can wake up in the middle of the night, turn on all the lights, and make noise.  Since I am retired, I am in complete control of my life 24/7.

I did occasionally cruise with another person decades ago.  But, I am probably too old and set in my ways to do that again. 

• Like 3

"For me cruising solo is no big deal because I live alone.  I don’t just reside alone.  I live alone.  I go to restaurants, shows, and activities alone."

Sometimes one has to function alone and going on a cruise shouldn't be a problem for you then.To be honest with you I am glad I do not have to share a suite because not to have my privacy gets to me. The two other times I was on a cruise I was alone for the suites and I did not mind it at all. I love to be able to get up through the night and turn the light on without having to disturb the other person or not having someone waiting to use the facilities. It works out for me when it comes to suites.

This time however, I am not going with friends nor relatives so the only time that it might bother me on being alone is when I am going to dine. I will ask at reservations to put me with a group of people because it has its' advantageous: a) meeting new people, b) having interesting conversation c) you just never know what you will have in common with your fellow cruiser. " I did occasionally cruise with another person decades ago.  But, I am probably too old and set in my ways to do that again." Cap-n-Andy I just want to say you are never too old to cruise. Think about going again but have your own suite so you can do all those things like you were at home. It is after all a "home away from home" when you are on a cruise liner.😊

My first 2 cruises were with family, but I was in my own room, my upcoming cruise (just about 60 days out, but who's counting?) is 100% solo.  I eventually hope to meet a like-minded mate that likes cruising (or maybe she hasn't been introduced to it yet) but for now it's just me.

Butterfly,

For me, traveling solo IS my comfort zone; I have to make much more of an effort when traveling with my young man!  It's still a vacation, and still enjoyable, but all of the negotiating and checking and confirming about what he thinks he may or may not want to do, where he may or may not want to eat and with or without others - Argh!!!  Once on our way, it's more or less fine, but the lead up is horrendous!  The freedom when it's just me, is pure bliss and although the planning and lead up is a lot of work, it's exciting and no one to grump about it!  And it's also so much easier to meet new people as a solo.  You never have to be focused on "us" just yourself and those around you.

• Like 1

I agree 100%,:classic_biggrin:  Going solo is my comfort zone too.  I live on my own, have for many, many years......so cruising is no different.

Comfort for what I want to do, or not do, when I want to do it, etc....etc....etc...….

Lois I don't know who you want answering this "comfort" for what? I know for myself I have not been cruising for long so meeting others can be a little intimidating because I am getting out of my comfort zone and meeting others. I don't know what I will expect but I do make an effort to want to meet others and feel good about it. I am sure that others have in the back of their mind, will I be welcomed. Rejection can be brutal to the best of us. One wants to fit in and have a good time and I am certainly looking forward to my upcoming trip. I am a positive person and feel if I want results then I have to make efforts as well. 😊

I was replying to the previous poster and they said "cruising solo is their comfort zone". I was agreeing with them.  It was just a statement. I am not judging anyone.    I was just giving my opinion.

I'm single (divorced a LONG time ago), and I did a lot of solo business travel, including several international trips, before I retired in 2003.  I had also done a significant amount of solo vacation travel -- road trips, RV camping, and a couple of "packaged" tours in Ireland.  So after retirement, traveling solo was just natural.

I took my first cruise in September 2017 and was immediately hooked.  I've done two more since then (38 days and 28 days), and I have 5 more booked, including a 131-day World Cruise in 2020.  I'm perfectly happy traveling alone as I can set my own schedule, socialize (or not) when the mood strikes, visit incredible places, meet lots of interesting people, and indulge in amazing food, wine, and entertainment.  Even if I had single friends who liked to cruise, I'd still book a cabin by myself.  I need my "quiet time," and traveling solo makes that easier.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 1:47 PM, go.without.you said:

And the staff does treat you better. I don' know if they feel sorry for you or think you are brave. I don't care what anyone thinks.

I also cruise solo and thoroughly enjoy it.  And I generally prefer to eat my meals alone. This tends to generate a few questions from the dining staff. On a Royal Caribbean cruise I think one particular waiter in a specialty restaurant felt so sorry for me he didn’t charge me for my wine!  When I asked about it, he just shrugged and said no problem. I left him a very nice tip!  

A suggestion to the one a little uneasy going from airport to hotel to cruise port alone. I just downloaded the app on my phone called Noonlight. Once you put your finger on the button it’s tracking you in real time by gps. If you take your finger off you have 10 seconds to enter your code if you don’t need help. If you don’t enter the code the police and your emergency contact is called. Sounds good to me. 

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

I was replying to the previous poster and they said "cruising solo is their comfort zone". I was agreeing with them.  It was just a statement. I am not judging anyone.    I was just giving my opinion.

Lois I didn't take it as judging, sorry that you took my comment that way.  I wasn't sure who was to answer that so I jumped right in and I also mentioned comfort zone in my replies too. 

The main thing is have fun whether you are going solo or going with the gang. I think one doesn't have to answer to anyone when one is alone and that is the way I want it on my next trip. Take care.

Edited by Lucid Butterfly
a grammatical error

So glad to see so many solo cruisers! My husband and I are madly in love and love to travel together for a big end of year trip, but we travel separately at other points throughout the year, and we both love it. We live in Japan and both traveled extensively (mostly Asia), mostly solo, before we met, and it's nice once in awhile to take solo trips even now and just do whatever we want without having to consider another person. Very freeing!

Months ago, I ran across the cruise I'm taking at the end of this month and just couldn't get it out of my head. I really wanted to go and went on a major spending freeze to justify such a decadent splurge (for me, it's very much like that, anyway). I knew there was no way he could take time off, and he wouldn't enjoy these ports as much, so... solo it is! My ship had no solo rooms, but the price was still less then double, and I CANNOT WAIT to just lounge and relax and stare at the water and eat constantly*. I've been to a few of the ports already and look forward to exploring the others at my own pace. If I'm tired or not loving something, I can go back on the ship or do something else - nobody complains. As someone else mentioned doing, I will be dressing ALL THE WAY up for dinner because I want to. 

(*Look, I live in Japan - and while I love the food here, there is an endless list of "everyday" foods from my previous life that I miss. Last cruise, just being on the ship was almost like visiting my home country. My husband was maybe a little horrified/awestruck? at my incredible appetite, but I introduced him to so many good eats, too! Of course, I eat local in port, too, whatever I feel like because solo travel is awesome.)

The confidence and freedom and time alone with my own thoughts that comes from solo travel is something I've come to crave. It's not for everyone, definitely, but I love being alone and just looking after myself instead of others for a bit. Sure, I'm a little concerned about getting from port to town alone in a taxi/Grab/Uber/Lyft, but with a little research, it will be fine, and it's part of the adventure. 

Edited by mnin
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, titansrobin said:

A suggestion to the one a little uneasy going from airport to hotel to cruise port alone. I just downloaded the app on my phone called Noonlight. Once you put your finger on the button it’s tracking you in real time by gps. If you take your finger off you have 10 seconds to enter your code if you don’t need help. If you don’t enter the code the police and your emergency contact is called. Sounds good to me. 

Wow, what if your battery goes dead....

What country again is this uneasiness taking place in? 

Edited by jmsnyc