Collecting Seapass cards at end of cruise?

Hypo

Another reason is that there is a grace period for the old cards to open the stateroom, so it's possible that someone would be able to get into another's stateroom for a while. There's also the port security issue.

How would that be possible if the person got off of the ship not unless they were doing a b2b? If they were doing a b2b I would think that by the time a new persons luggage would be in the room that the old card wouldn't open the door any more. And the port security issue? Would that be someone trying to get back on the ship?

How would that be possible if the person got off of the ship not unless they were doing a b2b? If they were doing a b2b I would think that by the time a new persons luggage would be in the room that the old card wouldn't open the door any more. And the port security issue? Would that be someone trying to get back on the ship?

Most of these procedures are put in place because something bad has happened. Just because it might not be apparent how having a SeaPass card might be abused, does not mean it cannot be abused.

Another reason is that there is a grace period for the old cards to open the stateroom, so it's possible that someone would be able to get into another's stateroom for a while. There's also the port security issue.

Hey Bob-

Hmm -going to try that on our back to back next month! (Same cabin)

We do several back to back each year with the most recent just last month. We’ve never had our Sea Pass cards collected.

I also like to keep the cards. I had an issue with a recent cruise missing from my profile and I had to send Royal Caribbean a scan of my folio and Sea Pass card.

M

Hey Bob-

Hmm -going to try that on our back to back next month! (Same cabin)

We do several back to back each year with the most recent just last month. We’ve never had our Sea Pass cards collected.

I also like to keep the cards. I had an issue with a recent cruise missing from my profile and I had to send Royal Caribbean a scan of my folio and Sea Pass card.

M

It's been very rare in our B2B experiences for them to take the cards. On one B2B, I remember them taking cards only from those who were changing staterooms. In the 2 or 3 cases when they took our cards, we could get them back at Guest Services, but not on the first day.

That was my thought, I know they put a grace period on the rfid chip for the Freestyle coke cups. I've never done a B2B to see when the Seapass gets turned off.

• 6 months later...

Currently on the Symphony of the Seas, doing a back-to-back on the May 4th & May 11th cruises. Hopefully we’re allowed to keep our SeaPass cards from both cruises. I really do like to keep them as souvenirs, as well as proof that we did cruise. We are staying in a Sky Class suite so I will ask the Suite Concierges at some point this week.

Currently on Spectrum - when we checked in for the second leg of our b2b they punched a hole in the card and immediately gave it back to us.  Apparently a hole in the card renders it useless.  Don’t know if this applies to all ships or not.

On 10/6/2018 at 7:21 PM, Hypo said:

It has been reported by several posters that RCCL is starting to keep your Seapass card when you exit the ship on the last morning?

Why are they doing that?

This has never happened to us as when we disembark they hand our cards back to us after it has been scanned.

It's good to know you can just say no, and keep them. I also collect them. 

I had to replace my sea pass card once. It stopped working. Was not happy that my card color changed. Usually get a junior suite, and sea pass in silver/grey. When i got a new one it was blue, and they put the cheesy deluxe bev sticker on it. 

On 10/6/2018 at 4:25 PM, PhoenixCruiser said:

Quoting Bob as some seem to have missed the answer 😄

Only for Back2Back cruisers.

We did a B2B back in November on Mariner and they did not collect our seapass card from the first cruise....they just gave us our new ones for the 2nd cruise....we have both sets....my hubby collects them for some reason.

9 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

We did a B2B back in November on Mariner and they did not collect our seapass card from the first cruise....they just gave us our new ones for the 2nd cruise....we have both sets....my hubby collects them for some reason.

We keep and "collect" ours too. When we hit Diamond later this year...plan to make some form of framed display with them.

I only had independence ask for it back when I was b2b when the apass was malfunctioning  The old one stops working at the time they have b2b punch out for the zero count or when you meet to punch out on the old and punch in on the new which Indy did when in Southampton. The freestyle machine grace period on the other hand can be  ridiculously long .  I did a b2b on freedom in which the grace period was the length of the second leg. If that happened with a old seapass there would be a major issue 

We had one of our taken off us but that was maybe 8 years ago and we’ve been able to keep all of the others. Bit of a shame I’ve not got the full collection and in hindsight (and if it happens again) I’ll ask to keep it. 

On 5/6/2019 at 7:10 PM, RCI_TechNerd said:

Currently on the Symphony of the Seas, doing a back-to-back on the May 4th & May 11th cruises. Hopefully we’re allowed to keep our SeaPass cards from both cruises. I really do like to keep them as souvenirs, as well as proof that we did cruise. We are staying in a Sky Class suite so I will ask the Suite Concierges at some point this week.

We were on the Symphony  last month when I slipped and broke my right femur going to exchange  towels  in the solarium, It had just rained.  When  they were putting me in the ambulance they asked for our sea pass,  my wife said we save them. They let us keep them.  By the way, did they put skid pads at the entrance of the solarium door?  This happened on the 5th day of the cruise.

We are missing a couple. Hawaii cruise with disembarkation in Ensenada, they collected them from everyone. There was some grumbling, but we relinquished them, because we wanted to get on the buses. On a B2B from San Juan, they were supposed to return the week one Seapass cards, but never did. And we forgot to go and ask for them during week two.  

First it was the novelty of keeping them and then I read on here a long time ago if there was any dispute about cruise points the first thing they ask is if you have the SeaPass cards. We've been saving them ever since.

On 10/6/2018 at 5:20 PM, wolfcathorse said:

On my Mariner B2B 9-7-18 and 9-10-18, when we exited the ship for the 0 count they were collecting them. A lady ahead of me asked to keep hers so I did too, he gave it back but wrote down my cabin number on a list. So maybe they only keep them on B2B sailings but if you ask, you can keep it.

I was on Mariner B2B in February 2019 and I have both my sea pass cards.