Food on NCL - Have you noticed a downward change???

SoloCruise777

I was recently on the Getaway and the food was not as good as last year's EPIC or ESCAPE. Was it a one-time event or have others perceived the same thing. They are not serving the better cuts of meat unless you go speciality restaurant. Now it is lamb shanks instead of leg of lamb. Anyone else? Thoughts?

No negativity please.

We love the lamb shank! The leg of lamb tended to be dry.

NCL continues to try and adapt it’s menus for the contemporary cruiser. They just made another major change two weeks ago.

There have been many threads on the death of the chicken and fish fingers at lunch in favor of poached salmon. And scallops.

Gone is the chicken pot pie in favor of the Shepard’s pie.

A few more “healthy” dishes replace dishes which have lost favor over time.

There is a New York steak available in the Main Dining Room every night.

All a matter of taste.

• Like 1

25 years ago when we cruised, food was fantastic and they didn't have "specialty" restaurants. But when you are trying to convince people they need to pay extra for these "specialty" restaurants or for the "better" food in the Haven, why make the free food good? There is little incentive for NCL to make regular food good, in fact, there is more and more incentive for them to NOT make it great. I think they have achieved their goal.

• Like 1

Yes outside of the omelette station, the food is less quality, seems like they want you to use the dining room, they don't even have salsa as a condiment, are kidding me no salsa for your breakfast omelette!

25 years ago when we cruised, food was fantastic and they didn't have "specialty" restaurants. But when you are trying to convince people they need to pay extra for these "specialty" restaurants or for the "better" food in the Haven, why make the free food good? There is little incentive for NCL to make regular food good, in fact, there is more and more incentive for them to NOT make it great. I think they have achieved their goal.
That is a true dilemma right. They want you to spend money at all the specialty restaurants so on purpose you aren't going up make the free food as good. There is definitely something to this.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i

That is a true dilemma right. They want you to spend money at all the specialty restaurants so on purpose you aren't going up make the free food as good. There is definitely something to this.

If food quality continues it's downward spiral while prices rise it'll all end for me. We sail as a family of four and I'm not going to pay for specialty meals for four every night in order to get "good" food all whle already paying thousands just to get aboard the ship. When we sailed the Carnival Vista last year the food was school cafeteria awful especially the buffet. We sailed the new MSC Seaside in April and their food was excellent in the MDR and buffet. We sail the Bliss for 15 days in March with two kids in tow and will be observing the food quality come then. If you want to serve mediocre food, I'll take my money elseware before shelling out another $100 plus every evening for their good stuff. I hope others would do this is well .......

25 years ago when we cruised, food was fantastic and they didn't have "specialty" restaurants. But when you are trying to convince people they need to pay extra for these "specialty" restaurants or for the "better" food in the haven, why make the free food good? There is little incentive for ncl to make regular food good, in fact, there is more and more incentive for them to not make it great. I think they have achieved their goal.

Word

i If food quality continues it's downward spiral while prices rise it'll all end for me. We sail as a family of four and I'm not going to pay for specialty meals for four every night in order to get "good" food all whle already paying thousands just to get aboard the ship. When we sailed the Carnival Vista last year the food was school cafeteria awful especially the buffet. We sailed the new MSC Seaside in April and their food was excellent in the MDR and buffet. We sail the Bliss for 15 days in March with two kids in tow and will be observing the food quality come then. If you want to serve mediocre food, I'll take my money elseware before shelling out another $100 plus every evening for their good stuff. I hope others would do this is well .......

Never been in MSC, but been in most other main stream cruiselines, celebrity and Disney has some good food other than hit or miss, I think you will probably be disappointed with d's bliss food

• Like 1

i If food quality continues it's downward spiral while prices rise it'll all end for me. We sail as a family of four and I'm not going to pay for specialty meals for four every night in order to get "good" food all whle already paying thousands just to get aboard the ship. When we sailed the Carnival Vista last year the food was school cafeteria awful especially the buffet. We sailed the new MSC Seaside in April and their food was excellent in the MDR and buffet. We sail the Bliss for 15 days in March with two kids in tow and will be observing the food quality come then. If you want to serve mediocre food, I'll take my money elseware before shelling out another $100 plus every evening for their good stuff. I hope others would do this is well .......
I agree with you. They shouldn't be doing what I described. I personally have never been disappointed food wise on a cruise but we sail Royal Caribbean almost always. I'm not terribly picky either.

I just got off the Serenade of the Seas a week ago tomorrow. There was no reason to go to an upcharge restaurant. Food in the main dining room was fabulous every single night. Only on the first night was my escargot luke warm (and it was available 6 out of the 7 nights, as was shrimp cocktail (not huge, but considerably larger than NCL's). And they still serve lobster tail in there, and it was superb! Juicy, sweet, and a very good size. And the meals (breakfast/lunch) we consumed in the buffet were terrific as well.

I'm sailing on the Escape a week from tomorrow. We'll see how it compares. I understand there is a new menu in the dining room. We sailed on the NCL Dawn in Sept. 2017 (we're platinum members), and I don't recall it being as terrific as Royal Caribbean was this past cruise. I hope it is. I'll be thrilled!

FREE FOOD!!! Where do you get that. I have to pay up front for my food on a cruise:D

• Like 1

Actually I think there is every incentive to make the included food good, only a tiny % of passengers eat specialty, so many, particularly first timers, go away only with the memory of the included food.

NCL's food is decidedly getting worse. My last cruise where NCL served REALLY good/impressive food, was 2013 on the Spirit Barcelona to Venice.

But 2017 NCL Sky to Cuba ... HORRIBLE food. 2018 NCL Gem, HORRIBLE food. SO salty, my hands and feet puffed up immediately and I only ate 2 bites! Mislabeled food in the buffet. Label stated Something Tortilla ...and it was a Frittata! Put regular coffee in the Decaf dispensers. ALL of the meats were TOUGH ... so overcooked and tough. It was just all around horrible.

I have no idea what it means when I read a response that merely says “word”. What is that?

To the OP’s question I have been positively unimpressed with the overall food quality on NCL. That said, I still manage to find something that I enjoy eating.

Word means: I agree with you.

• Like 1

But isn't this thread negative? :confused:

No, checking to see if it was an anomaly. The food in 2016/17 on Epic and Escape were great. In 2018, things. changed Ori noticed a big change.

Edited by SoloCruise777
More information