Soda (Only Card)

chabad

Does anyone know if Princess offers a soda only card? I used to always get the soda unlimited package which was about $36 for a 7 day cruise. I cant seem to find that package available on board any more. Since I don't drink alcohol or cocktails those expensive unlimited drink packages do not meet my needs.

Does anyone know if Princess offers a soda only card? I used to always get the soda unlimited package which was about $36 for a 7 day cruise. I cant seem to find that package available on board any more. Since I don't drink alcohol or cocktails those expensive unlimited drink packages do not meet my needs.

They used too.

I think its (soda only) gone and they only have the soda and more @ $8.05 per day.

Soda and more is such great value, something you don’t usually say in the world of on board purchases. Soda, mock tails on and hot choclate for $8 is a steel.

The value actually depends on how you use it. Purchasing soda by the can on board is $2.30 per can ($2 + 15% gratuity). So if you use only soda, you need to drink 3 1/2 per day to make it a good choice. Also, soda in the package is the "gun" variety only; they do have more selections in cans. "Mocktails" are any virgin drink--there is a menu, but bartenders will make up anything they have the supplies for. The cost is about $5 each. The hot chocolate is from powder--my daughter was totally unimpressed!

You are able to bring all the soda you wish on board.

The ship is made of steel, so you don't need to worry about that. Whether any package is a "steal" depends on how much you use it.

Soda and more is such great value, something you don’t usually say in the world of on board purchases. Soda, mock tails on and hot choclate for $8 is a steel.

Not if you're a diabetic and only drink sugar free drinks, IE diet coke. I used to buy the soda card but now I bring my own 12 pack.

Get your hot chocolate at IC and have them make it with hot milk. It's much better that way.

You DO have to ask them though--the default is to make it with water. That's where daughter was so unimpressed as I'd forgotten to mention the "ask for milk" tip. You know it is bad when a kid comes back to the room with "What a rip off."

You DO have to ask them though--the default is to make it with water. That's where daughter was so unimpressed as I'd forgotten to mention the "ask for milk" tip. You know it is bad when a kid comes back to the room with "What a rip off."

Thank you, I had not realized you had to ask for milk in the Hot Chocolate! My kids will appreciate that!

Not if you're a diabetic and only drink sugar free drinks, IE diet coke. I used to buy the soda card but now I bring my own 12 pack.

Is there no diet soda's on tap?? I will have that problem if that is so. Haven't had a regular soda in about 20 years.

Is there no diet soda's on tap?? I will have that problem if that is so. Haven't had a regular soda in about 20 years.

Diet Coke is available from the gun. It is the only sugar free soda that is available that way. There is no Problem if you don't like the available gun selections--you are able to bring on board as much soda as you wish.

• 2 weeks later...

At $5.30 a day the soda card was worth buying.  Since we don't drink the mocktails the $8.50 Soda and More card isn't worth it for us.  Now we replace the minibar with soda and bring on a few cases, depending on cruise length.  Sorry, Princess.

52 minutes ago, LeeW said:

At $5.30 a day the soda card was worth buying.  Since we don't drink the mocktails the $8.50 Soda and More card isn't worth it for us.  Now we replace the minibar with soda and bring on a few cases, depending on cruise length.  Sorry, Princess.

It's a very minor point but I believe you'll find that the soda card is actually $8.05/day not $8.50 a day. Also it also still includes unlimited hot chocolate as well as the sodas also. One other change is that now it no longer includes the tall plastic tumbler with the screw-on cap and hard plastic straw that it used to either. This was the case on the Ruby on 22-29 Sep. of this year anyway. Luckily, I had a larger container that served in it's place.

Tom

I was going to get a soda card, as I like Mocktails and usually have one or two alcoholic drinks per day.  I didnt pay for the fizz in the alcohol, so was quite happy with the deal.

the link doesnt seem to be working now, so will probably have to purchase on board.  Is it the same price?

There is diet coke available under the Soda And More package.

Professor Plum, the package costs the same on-board as in advance.  I always buy mine on-board, because of stories I've heard of people having to bring printouts of their accounts to  the Guest Relations Desk and waiting in long lines, just to prove that they had pre-paid for the Soda and More Package.  I just buy the package on-board, usually within an hour of my boarding -- that's about when I am ready for my first soda of the cruise.

Last year, I finally tried the mock-tails.  Eh.

2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

There is diet coke available under the Soda And More package.

Professor Plum, the package costs the same on-board as in advance.  I always buy mine on-board, because of stories I've heard of people having to bring printouts of their accounts to  the Guest Relations Desk and waiting in long lines, just to prove that they had pre-paid for the Soda and More Package.  I just buy the package on-board, usually within an hour of my boarding -- that's about when I am ready for my first soda of the cruise.

Last year, I finally tried the mock-tails.  Eh.

I am on Princess for the first time and I did buy the Soda and more package on the web. I guess I will find out if this works out or not. I do plan to have the proof that I bought it readily available when I board. I guess it works for some people, maybe I will be lucky!  :classic_rolleyes:

On 10/7/2018 at 4:11 PM, antsp said:

Its a steal if you use it.  A soda fountain itself is probably a nickel at most from a cost perspective. But if you drink a few a day, and a mocktail or two, it's certainly cheaper than paying individually.

Going back to the hot chocolate drinks “made with milk” from the IC, are these considered to be included drinks when purchasing the Sodas and More package? 

Or does the package include only those made with powder?

59 minutes ago, KansasK said:

I am on Princess for the first time and I did buy the Soda and more package on the web. I guess I will find out if this works out or not. I do plan to have the proof that I bought it readily available when I board. I guess it works for some people, maybe I will be lucky!  :classic_rolleyes:

We always prepay ours and have never had a problem. However I am one of those people who print up everything in duplicate and bring the proof on board. I know it is psychological but I just like to pay for everything upfront so there is no sticker shock at the end of the cruise.

We definitely get our money's worth with the Soda and More. DH never drinks soda at home so on a cruise he indulges with Diet Cokes at every lunch and dinner. We really enjoy the mocktails when we are out by the pool ~ alcohol and sun are not a good mixture for us. We usually only have two cocktails before dinner so the beverage package would definitely be a loss for us.

18 hours ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

It's a very minor point but I believe you'll find that the soda card is actually $8.05/day not $8.50 a day. Also it also still includes unlimited hot chocolate as well as the sodas also. One other change is that now it no longer includes the tall plastic tumbler with the screw-on cap and hard plastic straw that it used to either. This was the case on the Ruby on 22-29 Sep. of this year anyway. Luckily, I had a larger container that served in it's place.

Tom

Hi Tom ~

I just found my plastic cups and straws from our last cruise 2 years ago - they are still wrapped because we never used them. I was thinking about bringing them with me on our next cruise since we are buying the package again. Did the bartenders refill the tumblers after they were used? Wasn't there a hygiene issue? I never understood how that worked.

20 minutes ago, hllwdcruiser said:

Hi Tom ~

I just found my plastic cups and straws from our last cruise 2 years ago - they are still wrapped because we never used them. I was thinking about bringing them with me on our next cruise since we are buying the package again. Did the bartenders refill the tumblers after they were used? Wasn't there a hygiene issue? I never understood how that worked.

Yes, they refilled the tumblers every time they came back to them. Same person was drinking out of them so I've never seen a hygiene problem with reusing them. If you want them in a "new" glass every time, they'll provide that too. In fact, when I gave them my cruise card the first time on this last cruise and asked for regular coke, no ice, and got the glass I realized that the old way with the large plastic cup was no longer being used. After using small glasses for a container a couple of times, I remembered that I had seen a plastic tumbler that was on a close-out in one of the shops and went upstairs and picked one up and started using it. From then on, it was just the same as before the change, only there was no sticker on the cruise card. They usually did take the cruise card, though, as they were apparently supposed to swipe the card to account for the use of the soda card. At least that's what I assumed they were swiping the card for that reason. 

Tom

30 minutes ago, hllwdcruiser said:

Hi Tom ~

Did the bartenders refill the tumblers after they were used? Wasn't there a hygiene issue? I never understood how that worked.

I never used the tumblers on board.  The bartenders/servers would give me a nice clean glass each time I got a soda.  I saw no point in using the tumblers.  And I too thought it was unsanitary.