NCL is heartless!!!!!!!!!!!

Coby25

This is just my opinion for what it's worth. I wish there was some sort of in between solution for people who do not buy the insurance. If you are not asking for a refund, then why not let them re-book another cruise and perhaps charge a small fee to compensate the cruise line for their trouble.
I wish they would do this as well, because then I wouldn't have to spend the money on insurance.

Think about that solution. Someone cancels for whatever reason 1 week or 1 month before the cruise. What if the cruise line can not re-sell that cabin before the cruise starts. The cruise line is out that money and if you times that times the number of people who would cancel for whatever reason and don't purchase insurance, pretty soon the cruise line will have to raise the prices to all of us to make up for the money they lose on these customers, because let's face it, they are in business to make money and they are not going to make less money because someone didn't purcahse insurance.

I wish they would do this as well, because then I wouldn't have to spend the money on insurance.

Think about that solution. Someone cancels for whatever reason 1 week or 1 month before the cruise. What if the cruise line can not re-sell that cabin before the cruise starts. The cruise line is out that money and if you times that times the number of people who would cancel for whatever reason and don't purchase insurance, pretty soon the cruise line will have to raise the prices to all of us to make up for the money they lose on these customers, because let's face it, they are in business to make money and they are not going to make less money because someone didn't purcahse insurance.

please stop making though out responsible statements only emotional ones are allowed lol

To be honest, if I knew that I could just postpone a cruise to a later sailing, I would never purchase insurance, even if there was a rebooking fee. For our family of 7, the cost to cruise is about $8000, we pay maybe $400 for insurance?

Also there would be nothing stopping that person from cancelling the later cruise for a refund because they are no longer in the cancellation penalty window.

Also there would be nothing stopping that person from cancelling the later cruise for a refund because they are no longer in the cancellation penalty window.
I would think that if a cruise line were dumb enough to consider this solution, they would be smart enough to flag the cruise, so that it couldn't be cancelled all together at a later date.

That’s a shame. The risk you take. Personally I would never travel without it. Luckily it’s probably only the cost of the cruise she’s out of pocket, the cost of a medical evacuation is horrendous. Sad she lost out this time, but let’s hope she has a positive outcome with her health, which to me is the most important thing. You can’t buy your health.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes...NCL has great ships!! But Corporate NCL has NO People skills!!! I had a cruise booked for mid October. Three weeks ago, I found out I have breast cancer and need treatment immediately!!!!!! Immediately, we contacted NCL, explained the situation and asked if we can apply the money paid for this cruise to reschedule one for sometime next year!!! We did not ask for a refund! We also mentioned that we have taken cruises with NCL in the past. We were told to fill out a form (email) and submit it for their review. Their response was basically telling us that since this request is within 30 days of sailing...too bad...they cant help us!!!!! And how ironic it is that we are in Breast Cancer Awareness Month!!! NCL may be a business but they are completely and absolutely heartless!! Cruel.

I would send a letter to the CEO of the line and CC the NY Times

Hang in there sister. Four years ago I had a very similar situation. I had planned a Danube river cruise and had to cancel d/t diagnosis and treatment. Fortunately had the insurance. Made it through surgery,chemo and radiation and two years later was able to reschedule and take the trip. Praying all goes as well for you. There is life after cancer!

If a company has nil customer service skills, then they need exposure, I’m sorry but someone diagnosed with cancer needs support, I’m truly amazed that the average cruise person just refers to insurance, has anyone had experience dealing with those people, that presume your lying until you prove your not.

NCL could have done more...

You are so clueless. You can't be serious.

Many people with illness and dealing with health issues INSURE their trip for this exact reason.

Why should NCL do anything when the purchaser declined the coverage that would have protected them in this case?

Edited by tonit964
punctuation

I would send a letter to the CEO of the line and CC the NY Times

Op can certainly do that.However,when you plan a cruise and don’t take insurance you are assuming a risk. Fortunately, most times you will not need the insurance.

We have always insured our trips. You just never know when you or a loved one will fall ill. As I said earlier, we had a death in the family while in Europe just prior to a cruise. The cruise, tours, and hotels all had to be canceled. Airfare had to be redone. It was a huge mess and very costly. Our insurance company has a 24 helpline and assisted us with all of this. It took us hours and hours even with their help; plus we were grieving while we were doing it. Over the years, we have spent thousands of dollars on insurance and have been so lucky not to need it until now.

We just planned another trip with the expectation that we will get back most, if not all, of the cost of our cancelled trip. Although I am sympathetic and wish OP a successful treatment and speedy recovery, they assumed a risk when they did not insure. Just as they have on this thread, most people will view it that way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the perceived "lack of compassion" comes in the form of the numerous posts with waggling fingers and shrugging shoulders "Welp, you shoulda gotten the travel insurance." "That's why we never travel without the insurance." etc. etc. Obviously she KNOWS that, and the title of the post was not, "Beat Me Up Because I Didn't Get The Travel Insurance" :rolleyes:

OP - I wish NCL would have had some compassion for your situation, but sadly they are part of a big corporation and not many big corporations have "heart" - they only see $$$.

Wishing you the best on your cancer battle - you got this!!!

All of the people who advocate sending letters to the media or protesting and the like because companies only see money and profits are missing one major point - Where do you draw the line?

My wife’s aunt died two days before we were supposed to leave on a cruise and my wife assumed that “aunt” was “family”. She is not, by insurance’s definition. Much consternation followed (we went on the cruise.)

Insurance is about risk, not about righteousness. You purchase insurance to have someone else assume some of the risk that things may go wrong. If you don’t purchase insurance, you are assuming the risk yourself.

If you then have something happen that affects your vacation, you can’t go back and have someone else assume the risk for you.

Where do you draw the line?

I’ve seen:

Cancer

Random family members expiring

Random injuries

A gay couple rerouted to a “gay-unfriendly” port

Bad weather

Various Reroutings that were not “pleasant”

All of these people bitched and whined here and elsewhere until the company buckled, to some extent.

It’s not just Norwegian. There are similar stories on all the cruise line boards.

So, the next time you think cruises are more expensive, this is part of the reason.

Companies have to make a profit. Part of that is assigning the risk that someone won’t show up to the traveler. If the companies are constantly bludgeoned into assuming the risk because of bad press, then the prices rise for everyone else.

Read the contract before you sign it. Understand what risks you assume. Determine which risks you are willing to take, and insure against the rest. It’s called being a grownup.

If you take a risk and lose, don’t go back and make it someone else’s fault.

I do feel for the OP but I have cancer survivors in my extended family, and I am assuming a good ending, given treatment.

If the OP then says she knows she should have had insurance, then the title of the post is incorrect.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you take a risk and lose, don’t go back and make it someone else’s fault.

The op did not lay blame on ncl. All she wanted to do was vent as explained politely and with class in this post.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!! Ironically, I always purchased insurance but didn't do it this time. Believe me, I know where my priorities are and where to direct my energy. I just needed to vent!!! Thanks again!

I am sorry that the OP has medical issues but it is statements like yours that really tee me off. I pay for my cruise insurance so I would be very upset to hear that NCL just reimburses someone because they escalate. Today's society is all about "me". Every where you look nowadays more and more people expect something for nothing. When does one take responsibility for their own actions. OP said she normally buys insurance so she knew what the outcome would be if she did not. I for one hope NCL follows their policy on this one.

Cancer is not a result of one’s own actions... talk about “all about ME!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The op did not lay blame on ncl. All she wanted to do was vent as explained politely and with class in this post.

I beg to differ. In the original post, the OP did in fact lay blame on NCL. The actual title of their post is "NCL is heartless". She is correct. They are a corporation with shareholders. I honestly do feel for the OP but it is not in any way NCL's issue. There is a product called traveler's insurance. As a shareholder, I don't want the corporation to refund every single person with a sob story, no matter how legitimate.

I think the perceived "lack of compassion" comes in the form of the numerous posts with waggling fingers and shrugging shoulders "Welp, you shoulda gotten the travel insurance." "That's why we never travel without the insurance." etc. etc. Obviously she KNOWS that, and the title of the post was not, "Beat Me Up Because I Didn't Get The Travel Insurance" :rolleyes:

OP - I wish NCL would have had some compassion for your situation, but sadly they are part of a big corporation and not many big corporations have "heart" - they only see $$$.

Wishing you the best on your cancer battle - you got this!!!

Most people have been sympathetic about the OP's health issue and wished her well.

However when the thread starter has 11 exclamation points in the title , it does raise eyebrows.

OP also knows it was wrong to not get travel insurance as she herself stated they have in the past.

Corporations are what they are -Money Makers, and it's getting worse with many cutbacks/less employees.

On 10/8/2018 at 9:46 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I would send a letter to the CEO of the line and CC the NY Times

Reporter here. I guarantee you, the New York Times doesn’t care. Your local newspaper (if it hasn’t gone under), maybe. But not the New York Times. 

That said, I sympathize. I had to eat the cost of a trip earlier this year because I was hospitalized, and now I know to buy trip insurance every. single. time. Good luck with your treatment — there will be other cruises. 

On 10/7/2018 at 7:10 PM, Coby25 said:

Yes...NCL has great ships!! But Corporate NCL has NO People skills!!! I had a cruise booked for mid October. Three weeks ago, I found out I have breast cancer and need treatment immediately!!!!!! Immediately, we contacted NCL, explained the situation and asked if we can apply the money paid for this cruise to reschedule one for sometime next year!!! We did not ask for a refund! We also mentioned that we have taken cruises with NCL in the past. We were told to fill out a form (email) and submit it for their review. Their response was basically telling us that since this request is within 30 days of sailing...too bad...they cant help us!!!!! And how ironic it is that we are in Breast Cancer Awareness Month!!! NCL may be a business but they are completely and absolutely heartless!! Cruel.

On 10/8/2018 at 1:49 AM, Trimone said:

Dear Coby, Very sorry to hear about your forthcoming battle.
For what it’s worth, in my opinion you should go on social networks, and tell your story, and how NCL cares about customers in crisis, many years ago Costa dumped us on the quayside in Dubai, and totally ignored passengers in the Ash cloud.
With the help of newspapers, I was fully refunded with accommodation and expenses, no ABTA, holiday network wanted to know, including this one.
The power of the press and social media, is the only way to expose these corporate money, before compassion outfits, in truth your application was possibly seen by some lower grade that possibly thinks saving $ is a good thing.
Stay strong

As everyone else is saying, i am so sorry to hear of you diagnoses but stay strong. I am sure right now there are most positive and favorable results with breast cancer than negative. 

As for NCL, I am sorry, but this is the policy or all ships and most airlines as well. This is the reason for insurance. You might know the one time you don't take it, is the one time it is needed. 

Good luck with your treatments.