Viking Saga & Norse Legends ?

rdt10

Celebrity cruiser looking at Viking Saga and/or Norse Legends cruise on the Rotterdam for 2020. What are your thoughts on the itinerary and ship? It is available in May, June, July or August. Which month would you recommend?

The Rotterdam appears to be smaller than celebrity's Summit or Constellation. We usually sail in Celebrity's concierge veranda cabins. If you have sailed both cruise lines how would you compare the ships? Any suggestions on cabin class and location on the Rotterdam?

Looks like a great itinerary, but concerned about not knowing anything about the ports, ship or HAL.

Thank you for your help.

Rick

Since you didn't specify the ports, or how the balance of sea & port days looks, I can only answer in general.

I have sailed that area many times over the years, and love it dearly. The ports are interesting, full of history, and a landscape different than other places in the world.

I love that cruises there never have too many port days in a row, nor too many sea days, either. There's a chance to stop and catch your breath (and restore your energy) with the balance this area has.

I haven't sailed on the Rotterdam in several years, but loved her when I did. She is one of the fleet's flagships, and therefore kept up beautifully. Her artwork is gorgeous.

Service is excellent, and the cabins tend to be larger than similar cabins on other lines; larger even than the same category on the newer HAL class ships. Since you like veranda cabins, you should look at both the Vista and Neptune Suites on HAL. The Neptune are huge, nicely configured for movement when there is more than one there. The Vista Suites are smaller, but still very nice.

Thank you RuthC. The ports are:

Viking Sagas:

Rotterdam

Sea day

Flam Norway

Cruising Sognefjord

Stavanger Norway

Kristiansand Norway

Cruising Oslofjord

Oslo Norway

Sea day

Rotterdam

Viking Legends:

Rotterdam

Sea day

Eidfjord Norway

Cruising Hardangerfjord

Alesund Norway

Geiranger Norway

Cruising Geirangerfjord

Bergen Norway

Sea day

Rotterdam

Both of these itineraries are available in May, June, July and August and can be done separately or as B2B.

There is also a 10 day Majestic Fjords cruise April 22-May 2, that looks interesting. I am curious about the weather that early in the year. The ports are:

Rotterdam

Sea day

Bergen

Flam

Cruising Sognefjord

Alesund

Geiranger

Cruising Geirangerfjord

Haugesund

Kristiansand

Cruising Oslofjord

Oslo

Sea day

Rotterdam

As far as the first two itineraries, I'd say it's a toss-up. Both have their charms. The sail up Geiranger Fjord, with the Seven Sisters waterfall is stunning, but then Sognefjord is also impressive.

Both itineraries have a balance of small settlements and decent-size cities; I'm especially fond of Bergen, where the Bryggyn area has a long history, and interesting buildings. But then, Oslo also has a lot to offer.

Are you sure you don't want to do the combined cruise??? ;)

I would not take the third choice in late April/early May, as it is just too early, imo. The chance of a snowstorm cutting into your plans is just too great. Been there, done that. However the itinerary is great, too.

I would go in mid-late June, when the days are longest, or early July when the weather tends to be better.

From mid June and later will be the best time to sail. Before that not everything might not be open or doable due to snow on the roads.

In Geiranger a visit to the Dalsbinna viewpoint is awesome, but since this is a higher elevation it will not be open early in the season.

I prefer the Viking Legends as there is more nature. Also sailing to and from Geiranger is by far the most beautiful.

I was on the Rotterdam last month for two weeks and really enjoyed the ship - enough so that I'm planning on spending 20 days on her next year. I thought she was well maintained and in good condition. Our cabin was a good sized interior stateroom on the Lower Promenade, so we were just a few steps from the huge outdoor veranda. If I am assigned that same cabin for next summer, I will think I've died and gone to heaven.

As for the cruises, Ruth C's suggestion of doing the back to back is excellent. Both itineraries have great ports, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the Viking Legends. Geiranger was my favorite port on my Midnight Sun cruise last year. We went to the top of Mt. Dalsnibba for an amazing view in the morning and in the afternoon we did a RIB adventure that took us up close and personal to the Seven Sisters and the drunken suitor across the fjord.

Thanks everyone for the comments. We are thinking of doing both. Need help selecting a cabin.

dfish, we are thinking of a veranda cabin to watch the scenery from our cabin, but don't mind an inside. What inside cabin did you have?

Is the vista suite essentially a veranda cabin? The pictures look similar to a standard Celebrity veranda cabin.

I also don't understand the range of square feet listed for the cabins. Are there some vista cabins that are larger or preferred? Which floor would you recommend?

Appreciate the help. New cruise line and ship for us, so having to start from scratch.

Are you aware that Nieuw Statendam also does very similar itineraries around that time? Nieuw Statendam is HAL's newest, bigger, and more modern ship. Since you're used to Celebrity, you might enjoy Nieuw Statendam more than Rotterdam, which is smaller, older, and more traditional with fewer dining and entertainment options.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/E0N14D/J038A.html (May 24 - June 7, 2020)

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/E0N14W/J043A.html (June 21 - July 5, 2020)

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/E0N14X/J050A.html (July 19 - Aug. 2, 2020)

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/E0N14Y/J055A.html (Aug. 16 - Aug. 30, 2020)

Nieuw Statendam leaves from Amsterdam rather than Rotterdam (city) though, so if Rotterdam is a must stop for you, Nieuw Statendam won't work.

Whichever you choose, hope you enjoy HAL!

Are you aware that Nieuw Statendam also does very similar itineraries around that time? Nieuw Statendam is HAL's newest, bigger, and more modern ship. Since you're used to Celebrity, you might enjoy Nieuw Statendam more than Rotterdam, which is smaller, older, and more traditional with fewer dining and entertainment options.

Nieuw Statendam leaves from Amsterdam rather than Rotterdam (city) though, so if Rotterdam is a must stop for you, Nieuw Statendam won't work.

Whichever you choose, hope you enjoy HAL!

Thank you. I didn't notice these and I think we would be happier on the newer ship.

Are the Vista suites worth the extra cost over a veranda cabin? They don't seem much more in price for a larger cabin. Do they come with any other suite benefits?

Any thoughts on the aft cabins?

Thanks everyone for the comments. We are thinking of doing both. Need help selecting a cabin.

dfish, we are thinking of a veranda cabin to watch the scenery from our cabin, but don't mind an inside. What inside cabin did you have?

Is the vista suite essentially a veranda cabin? The pictures look similar to a standard Celebrity veranda cabin.

I also don't understand the range of square feet listed for the cabins. Are there some vista cabins that are larger or preferred? Which floor would you recommend?

Appreciate the help. New cruise line and ship for us, so having to start from scratch.

On the Rotterdam, I had cabin 3418. It was wonderful and the room stewards were fantastic! However, if you go with Nieuw Statendam, you will want at least an oceanview. The insides are just too small for two people.

The vista suite is basically a veranda cabin. Yes, there are some that are a bit bigger and have a different layout from the others on the Nieuw Statendam. I'm not sure the bigger ones are worth the added expense. While the balcony will be wonderful, for scenic viewing it is generally better to be on an outside deck to get the panoramic view. On my Norway cruise last summer on Koningsdam, the captain opened the bow almost every day and the upper decks were great for scenic viewing.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I booked both cruises as a 14 day B2B on the Nieuw Statendam out of Amsterdam for June 21,2020. We have Vista suite 4119 on deck 4. 

Vista cabins were only available on decks 4 or 8. I prefer a deck with cabins above and below. I got the impression from the HAL rep that cabins are released over time and not all available when the cruise opens for bookings. Does that sound correct? If a vista cabin on decks 5-7 opens up I may try to change cabins.

Rick

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good for you!  You've got a long time to wait, but it will be totally worth it.  

Debbie

A long wait, but we have an Adriatic and med. cruise booked for next year to hold us over. Looking forward to the fjords and trying HAL. The new ship will be a bonus.

• Like 1

I am booked on the Viking Saga on the Rotterdam in June 2019.  Oslo was a must-stop for our group of 6, as my maternal grandmother was born there.  I am so excited and can't wait to explore Norway.  We splurged on a Neptune suite since we are going for my (small milestone) birthday.  Which is also how we chose the Rotterdam over the Nieuw Statendam, we couldn't get a Neptune suite when we were looking.

Edited by kas97
typo