Athens to Muscat - The Middle East with a Muse

Silver Spectre

On 11/9/2018 at 11:38 PM, Silver Spectre said:

Thanks TTS, it’s been really difficult over the last few days what with us winning our first ever Test Match in Galle, and the first one abroad in 2 years. Luckily we are sharing a hotel with Rooty and the boys, and there is not that much to do in the evenings other than eat, drink and watch the torrential rain.

Just wanted to say that I'm enjoying your posts and pics very much. Also good to find a fellow Test cricket lover on these boards. Only problem is which team you support but I'll forgive you 🙂

7 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

Just wanted to say that I'm enjoying your posts and pics very much. Also good to find a fellow Test cricket lover on these boards. Only problem is which team you support but I'll forgive you 🙂

Thanks, we are currently in the Earl’s Regency, Kandy,  along with both teams. Our group was supposed to join us for the next 6 days but the hotel didn’t book the teams in originally, so the Sri Lankan government has thrown all the tour groups out and sent us 2 hours upcountry to Dambulla. It’s a national disgrace, enacted by a tin pot dictatorship. We are so pissed off.

15 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Thanks, we are currently in the Earl’s Regency, Kandy,  along with both teams. Our group was supposed to join us for the next 6 days but the hotel didn’t book the teams in originally, so the Sri Lankan government has thrown all the tour groups out and sent us 2 hours upcountry to Dambulla. It’s a national disgrace, enacted by a tin pot dictatorship. We are so pissed off.

Wow, Silver Spectre, I didn't realize that you are in Sri Lanka now. An interesting time to be sure, with parliament dissolved and the government in chaos. From what I can tell, the protests seem to have been non-violent so far? Is that the case, or is that just what it looks like from a distance? I'm especially curious because I leave for SL in 6 weeks -- with a group of 15 students!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Unibok said:

Wow, Silver Spectre, I didn't realize that you are in Sri Lanka now. An interesting time to be sure, with parliament dissolved and the government in chaos. From what I can tell, the protests seem to have been non-violent so far? Is that the case, or is that just what it looks like from a distance? I'm especially curious because I leave for SL in 6 weeks -- with a group of 15 students!

As far as we can tell there has been almost no trouble. We are only watching U.K. news on BBC World, but the local English Language papers have reported no trouble that we can see. There doesn’t appear to be any extra police presence either.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Oh dear.  So you'll be doing the 4 hour round trip each day?   I've followed the Aussie tours in several countries and fortunately we avoided any mishaps. Hope the quality of the cricket makes up for the inconvenience.

11 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

As far as we can tell there has been almost no trouble. We are only watching U.K. news on BBC World, but the local English Language papers have reported no trouble that we can see. There doesn’t appear to be any extra police presence either.

That's good to hear, Silver Spectre. Thank you for the report!

3 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

Oh dear.  So you'll be doing the 4 hour round trip each day?   I've followed the Aussie tours in several countries and fortunately we avoided any mishaps. Hope the quality of the cricket makes up for the inconvenience.

We had final confirmation this morning that all legal attempts to keep us in the hotel have failed. Although we love the country and people it is highly unlikely that any of our tour group will ever wish to come back here again. What is really annoying is the lack of interest by the British sports press.

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Finally had a chance to catch up on the pictures. Great stuff!

Thanks JP, knowing they are appreciated makes it worthwhile posting. Found out yesterday we have super fast WiFi on our Team bus, but the journey to the cricket is so hairy that it is difficult keeping my IPad still.

The castle had a chapel on one side, in pretty bad repair though, and had been used by Bedouin’s and locals to live in for many years. There was a well and when besieged the Crusaders held out for a significant period. I believe the guide said the siege only succeeded because they ran out of salt.

111D8DD2-AE68-4ACA-80B8-7C290D7C5885.jpeg

2439DEEC-742B-4F63-B54F-F17B89AB86D9.jpeg

09CFCD1E-84C5-48A3-A28E-EB6779FDFF0F.jpeg

C0DE83E5-0179-4EB5-A7C6-615B71F37412.jpeg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

Totally off topic Silver Spectre but it looks like it was a good day of Test cricket.   I see that they have tried to make up to you for the inconvenience and I do hope you got a tasty fruit platter. 🙂

Three small bananas! Poor bowling today and a terrible decision to send Leach in as night watchman.

Mr. Silver and Mrs. Silver, now back in U.S. (at LAX airport now) after 5+weeks on our Panama to Paradise voyage.  Your delightful photos as JP mentioned above are terrific—thanks for taking us along—brings back wonderful memories of visiting this intriqing part of the World.

Now, look forward to following along regularly...and want to wish you a very Happy Birthday!

3 hours ago, WesW said:

Mr. Silver and Mrs. Silver, now back in U.S. (at LAX airport now) after 5+weeks on our Panama to Paradise voyage.  Your delightful photos as JP mentioned above are terrific—thanks for taking us along—brings back wonderful memories of visiting this intriqing part of the World.

Now, look forward to following along regularly...and want to wish you a very Happy Birthday!

Thanks Wes, I am glad that you had such a great time on your Regent voyage, the visuals were excellent as usual.

7 hours ago, WesW said:

Your delightful photos as JP mentioned above are terrific—thanks for taking us along—brings back wonderful memories of visiting this intriqing part of the World.   Now, look forward to following along regularly...and want to wish you a very Happy Birthday!

Appreciate the continued nice photographs from Silver Spectre.  Am now in Athens, Greece, and getting ready to board Oceania's Nautica ship for the first time later today to start our 20-day adventure through the Holy Lands and Middle East on the way to Dubai..  We have a busy port schedule with three islands (Patmos, Rhodes and Cyprus) in the next three days before arriving in Israel for two days to see Jerusalem for the first time.  Looking forward to seeing some of these sights previously shared. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 79,227 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

13 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate the continued nice photographs from Silver Spectre.  Am now in Athens, Greece, and getting ready to board Oceania's Nautica ship for the first time later today to start our 20-day adventure through the Holy Lands and Middle East on the way to Dubai..  We have a busy port schedule with three islands (Patmos, Rhodes and Cyprus) in the next three days before arriving in Israel for two days to see Jerusalem for the first time.  Looking forward to seeing some of these sights previously shared. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 79,227 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Cheers Terry, looking forward to your Oceania posts