Mariner Grand Pacific Paradise Voyage: Miami - Sydney, 10/10 -12/15/2018 - Rich48100

WesW

6 hours ago, WesW said:

Ida and I enjoyed having pre dinner cocktails in the Horizon Lounge while dancing to the “get up and dance tunes” of the outstanding Spontaneous Duo (Kasia and Boogie).

So glad that you and Ida are enjoying our very favorite lounge performers. 😊

Bob

Edited by boblerm
  • Like 1

Third "at sea" day. Today we crossed the Equator. A really fun ceremony.  Margaret and I are now officially  "Shellbacks."  Our Navy son may have had a bit more "intense" initiation. 😳 

After the ceremony, we simply relaxed for the day. Our official crossing was at 8:32 Hawaii time. Oh yeah.. we watched the sunset from our balcony...FANTASTIC! 😎

DSCN2302.jpg

DSCN2304.jpg

DSCN2307.jpg

DSCN2308.jpg

DSCN2309.jpg

DSCN2315.jpg

DSCN2318.jpg

DSCN2320.jpg

DSCN2323.jpg

DSCN2325.jpg

DSCN2327.jpg

DSCN2329.jpg

DSCN2333.jpg

DSCN2339.jpg

DSCN2340.jpg

DSCN2341.jpg

IMG_0446 2.jpg

DSC06562.jpg

DSC06572.jpg

DSC06576.jpg

DSC06587.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 2:26 PM, Paul Bradley said:

Wow, that's terrific, Jim, I appreciate you taking the time to do this! There's so much space - which will be handy as our daughter will be joining my wife and I....I expect they'll be filling the closet..... 

927 has a pull-out bed/sofa in the sitting area, but I think our suite will be basically the same otherwise.  I showed this photos to my wife and she's very impressed. 

Do you think there's enough space on the balcony for a third chair, or do you feel it be a bit cramped? 

Thanks again, and I hope you are having a ball on the Mariner!

Paul, the balcony is not a bad size.  I think you could get a third chair out there.  It's only about 6 feet deep but pretty wide.  I'd email RSSC or have your TA email them and ask for a third chair.  The crew is fantastic.  If you get on board and ask I'm sure they'll do whatever they can.  

Here is some pics of our balcony.  I also took pic of the curtain in the middle of the cabin. It's really nice. You can shut the curtain  to the windows, plus the mid-cabin curtain and it's really dark. But since your daughter is joining you, it gives a very nice "two room" feel to the cabin.  I think you'll really enjoy it.  

DSC06554.jpg

DSC06555.jpg

IMG_0439.JPG

• Like 1

Terrific, Crossing the Equator photos Rich and Jim, you both captured so well the fun spirit of this festive event—thank you.

Today, our “behind the scenes crew profile,”  (crew member who normally does get told “Thank you,” by Regent Seven Seas guests) is a member of one of hardest working—physically demanding departments of the Mariner—the Deck department.

Let’s meet a Deck Department DayMan, Christopher, Chu Tablazon.  

Christopher was born and raised in Manila, Philippines and he is married to his beloved Tina.  Christopher and Tina have two children, 26 year old Sabrina (named after one of Regent’s Chief Housekeepers) that Christopher worked with on Regent.  Tina is a graduate of the Philippines Miriam College.  His 21 year old son, Paul Simon is a graduate of the University of Santo Thomas.

Christopher has served with Regent for nearly  two decades.  The Navigator was his first first Regent contract back almost 20 years ago, in 1999.  He passionately lets me know even tho he has worked on the Mariner, Voyager and Explorer, the Navigator remains his favorite Regent ship.  Christopher says, tho smaller than the other Regent ships, the Navigator can go to unique ports than the larger ships cannot reach.  This is important for Christopher as one of Regent’s longest serving crew members, there are only a few ports in the world, that Christopher has not visited.while working.

His first assignment on board the Navigator was to work on the Fire Patrol, now Christopher works on the Mariner as a DayMan—a member of the Deck Department—performing a myriad of duties.  When Christopher is serving Double Watch, he steers the Mariner after Captain computes and implements the Mariner’s course.  Christopher also paints the Mariner internally (e.g. atrium, crew areas) and externally (e.g., hull, rails,suite balconies, pool area).  When you’re walking or jogging on the Mariner’s upper pool deck and smell fresh varnish or (if you are up very early (about 5-6a.m.) you see the Deck crew very diligently washing/scrubbing/using a pressure washer making the pool deck sparkle.   If you have a moment, please take time to briefly go over and thank Christopher and  or other members of the hard working Mariner Deck team.

When asked as a DayMan, what his most challenging work-is, Christopher said, when working on the Explorer and working as a two person side window washing crew.  This Cage which protrudes out of the side of the Explorer hull is necessary to clean side windows on decks 11, 12.  Christopher said, “ this is Dangerous because his fellow cage crew member and he are twelve decks When working he has the most fun is power washing the decks as it allows him to focus on his work and at the same time ponder about life with his family back home in The Philippines. 

Asked why he has continued to work on Regent for almost two decades, Christopher lets me know he relishes having made enduring working relationships (now friendships) with numerous fellow crew.  He also lets me know Regent pays well while he has had the chance to visit hundreds of ports during his Regent career.   Finally, Christopher lets me know he hopes to serve on Regent ships at least four more years, when he reaches his sixth decade (age 60).

It is no wonder that Christopher is known among many of his fellow crew as “The General,” for his long service on board Regent

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

92834969-03ED-4096-8408-71ADCDE925E6.jpeg

290FE719-B46E-479C-91D7-9199A22DDD2B.jpeg

Yesterday was another (our third consecutive) day at sea since leaving Honolulu Saturday, as our Regent Seven Seas Mariner cruise ship heads to French Polynesia.  We will arrive at our first FP port, Nuku Hiva tomorrow about 8 a.m.

First tho want to share a few words and photos about one of the most entertaining and popular enrichment lectures we have yet to enjoy on Regent.

June Teruya, during her “Spotlight on Polynesian Culture” provides Regent guests enriching experiences with Polynesian arts, crafts, and dance. On every sea day (five)during this voyage she teaches Polynesian dances/chants at 11 a.m., in the Horizon Lounge.  Then in the early afternoon, on one side of a jam packed (over 125 Regent guests who arrive a half hour early to get a seat) she teaches Polynesian crafts (e.g, making an exotic South Pacific seashells and Kukui necklace (Photos below) or today, teaching avid Mariner guests how to make a silk-poly Tuberose Flower wrap).

Ida was speaking with June after this Polynesian class session and June let Ida know she personally hand paints every kukui nut (e.g., raitea, bora bora).  She related that when another cruiseline approached her to teach and give her Polynesian culture classes, she let them know the cost for her classes—they demurred.  When approached by Regent to present her classes, she told them the cost, and Regent told her, “no problem.”  

Please enjoy a few photos of Ida and fellow Mariner guests learning how to make a Polynesian Kukui necklace yesterday afternoon in La Veranda.

0F2172E7-0DD9-44B4-B1A5-DB9121B0EAF7.jpeg

FC6F59D9-01FF-40F9-AAF2-D3081E086399.jpeg

892CD0D4-2760-45CB-A6CC-1A533D79E744.jpeg

72E4F7C3-F0C4-45D0-AD05-141723BB1FC0.jpeg

2040C6D5-EE0F-4512-B27A-9446A9214914.jpeg

40724F42-AAC2-462C-8A51-518228A6E6EE.jpeg

28C5C916-8EBE-413B-A2F6-A3A3322D43C5.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Paul, the balcony is not a bad size.  I think you could get a third chair out there.  It's only about 6 feet deep but pretty wide.  I'd email RSSC or have your TA email them and ask for a third chair.  The crew is fantastic.  If you get on board and ask I'm sure they'll do whatever they can.  

Here is some pics of our balcony.  I also took pic of the curtain in the middle of the cabin. It's really nice. You can shut the curtain  to the windows, plus the mid-cabin curtain and it's really dark. But since your daughter is joining you, it gives a very nice "two room" feel to the cabin.  I think you'll really enjoy it.  

Thanks, Jim! I think it'll work nicely. I don't expect to spend a lot of time on the balcony, it being Alaska in early June, but it is nice to have the option. Thanks for the photos!

This is a great thread, by the way - I'm enjoying hearing and seeing others' experiences ion the Mariner. It's making me really look forward to our first Regent experience! 

Edited by Paul Bradley
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Thanks, Jim! I think it'll work nicely. I don't expect to spend a lot of time on the balcony, it being Alaska in early June, but it is nice to have the option. Thanks for the photos!

This is a great thread, by the way - I'm enjoying hearing and seeing others' experiences ion the Mariner. It's making me really look forward to our first Regent experience! 

My pleasure Paul.  I know you'll love Alaska.  Any other questions, please ask.  

• Like 2

On 10/21/2018 at 4:43 AM, WesW said:

the near 464 Seven Seas Society members know (out of a total of 690 Regent guests on board

Two thirds return customers is an impressive retention rate. Particularly since with the advanced age of many cruisers they lose some to health reasons. Regent is evidently doing a lot of things right.

• Like 1

Regent tends to be addictive.   We took our first Regent cruise on retirement six years ago and we are looking forward to our 8th cruise in February.   Yes, it is expensive but I would rather pay upfront so I can give the cash register in my brain a rest.  While I go out of my way to save pennies,  I have discovered I am very good at spending great sums of money.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, forgap said:

...  I have discovered I am very good at spending great sums of money.

For some, but certainly not all, Regent cruises if you calculate the all-in bottom line and compare the amount to other lines, if can be surprising how little difference there is. For me, for example, I no longer am willing to fly coach for long distances, so including the business air in the calculations is a must.

That said, my goal is for my will to read, "Being of sound mind, I spent every damn penny." So far I'm on track.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For our fourth and final sea day we spent a nice relaxing day around the pool. Attended an interesting lecture on Coral Fish. Tomorrow we arrive at our at our first French Polynesian port of Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands. We are doing the "Visit to Taipivai Valley." Nuku Hiva is a secluded island and they simply book locals and their 4x4 pickups to take us by caravan around to see the sights. Many of the drivers know little to no English. They do assure us that the "tradition" of Cannibalism is no longer practiced! 😳

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

...Tomorrow we arrive at our at our first French Polynesian port of Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands. We are doing the "Visit to Taipivai Valley."...

The valley is lovely. Enjoy!

If the ship library has a copy of Meiville's "Typee", it is based on his experiences in that valley. If not on the ship, perhaps you will want to read it when you get home.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2018 at 6:50 PM, papaflamingo said:

Paul, here are a few pics of our PH.  We are in 909.  Love the suite!  We do have one with a bathtub/shower combo.  Not a big deal as I am not that tall. But when showering, it is a big step in and a very low ceiling.  Not sure if yours is a tub/shower or shower.  Closet is a bit small but still quite nice.  There is also a nice vanity in the corner not shown in the pics.  If you want any more pics of anything specific, let me know.  You won't be disappointed with a Penthouse.  It's a beautiful suite.  Oh yeah, there are 3 drawers in the buffet and 6 drawers in the closet. For us that's plenty.   Also the curtain separating the bed from sitting area really keeps the room nice and dark for sleeping!  Hope this helps.  

Again, any questions or any other pics, ask away!  😎

DSC06445.jpg

DSC06446.jpg

DSC06448.jpg

DSC06449.jpg

We were in 909 on our very first Regent (then Radisson) cruise which was Seward AK to Vancouver (the cruise on which the Mariner hit the "growler" ice berg!).   The "new" decor looks SO much nicer and more relaxing than the orange and yellow that used to be there.  Great photos!

• Like 3

Good Morning from the Marquesas Islands, Nuku Hiva on board Regent Seven Seas Cruises Mariner!

We dock in just a few hours and will enjoy our first shore excursion after leaving Hilo, Hawaii four days ago.  Regent guests will enjoy one shore excursion in the Taipival Valley, one of the richest archaeological sites in the Marquesas.  This valley is only accessible by four-wheel-drive vehicles.  Ida and I look very forward to our first visit to the Marquesas and especially to view the steep trails  in this valley, lined with “lush flora as well as exquisite mountain terrain.” (Credit to the Mariner Nuka Hiva, French Polynesia Flyer)

First, tho want to share our highlights from yesterdays fourth consecutive sea day’s robust entertainment activities on board the Mariner.

We placed the every popular Guest game of Baggo (Ida convinced me to play for the first time).  Alyssa (outstanding Mariner Production Cast singer) then proceeded to pair Ida vs moi.  We had fun, before I left to go attend the Cooking Demonstration put on by Executive Chef Wesley and Sous Chef Srinath.  They both expertly demonstrated how to prepare Malaysian Penang Beef Curry. 

We capped another fabulous & fun day on the Mariner with a delish Prime 7 (steakhouse on board) dinner with Peggy.  We all enjoyed meat dishes (baby lamp chops for Peggy, Sliced Prime Rib for Ida and Wes) and paired our meals with a full bodied (spice (pepper)  w/dark fruit Red, Lagier Meredith Syrah.  Ida and Peggy then enjoyed tasty deserts (Cheesecake for Peggy, and Deconstructed S’Mores for Ida).

Please enjoy a few photos and one video taken during the cooking demonstration.

Finally, look forward to our last Mariner, behind the scenes crew member profile  that we will do on our last sea day tomorrow.  General Manager, Michael Coghlan has helped select an exceptional variety of Mariner crew who do not normally get told Thank You by Mariner guests.  Tomorrow we will learn about a member of the Mariner’s Fire Department team.

9624BBF4-4FB3-4C1A-A6AE-FA743F6D5E3D.jpeg

5C1F6EA0-A25B-4930-A743-62D1335CDC68.jpeg

711ACA14-46AE-4770-B70C-8ED04FF2C37B.jpeg

7F1F1170-299C-4477-8DB2-066484899BED.jpeg

5FF611D0-6AED-46D6-9075-BA4E776C66A0.jpeg

D21ECF90-C45A-4019-A765-67E4E4A1B2EF.jpeg

F5A52125-069A-4781-9638-6E05869F100D.jpeg

5AF61C98-CAB2-413E-AC05-000C45305121.jpeg

A9023C56-B0BE-4D45-9651-1B92C4AABDC3.jpeg

D3990444-7F5C-4AA5-B493-58FF237802F3.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 2

Well, looking at Wes’s and Papaflamingos description of what we have to look forward to in Nuku Hiva, no need to go into any further detail.

Yesterdat was a play day and craft day for DW and I.  Played roll a ball. Then a session of Wheel of Fortune.  The teams were amazing, and one team solved the puzzle without even needing a letter.  I went to a reef and fish talk and DW did crafts and cooking demonstration.  seven Seas Society extravaganza, where a number of folks got their new pins to move up to the next level, including TNR, Terry and Ray, which I believe are now Platinum with free laundry coming their way.  Congrats.

had a great dinner and had Mizo glazed sea bass which didn’t disappoint.  Went to the Entertainment team performance of Burt Bacharach tunes, and they didn’t disappoint.  Summer again did an excellent job on Dionne Warwick tunes, and the whole cast was great.

off on our car jaunt on Nuku Hiva today, and hopefully the roads won’t be too bumpy.

Until next time, signing off.

• Like 2

Well, just got back from the pool grill dinner area, and as usual they did a great job on the burger.  We were tired from our excursion to Taipivai Valley, so just decided to chill in the evening and take it easy.

The excursion did not disappoint and the roads were good.  No bad bumps, and the drivers did a great job.  Caravan style with 4 passengers per vehicle.  Beautiful island and great views.  Cathedral was interesting with nice carvings.  Wonderful time with our UK friends we met onboard, John and ANNE.  Tour was supposed to be 3 hours, but it actually ran a little longer, but definitely worth it.  Tender back to ship just in time for lunch at La Veranda.

As stated above, just opted for Pool Grill Dinner, and now will just relax until tomorrow when we have a sea day on our way to Fakareva.  Probably another beautiful island, but no official shore excursions.  Maybe just a beach day, or time to spend on ship .  We will see.

Enjoy some pics.

3D3EFD77-DFF8-4126-8DA3-21A7092FDE93.jpeg

7EF1941F-E782-453E-99E8-73F115AF7184.jpeg

88D48E9B-DC26-4B15-A876-1D6E68116C5A.jpeg

F0886784-E687-4248-9B35-7D741CF2D109.jpeg

0848FE75-8630-4B40-8FAB-5029F5690870.jpeg

DD5C3549-6CD2-4399-8430-B08D844367DA.jpeg

15FE4730-2CD0-4D22-9FDB-ED7EEE7B85FE.jpeg

BC996C6F-1D2E-46D3-AEFC-2F45DF870837.jpeg

533DCCDE-D9BF-4633-998B-CF1B30CA461F.jpeg

AC954510-62E6-48EC-9E9F-01E7EB1F32AF.jpeg

531DCB5D-38E6-4D40-88ED-545BD7F1A52C.jpeg

C1C943D9-94C6-45B8-B2D8-F41E3556EC59.jpeg

821009A9-FBAE-4540-9843-0EA09D8D8AC7.jpeg

1D42F77E-FAB4-4697-A38D-DC1EBEFD4145.jpeg

• Like 1

All the photographs from all the posters on board continue to delight us. This looks like a wonderful cruise itinerary wise and onboard happiness wise. Every post from you all is so nice and cheerful to read. 

Thanks again for taking us along.   Jean.

• Like 1

Thanks Rich for posting Barbara and your beautiful photos of our Taipival Valley Nuku Hiva 4x4 caravan excursion.  Will add a few of our favorites taken during this visually stunning tour of the craggy verdant mountains of NH where the Maru Maru (Shady, Shady, member of the Mimosa tree family) were ever present:

Please enjoy some photos and videos of our visit to the beautiful island of Nuku Hiva, French Polynesia.  This is one of the six islands of the Marquesas that is inhabited in the main village, Taiohae (south coast)with about  3,000 residents today.  (down from about 80,000 earlier in the 20th century.)due to disease, living conditions, declining birth rates)

As stated in our Regent Seven Seas Mariner daily newsletter/flyer, Passages, Nuku Hiva is the port of entry for hundreds of yachts (cruise ships too) that visit the waters of French Polynesia every year on their way from the Panama Canal and or the Galápagos Islands.  Nuku Hiva is located about 932 miles north of our Tahitian ports (Papeete)to come.

Please enjoy some photos and videos of this visually appealing French Polynesian island (not dedicated to tourism making it so attractive).  Favorite photos of the many posted are; adjacent to central Taiohae’s Norte Dame Cathedral a snap of Maru Maru (Shady Shady, member of the Mimosa tree family) with the craggy Nuku Hiva mountains in the background), the pix of Ida and Marillisa (Mariner Destinations Department) overlooking Nuku Hiva) and of Ida rehydrating “Moby Dick” a puppy whose owner sells her wood crafts at the Central Market space in NH)

• Like 1

Thanks Rich for sharing your beautiful Nuku Hiva Cara van photos.

Sorry for duplicate post, still learning this darn CC format.

Please enjoy some photos and videos of our visit to the beautiful island of Nuku Hiva, French Polynesia.  This is one of the six islands of the Marquesas that is inhabited in the main village, Taiohae (south coast)with about  3,000 residents today.  (down from about 80,000 earlier in the 20th century.)due to disease, living conditions, declining birth rates)

As stated in our Regent Seven Seas Mariner daily newsletter/flyer, Passages, Nuku Hiva is the port of entry for hundreds of yachts (cruise ships too) that visit the waters of French Polynesia every year on their way from the Panama Canal and or the Galápagos Islands.  Nuku Hiva is located about 932 miles north of our Tahitian ports (Papeete)to come.

Please enjoy some photos and videos of this visually appealing French Polynesian island (not dedicated to tourism making it so attractive).  Favorite photos of the many posted are; Ida and Marillisa (Mariner Destinations Department) overlooking Nuku Hiva) and of Ida rehydrating “Moby Dick” a puppy whose owner sells her wood crafts at the Central Market space in NH)

A1938DD0-C542-4C31-9A5D-2642087D8818.jpeg

D86DDFF7-F5CD-47EE-93DC-F4CDE8C5871A.jpeg

0EF31BAF-804A-4EFE-AFEE-43A891351F32.jpeg

1EBF853C-06F3-4927-9AD1-0ABE28E20482.jpeg

1DD86025-5889-4E99-A6B2-D63EE92EA00F.jpeg

79011567-3A4E-49FB-AA5D-802D0DEBE23B.jpeg

A3EFA494-BB3F-4233-B377-8858C9B8CC05.jpeg

A9587F4F-4ABC-4C58-9335-B1CCBDF07798.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 11:39 AM, forgap said:

Regent tends to be addictive.   We took our first Regent cruise on retirement six years ago and we are looking forward to our 8th cruise in February.   Yes, it is expensive but I would rather pay upfront so I can give the cash register in my brain a rest.  While I go out of my way to save pennies,  I have discovered I am very good at spending great sums of money.

You would have taken the words right out of my mouth if I could write nearly as well. What itinerary are you on in February? We are on the Explorer segment from San Antonio to LA.

We also did the Visit to Taipivai Valley.  We were in the same group with Rich.  Had a wonderful time.  The weather remained spectacular.  They had been calling for rain but we got very lucky and had a beautiful day.  The sights were tremendous.  As Wes and Rich have already described, the Cathedral, all hand carved from local woods, mostly from Breadfruit tree trees was incredible.  And the views along the drive were breathtaking.  I won't post a lot of duplicate pictures, but will add a few.  After our tour we opted to walk around a bit and went up to the Tiki Tuhiva.  This is, from what I understand, the highest contemporary sculpture in the Pacific.  It provided spectacular views of the village and the ship, and was an interesting statue and area.  

We then returned to the ship, grabbed a late snack at the Pool Grill, and relaxed through sail away on our balcony just taking in the beautiful scenery.  Had a nice dinner in the Compass Rose, then went to the show which featured Pianist Liana Forest.  Then off to the Star lounge for an after dinner drink and some Karaoke and finally the Horizon Lounge for some music and dancing.  All in all a wonderful day.  

Here are a few pics, I hope I don't repeat too many from Wes and Rich.  

DSC06601.jpg

DSC06602.jpg

DSC06615.jpg

DSC06616.jpg

DSC06622.jpg

DSC06654.jpg

DSC06659.jpg

DSC06671.jpg

• Like 2