Mariner Grand Pacific Paradise Voyage: Miami - Sydney, 10/10 -12/15/2018 - Rich48100

WesW

I was actually trying to log into both Tapatalk and the old cruise critic, and it didn’t recognize my password.  Got on the ships Internet cafe computer, then onto cruise critic from google, then changed my password, then got on the boards forums to finally post.  Hopefully things will work now.

So zqeeze1, are you saying I need to delete the old cruise critic app and then reload the new one to be able to post seemlessy?

Just docked in Puntarenas, so off on our excursion.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rich48100 said:

I was actually trying to log into both Tapatalk and the old cruise critic, and it didn’t recognize my password.  Got on the ships Internet cafe computer, then onto cruise critic from google, then changed my password, then got on the boards forums to finally post.  Hopefully things will work now.

So zqeeze1, are you saying I need to delete the old cruise critic app and then reload the new one to be able to post seemlessy?

Just docked in Puntarenas, so off on our excursion.

Sadly, there is no new CC app, and as has been mentioned, Tapatalk is no longer functional with CC.

The only way of posting on CC with a mobile device (as far as I know) is to go to the board site on your browser   https://boards.cruisecritic.com/

For convenience, you can put a shortcut to the site from the home screen, or desktop of whatever device you are using.

From here, you can post text as well as photos from your device, just click on "click to choose files", and it is easy to insert photos from your device.

On the upside, you are able to edit posts which I was unable to do with tapatalk.

On the downside, I have not yet figured out how to mix text with photos, it seems that once you put in a photo, you can't add text after it.

Keep enjoying and posting!

Bob

• Like 1

Finally, you are back.  If it hadn't been for Wes posting on FB, I would have thought you sailed into a black hole.  Glad to hear all is well so far.

Rich, the walk in the clouds excursion that George and I did in Puntarenas was outstanding but was about 20 years ago.  Hope yours is good.  Say hi to Barb for me. So glad you have gotten to meet Wes and Ida.  They are dear friends.

I am not happy that Tapatalk will no longer work with CC.  That was the only way I knew to post pics.  Hopefully someone will guide me through the new process.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rich48100 said:

Well, this is Rich48100, and finally got into cruise critic to post about our trip up to this date.  Internet has been  slow, so trying to post early in the morning before the rest of the passengers get up at a reasonable hour.

We, fortunately, had no problems getting to Miami from Tulsa, and our bags showed up with us and had a smooth transfer to the Trump Doral for our one night stay and Gala dinner.  The property is beautiful, and we stayed in the Gary Player pavilion.  For this golfer it was a real treat.

The Gala itself went off without a hitch.  about 80 of us are taking the full Grand Voyage and we had a wonderful meal, and were able to meet a number of great people to be lucky enough to cruise with.  Jason Montague and Jason O'Keefe attended the Gala, and it was great to talk with them, and they mingled with the rest of the attendees.

Got on the beautiful Mariner the next day, and settled in to everyday life on the ship. Got into our room about 2:30, and proceeded to have a great meal at the Compass rose.  Next day in Havana, and got to take a tour of the city and saw lots of old cars that were colorfully painted. They really like pink!!!

A few sea days and then off to Cartegena.  I had been before so stayed onboard and wanted to see how it was having the entire ship almost to myself for a few hours.  Great wandering around, talking to staff, lounging around the pool, looking around for all the nooks and crannies I can enjoy later.  DW went on an excursion, and she thoroughly enjoyed the city and got in her retail therapy.  Also got to bargain with the locals, and was satisfied she got a good deal.

Then off to the Panama Canal for a daylight crossing.  Interesting to see the workings of the Canal. Lots of people in the Observation lounge and outside taking all kinds of pictures documenting the transit.  Nice commentary on board about the canal as we went through.

After another sea day, now about to go to Punteranas, Costa Rica for an excursion "Walk in the Clouds".  Little suspension Bridges in the forest to see all kinds of animals and birds, we hope.

Life onboard has been great so far, good meals, good conversation,  and all want to have a good time.  Two wonderful speakers, one dealing with the Space Program, and one dealing with all of our stops and what to expect at each place in the way of sights and wildlife.

This is a quick recap of our journey to date, and from now on I can hopefully post on a more regular basis in real time.

Really glad that you are posting.  You'll have to let us know what animals you saw on your "Walk in the Clouds" excursion.  It sounds like fun.  

Had to laugh about the pink cars in Havana.  They are certainly colorful and we found Havana extremely interesting.  Looking forward to your posts!

Good to see the bloggers return to the new, improved(?) CC  😄

We, too, have been following Wes's excellent posts on FB which have helped us get over our Regent withdrawal symptoms - having disembarked from Mariner in Miami on the same day Wes & Ida boarded.

• Like 1

Peggy   Michael Scott and a retired Air Force Colonel  we r on excursion now will get his name on return

Thanks all. We are now at an Andalusian Horse show in Punta Arenas costa rica. pls enjoy a few snaps

EE9505CF-2DF4-4A86-A341-E041F9469141.jpeg

F7681102-BB78-41D5-A903-60B8F1E04B6F.jpeg

826B394F-7F10-40EB-9C82-C415C4764BA7.jpeg

91D75528-A0B7-4838-9F05-6958108F78C4.jpeg

2C355792-247F-43C2-B747-BDC5503F4D7A.jpeg

9505C370-0D97-47DC-8B0F-1CB4AE09B589.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

Jmariner will find out who circumnavigation mariner leaders r and report back

Peggy u r very welcome  thanks 4 your kind words on our snaps 

Michael’s lectures  r near SRO  Lieutenant Colonel Retired Bill Randolph is r other enrichment lecturer  he discusses the Us Space program 

michael scott was on our Grand Voyage last yr loved the way he framed our expectations for upcoming ports

we just left our post excursion lunch one of best lunch’s we’ve had on an excursion even tho it was sponsored by distinctive voyages

lunch snaps follow and a photo of dear Ida at the nice waterfall  at our lunch venue

6BFA2BED-574D-433A-BFA9-F2A31B6023A4.jpeg

0CE5C9BC-DDED-4C11-8892-8F995A5387A0.jpeg

5F1DA276-91CD-4BA0-A635-A0DDB686D1A1.jpeg

7B6A8A3B-2455-403B-A74C-B855A76DF3F3.jpeg

72A6DAD3-C2E4-4E69-8D8A-F97CF518D13D.jpeg

9A41D52E-6CB7-4A2B-B797-A2557F880465.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

Wes, you and Ida are inspirations!    I don’t think I’ve ever heard you say an unkind word about anyone or anything (well maybe once. 😎).   I love your joie de vivre!   Keep the posts coming!

• Like 3

On 10/8/2018 at 3:58 PM, JMARINER said:

If you have some time, could you ask and find out who is onboard for the Circle Australia voyage that starts on Dec 15, when you debark. I know that Ray is going to be CD and Micheal is GM.

Thanks,

J

We would like to know this also. Thanks, Jan

On 10/8/2018 at 6:11 AM, tnr said:

Wes, we will join you in Hawaii, and look forward to hearing about your adventures before then.

Terri n Ray

Hi guys - looking forward to hearing your "take" on the Hawaii leg of this cruise.  If we had not been to Tahiti so many times, it would have been an interesting cruise for us.  

The Splendor Roll Call is down at the moment but I seem to recall that you two will be on the San Diego to Miami leg.  Do I recall correctly?  Hope so!

Jackie

27 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:
27 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Hi guys - looking forward to hearing your "take" on the Hawaii leg of this cruise.  If we had not been to Tahiti so many times, it would have been an interesting cruise for us.  

Aloha Wes and Ida:

If you get a moment, we would also be interested in your plans/tours while on Maui on the 31st.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

I went ahead and posted pictures of our walk in the Cloud tour early, now hear is the story.  Since Celebrity was next to us they let there people off first which really caused a backup in all our excursions.  Ours got off about a half hour late.  We had about a 1 and a half hour drive to the location, and by the time we got there it was time for lunch.  It was planned to eat after the walk, but we ate before instead. No problem.  The walk itself was a nice one through the tropics.  Saw butterflies and humming birds, the bridges were easy with just a little swaying.  Everyone on the trip was able bodied and we made it back to the busses with no problems.  

Then the interesting part began.  Since we were late leaving it was going to be touch and go getting back by 5, when the ship was supposed to sail.  It was raining by this time and as we were about to round a mountain corner there was a traffic backup.  One of the Regent busses had gone into the ditch, and was sitting at about a 30 degree angle. To make a long story short, no one was seriously injured. Bumps and bruises.  Could have been a lot worse.  Fortunately another bus came along from somewhere and loaded them up and we went on our merry way.  Got back to the ship about a half hour late.

Apparently the bus had to swerve to miss an oncoming trash truck.  Someone broke out a window to get some passengers out, and then the door was finally pryed open to let the others out.

got back to the ship just in time to hear the ships captain say that the next port, Corinto, Nicaragua was being cancelled due to continued turmoil.  Not unexpected as the previous cruise had also missed it.  Disappointed, but not the end of the world.  

Since we were tired and didn’t feel like getting cleaned up for dinner, took advantage of the new dinner at the grill.  Lots of different choices, as well as a buffet.  Not extremely crowded, but glad we had that option.  Now will get cleaned up a bit and go see John Barron, Cruise Director, do his show.  

Until next time, and maybe slightly less adventurous.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rich48100 said:

I went ahead and posted pictures of our walk in the Cloud tour early, now hear is the story.  Since Celebrity was next to us they let there people off first which really caused a backup in all our excursions.  Ours got off about a half hour late.  We had about a 1 and a half hour drive to the location, and by the time we got there it was time for lunch.  It was planned to eat after the walk, but we ate before instead. No problem.  The walk itself was a nice one through the tropics.  Saw butterflies and humming birds, the bridges were easy with just a little swaying.  Everyone on the trip was able bodied and we made it back to the busses with no problems.  

Then the interesting part began.  Since we were late leaving it was going to be touch and go getting back by 5, when the ship was supposed to sail.  It was raining by this time and as we were about to round a mountain corner there was a traffic backup.  One of the Regent busses had gone into the ditch, and was sitting at about a 30 degree angle. To make a long story short, no one was seriously injured. Bumps and bruises.  Could have been a lot worse.  Fortunately another bus came along from somewhere and loaded them up and we went on our merry way.  Got back to the ship about a half hour late.

Apparently the bus had to swerve to miss an oncoming trash truck.  Someone broke out a window to get some passengers out, and then the door was finally pryed open to let the others out.

got back to the ship just in time to hear the ships captain say that the next port, Corinto, Nicaragua was being cancelled due to continued turmoil.  Not unexpected as the previous cruise had also missed it.  Disappointed, but not the end of the world.  

Since we were tired and didn’t feel like getting cleaned up for dinner, took advantage of the new dinner at the grill.  Lots of different choices, as well as a buffet.  Not extremely crowded, but glad we had that option.  Now will get cleaned up a bit and go see John Barron, Cruise Director, do his show.  

Until next time, and maybe slightly less adventurous.

Also glad that you are safe.  The people on that bus certainly had a lot to go through.  

It is definitely interesting but not surprising that Nicaragua was cancelled.  We are scheduled to go there in February but doubt if we will stop.  Fortunately, we spent a week in Nicaragua several years ago.  

Wish that we could have joined you to see John's show - In my opinion, it is the best show on Regent!  Hope that you enjoyed it!

44 minutes ago, rich48100 said:

Great to have this excellent thread back live with us. Enjoying the photos and updates.

Sorry to hear of the coach accident on the excursion. Glad to read everyone is safe. 

Looking forward to your next instalment, continue to have a wonderful time.    Jean.

Thank you so much Rachel and Malbec Wine for your too kind words—we share our Regent experiences as a result of our passion for both Cruise Critic and Regent (CC members and Regent crew)

We want to give belated (tardy due to CC 2.0 migration)  hearty shout out/thanks to Marc, Zqueeze/Roberto and TB, Tori/Terri and Ray, Flossie009, Got 2 Cruise (and for heads up on CC going offline for migration to CC 2.0) for your South Pacific Crossing well wishes.

Briar14; will do, Silver Sweethearts; will let u know what we r doing in Maui on next post,  Rich & Barb; cann’t wait to hear about y’alls Excursion in person.  Captain Green told me during our Spin time that one of the buses was late (we both do 30-60 min of indoor cycling on our own but sometimes find that we cross cycle time.)

Have to correct the last name of our Space enrichment lecturer, it is Lieutenant Colonel (Retired) Bill Rothschild.  Today, his lecture is “Mission to the Moon.   Michael Scott (our other enrichment lecturer is presenting “Mexican Perspectives:  Acapulco & Cabo San Lucas”

Last night we were enthralled/in stitches/singing along with John Barron’s (our Cruise Director) absolutely outstanding  evening show centered around Big Band Classics along with some Michael Buble, and Elton John.

Ida and I enjoyed an exceptionally (again) delish dinner in Compass Rose (have posted a few snaps—but so dislike the blue tint emanating form photos now taken in CR at night).  We had Dover Sole (Ida), Destination fish dish & Vegetarian dish (Wes) no desert as  we wanted to get to John Barron’s show early—nearly SRO.  Did through in another shot like Rich did earlier of the Celebrity Infinity berthed next to us.  And another photo of us taken by one of our room stewards, Sheryl.

4223E301-8CA1-412E-9EEB-D20D153A1A34.jpeg

5929AC70-0587-4A7D-9CD3-31F7E8CC40D7.jpeg

004FC9DF-80C3-42E3-A526-2CDDC358184C.jpeg

65DFD012-43C9-4959-8099-C818602B17FB.jpeg

05C2DBB7-3B9F-4DBF-ADC3-117797863F8B.jpeg

3B7E0964-A6CE-486D-8135-C31E0DE72C4A.jpeg

CAABE905-ADFA-4200-8A8C-B03803BFB22E.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

Thank you RachelG and others for following our posts.  

Wes and Ida are certainly more prolific photo and blog posters than Barbara and I, and I really enjoy his take on excursions and life aboard the ship.  Saw him working feverishly at 4 in the morning posting all about these things.  Most times I am just rolling over at that time, but you can get a lot more done at that early hour as most folks are not on the internet.  We were really tired after our excursion yesterday, so rolled out of bed at 7.  Felt really good to sleep in.  

Now ready for a full day aboard ship; talks, games, food, entertainment, conversation.  It is a wonderful life, and we are glad we are living it.  So fortunate.

• Like 1