Advice for day trip from Bremen to Bremerhaven

comcox

We will be docked at pier 2 in Bremen and I would like to get to Bremerhaven to visit the Emigration Museum there. Can one walk out from Pier 2 or is it one of those commercial piers where you have to take a shuttle? How easy is it to find a taxi at Pier 2 (which is next to the big shopping center with Primark) to get to the main train station in Bremen early in the morning? We will docked overnight so I can head out early. Which would be the best stations to use at each end of the journey? Thanks for any advice.

• 2 weeks later...
We docked there in June this year.

Yes, you can walk out, only a short distance to the gate, and only the usual security gate check of your cruise card on the return.

Sorry, cannot comment on taxis as we left on foot heading for the tram into Bremen centre and didn't look to see if there were any dockside or outside the gate. I do know that if there are none at the dock you are unlikely to find one early morning at the shopping centre car parks as they were deserted when we left around 0900 as it doesn't open until around 1000 am.

We took tram #3 from stop Use Akschen to Domsheide, the centre of town, but for train stations it would probably be different or involve a change to a different line. That I do not know. The tram stop is a brisk 10-15 minute walk from the gangway. The ticket machine on the platform did not work that day, but there were machines inside the tram and locals can help you buy tickets. Each station is shown on a moving screen inside the tram, although returning, the tram practically emptied as it is the same Use Akschen stop for the shopping centre. You will also see the monster building next to the dock from some distance away, on the left as you head towards the dock and shopping centre.

Another option is that your ship may offer shuttle buses although they may not start early enough in the day for you. You would need to check.

You could maybe research your Bremen to Bremerhaven options using a site such as RometoRio which we find initially helpful as it usually gives options by various means of travel and approx travel time. It should point you in the direction of the train companies which run that route and you can then plan using their websites.  I would also check with Tourist Info offices in either town as they could probably advise better then I can, and could also tell you the approximate journey time and route from Use Akschen to whichever stop you need for the train. BSAG is the local public transport provider. You could also contact local taxi companies for an estimate of the cost of a taxi from port to train station.

Hope some of this is useful even if it doesn't fully answer your questions.