Alaska Cruisers, help please

CruzerDeb

I will probably book a cruise today for next June. Which is better for scenic cruising, Tracy Arm Fjord or Glacier Bay? That's the only itinerary difference and going to Glacier Bay costs an add'l $500 per person. Thoughts?

That’s a tough one. The Fjords give you the advantage of being able to take the small boat excursion that takes you right up to the glacier, and also allows you to see wildlife on the shoreline up close and personal. We saw bears, mountain goats, eagles, seals and even had a whale come right up next to the boat. It was a fantastic day, but the small boat excursion will run you almost $500 for two people, if I recall correctly.

If you are looking for just picturesque scenery from the ship, that is absolutely gorgeous Glacier Bay the better of the two for that. You will see many more glaciers. The only difference is you won’t get as close to a glacier or to wildlife. So I guess it depends on what you want to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The cruise we just took was originally scheduled for Tracy Arm Fjord but was then changed to Glacier Bay. At first, I was pretty bummed since I wanted to get closer to the glaciers. But without a doubt, Glacier Bay was ten times better!! For one, we got to save a ton of money as the excursion in Tracy Arm Fjord is $400+ per person and Glacier Bay is free. If you really want to get close to a glacier or even walk or hike on one, then Juneau is the place to do it at for the same price point or less that what it costs at Tracy Arm Fjord. Go with Glacier Bay, you will not regret it!!

For one, we got to save a ton of money as the excursion in Tracy Arm Fjord is $400+ per person and Glacier Bay is free.

Just to be clear, it’s $190 per person, not $400. Have you actually done it though? Because if you haven’t, you can’t really have an opinion on it. I’ve done it and it’s worth every single penny of the cost.

BTW.... some cruise lines allow you to do BOTH on one trip.

Correct. We were lucky to be able to do both on the same Carnival cruise. I would highly recommend finding a cruise that does both, even if not on Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What two itineraries are you comparing? I did both on my recent HAL cruise.

If the Tracy Arm part is on the ship, June is really early and you may not get close to Sawyer Glacier. They will take you up Endicott Arm. It is a narrow passage with water falls and big ice bergs in the water. Beautiful. As previously mentioned, some ships offer an excursion in a smaller vessel that will travel up the fjord. Our excursion was $239 per person. We then met our ship in Juneau.

Glacier Bay is different. You pass a couple other glaciers going into the bay. The ship sits in the bay and rotates in a circle, so all sides can see.

I would suggest Glacier Bay unless you are able to do both.