First time cruiser needing suggestions RE: Alaska cruise....

shelldogok

What an amazing forum! So glad I found this but it's making me even more overwhelmed.

None of us have ever cruised.

We're looking at an Alaskan cruise with people aged 17-75. We'd need four rooms....one with my husband and I, one with my three kids (ages 22, 20, 17), one with my brother and family (mom, dad, 18-year old nephew) and one for my dad (age 75).

My dad isn't in the best of health because he smoked since he was 12. He can't walk long distances without having to rest and breathe heavy. He does have a scooter that he uses on occasion although he hates to use it. Would he be able to do any shore excursions? How about getting around on a ship? Would a smaller ship be better?

We're probably fly out of Seattle. We're looking at 7-day cruise.

Any advice and tips would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Shelley

I believe that some cruises require that at least one person in the room be older than 25. So what you are going to have to do w your family is to book one room for your husband and some the kids and another room for you and the rest of the kids. Once you are on board, you can then switch rooms.

DON

What an amazing forum! So glad I found this but it's making me even more overwhelmed.

We're looking at an Alaskan cruise with people aged 17-75. We'd need four rooms....one with my husband and I, one with my three kids (ages 22, 20, 17), one with my brother and family (mom, dad, 18-year old nephew) and one for my dad (age 75).

My dad isn't in the best of health because he smoked since he was 12. He can't walk long distances without having to rest and breathe heavy. He does have a scooter that he uses on occasion although he hates to use it. Would he be able to do any shore excursions? How about getting around on a ship? Would a smaller ship be better?

Thanks in advance!!

Shelley

Most of the ships that cruise in Alaska are mid-size other than a couple of new ships that just started cruising Alaska. Holland America probably has the smallest average size ships in Alaska of the major cruise lines. We have seen lots of scooters on ships, so there shouldn’t be any issues there. I would check with the cruise line or excursion operator about accessibility. As long as he can walk short distances and climb / descend a few steps, most excursions should be doable.

As far as choosing a specific cruise, my recommendation is to start by researching the main Alaska Ports and find things that interest those in your group. Then find an itinerary that spends the most time in those ports. Itinerary is usually more important than the specific cruise line or ship. Don’t be afraid to use independent excursions, but ship excursions can be fine as well.

One-way sailings generally provide more ports and / or time in port than round trip sailings. Sailings that begin / end in Vancouver rather than Seattle usually sail on the inside of Vancouver Island, giving a more scenic and potentially smoother sailing the first / last day of the cruise.

As far as rooms, there is usually a significant price difference between an Inside and a balcony cabin. One option is to get one or two balcony rooms and then inside cabins nearby. This will allow everyone to access the balcony at times and save quite a bit on the overall cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

Thanks in advance!!

Shelley

Nice group! And welcome to Cruise Critic.

Due to US law, only round trip sailings are available from Seattle. There are a couple of exceptions, but they are few and only at the beginning and end of season.

Seattle sailings include one day, each way, out of sight of land in the open ocean.

Many feel that Glacier Bay is a must for a trip like yours. HAL, Princess, Carnival and Norwejan have itineraries that include this. Celebrity and Royal Caribbean do not.

Otherwise the ports for an Alaskan Itinerary are pretty standard...Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau, occasionally Sitka, and Victoria. Port times vary. You need to research the excursion possibilities.

Round trips are also available out of Vancouver, but they include an extra day (still a 7 day itinerary), each way, of the Inside Passage...far more scenic. Otherwise the ports are the same, (no Victoria).

The other form of Alaska sailings are 'one-way'...north or southbound...from or to Vancouver (never Seattle) and do not seem to fit the description you give.

Welcome to CC!

Don't worry about the kids in one room. This is allowed on most lines if parents are near by.

Your father - yes, there are excursions that he can do. Whale watching with certain companies (Juneau) and White Pass train (Skagway) are 2 that I can quickly think of.

I strongly recommend working with a cruise travel agent. They can help pick the best ship for you.

I would arrange for a scooter for the ship.

Smaller ships would definitely be easier but are usually more $$$$.

There have been some great suggestions, but I just want to add that most, if not all, cruise lines have family staterooms. For example Celebrity has what they call family veranda rooms which are designed for five individuals. Often these special staterooms are not depicted on the cruise line website, but a travel agent who specializes in cruises can show you a floor plan.

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats! We have cruised Alaska 4 times and LOVE it! The first time was out of Vancouver, BC and I think we prefer that. (it was a 7 night round trip). The other 3 times were out of Seattle which is sooooooo easy for us.

Our first regret: the first time was in an Oceanview room with two teenage daughters. Yes, doable; however we have learned that we really enjoy and use a balcony, especially for Alaska. One tie, we had a balcony and our daughters were across the hall in an inside; they were able to enjoy our balcony and we saved some money.

There are many older passengers onboard using walkers, scooters.

We prefer Princess and they do a great job in Alaska with nature commenters onboard, etc.

You may be able to find some suites and connecting rooms. Please remember, the quarters are tight but you really do not spend the time in your room. You will be out and about on the ship and touring.

We have seen Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay, and Seward Glacier. Hubbard Glacier was our favorite but the Captain (Crown Princess) was very brave and skilled so we were able to make it to the end of the Tracy Arm and see Seward Glacier. Tracy Arm is beautiful!