Cruising Buenos Aires to San Antonio, Chile

For those of you who have done this cruise. Did you need warmer clothes while cruising Chilean Fjords? Is a winter jacket needed? We'll be on the Explorer next February for the Buenos Aires to San Antonio, Chile cruise. I'm beginning to think about what clothes to pack. I know it'll be warmer in Argentina and other parts of Chile. Any insights will be appreciated. Thank you.

We did 72 day Circle South America cruises in 2012 & 2017 and was in Fjords same time on both that you will be there in mid February. Temperature was 45 to 55 during day but also very windy especially in Ushuaia. Was looking back at my blog photos and most were wearing mid weight coats. Be sure to also take gloves. I remember in 2012 we froze our butts off on a penguin excursion in Punta Arenas. Highly recommend the "Otway Sound & Penguin Reserve" excursion if offered. It was in 2012 but not in 2017. We will be joining the Explorer in Santiago, Feb 17th.

You can have a few cool days, but not so much as needing a winter coat. Layer with a long sleeve T, a light pull over sweater and a lined windbreaker. Take a pair of light gloves and light watch-cap for the fjords as is can be cool while on deck, if you are so inclined. Or just site in the O lounge and watch the world go by.

I hope that your cruise makes it out the Falkland Islands as several times in the past few years the weather has not been good. I was lucky to get there on the Maiden Circle South America Mariner voyage in 2002-3. My last time in 2015 we couldn't get there do to high winds. Also, does your itinerary make the actual trip out to Cape Horn? We did the first time, but the last time stayed in the "Inside Passage" and never went down to "round the cape."

J

We are on this cruise for the second time Feb 1st. It can be windy and quite chilly. Take the winter coat.

Absolutely agree, I have done three Antarctica cruises going through the Fjords and at least pack a puffer jacket. If you are going through the Cape it can be the Drake Lake or the Drake Shake. Weather changes rapidity at El Fin Del Mundo (the end of the world) Absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you all for your answers. You have confirmed my thoughts. We'll bring puffer jackets because they are warm and light to pack. Wearing layers is always the best idea. I remember how cold it was when we cruised Alaska in August. I do hope we make it to Falkland Island. I booked penguin watching tour there. Thank you. We'll keep the Explorer nice and tidy for those of you embarking in San Antonio.:)

Just a few additional suggestions.

Bring a waterproof jacket with hood to layer on top and waterproof pants.

The idea for gloves is great and also a wool hat.

It's not just the temperature. It is the wind chill.

We have done this type of cruise numerous times and just like our own weather back home it can change and even on the same day.

For example in Ushuaia it could be sunny with little wind, or cloudy and windy or even rainy or light snow.

I would recommend waterproof shoes or low cut hiking boots. It can just help in some of these places.

Have a great time.

This is such a beautiful area of the world.

Keith