All the threads letters are very small and light

rcandkc

5 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

So - Could someone please remind me....why did CC see the need to "change" anything in the first place?  What was particularly "wrong" with the "old CC board"?  Were their unemployed web developers sitting around looking for something to do?  Or did CC have a dump truck full of money that they had to spend somewhere on something?  This is a general comment/annoyance I have about a lot of things today.  Why must things be constantly "changed" when there is no apparent deficiency that needs "solving", in the first place?  And the changes often don't seem as good as the "original".

Like all the constant app updates.  "Enhancements?"  Really?  If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!

• Like 2

My issue is that this is NOT a mobile-friendly website and is instead rather cludgy on mobile.  It’s like me building my WordPress website and simplifying it/making it narrow so that it appears like it might look decent in an mobile device browser.  I don’t know how it is on desktop because I hardly pull out the laptop.

There’s a reason why Bank of America has an app, Facebook has an app, Gmail has an app, etc thus the phrase, “There’s an app for that.” 

I'm quite happy with the upgrades on CC.  It is normal for companies to change their website rather frequently since they need to keep up with technology (so do we - even if we don't want to sometimes).  

Not sure if Tapatalk was the CC app - but even if it was, I like the new and improved way of posting photos (even though it is a shame that the thousands of photos posted through Tapatalk have been lost).  

If I recall correctly, CC's last upgrade was to make it easier on mobile devices.  While it is still easier to access CC on a computer, laptop or tablet, it is still fine on my iPhone (and I don't have the latest version).

14 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I'm quite happy with the upgrades on CC.  It is normal for companies to change their website rather frequently since they need to keep up with technology (so do we - even if we don't want to sometimes).  

Not sure if Tapatalk was the CC app - but even if it was, I like the new and improved way of posting photos (even though it is a shame that the thousands of photos posted through Tapatalk have been lost).  

If I recall correctly, CC's last upgrade was to make it easier on mobile devices.  While it is still easier to access CC on a computer, laptop or tablet, it is still fine on my iPhone (and I don't have the latest version).

Tapatalk and the CC app were 2 separate apps, both worked similarly, both now defunct for posting on CC,

Happy to say that photos are previously posted with apps are now back!

I agree with you that posting from a desktop/ laptop is now easier, many people are quite upset about not being able to use apps on their devices. I am slowly learning the new way of posting from my phone, and I frankly think that in a number of  ways it is better than using the apps, and in a few ways not as good.  

Bob

46 minutes ago, LadyandtheTramp said:

Unfortunately, I can find neither a star nor a dot. 

The blue dot or star only appear next to thread titles when there are unread messages in that thread.  A link to the first unread message in a thread with no unread messages makes no sense. The old board worked similarly. 

Hope this helps. 

Dave

Please fix the Font size Cruise Critic! I have reset my iPad Font so large that my emails are ridiculous ,  but I still can’t read the Forum posts which remain very tiny and faint. What have you done with a perfectly good Forum?  Very very annoying.  Got a headache trying to follow post threads. :classic_angry::classic_angry::classic_angry: 

17 hours ago, boblerm said:

Tapatalk and the CC app were 2 separate apps, both worked similarly, both now defunct for posting on CC,

Happy to say that photos are previously posted with apps are now back!

I agree with you that posting from a desktop/ laptop is now easier, many people are quite upset about not being able to use apps on their devices. I am slowly learning the new way of posting from my phone, and I frankly think that in a number of  ways it is better than using the apps, and in a few ways not as good.  

Bob

Bob, have you discovered a way for the posts on the phone to appear in a stream as on the app? I really miss that the most. 

Desktops are going the way of the dinosaur. 

2 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Bob, have you discovered a way for the posts on the phone to appear in a stream as on the app? I really miss that the most. 

Desktops are going the way of the dinosaur. 

Hmmmmm...

I am looking at the site on my phone, and it seems to me that it appears pretty much the same as I remember it appearing when using Tapatalkl or the CC app.

Sadly, I cannot "re-create" the app experience to compare it to how it looks on my phone now, as the apps are unusable.:classic_sad:

I am planning to start a new thread detailing what I have learned so far in using the new mobile site, and hopefully people can add to it and help make this transition easier for all of us.

Sorry I could not be more helpful as to your specific question.

Bob

I miss being able to quickly jump to the first unread message in a thread.  The "unread content" button at the top takes me to everything I've not read on the whole CC site....quite a lot!  I'd love a quick way to scoot down to the latest posting in a thread of my choosing - as there was previously.

ETA I just explored creating an "activity stream" where I seem to be able to choose what content I follow and what I leave for everyone else to read.  All might not be lost...and indeed, some things could be a great deal easier!

Edited by Gilly
New information!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gilly said:

I miss being able to quickly jump to the first unread message in a thread.  The "unread content" button at the top takes me to everything I've not read on the whole CC site....quite a lot!  I'd love a quick way to scoot down to the latest posting in a thread of my choosing - as there was previously.

ETA I just explored creating an "activity stream" where I seem to be able to choose what content I follow and what I leave for everyone else to read.  All might not be lost...and indeed, some things could be a great deal easier!

Press directly on dot or star on thread title. It will take you to first unread message. This has worked for me this morning.

• Like 1

I wonder if CC feels they "got their money's worth" with this new design, given the fact that many of us were totally "used to", and quite happy with "what we had before"??  They've forced us all to now "learn" and "get used to" something "different" (and not necessarily "improved").

If you leave these designs and changes up to "web designers" (the majority of whom, are half the age of those of us who most frequently visit the Regent Board), they're "going-in bias" is to always think that something "different" or "new" is always better than what went before. That's oftentimes is not the case.

On the "old" board, where there were multiple pages for a particular thread, you could "fast forward" or "fast back" to a particular page you wanted to go to.  Now you can't (at least I haven't found it).  And if that "option" still exists, you have to hunt for it and see if it's "somewhere else".  How is that an "improvement"? 

If I want to edit my typing while I'm writing a comment, an "enter your text" message appears right over the place where I've put my cursor, blocking my view of the text, so I have to move the cursor a couple of times in order to make sure it's where I want it to be. Is that supposed to be an "improvement"!  Not. I would gladly "opt out" of this new design, but I guess that's not a choice.  Regards

4 hours ago, briar14 said:

Press directly on dot or star on thread title. It will take you to first unread message. This has worked for me this morning.

Just read your post on the other thread - it is so useful!

The one thing I've learned in the last 10 years is that things will continue to change and we need to be open to it and accept it.  While off topic, my DH told me last night that some new phones will be the size of a credit card.  While this makes no sense to me and I'm happy with my slightly outdated iPhone, there is always a reason why companies make upgrades and changes.  Had it not been for changes, we would not have tablets, laptops or even the desktop computers as they exist today.

There seems to be people complaining all over the CC boards.  IMHO, complaining isn't going to get us anywhere (although reporting real problems on the Glitches board is helpful).  Instead, let's follow Bob's lead and help each other learn how to navigate the new website.  

P.S.  The font is now back to normal so that is one issue that is resolved!

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, briar14 said:

It took me a while to understand that the dot (or star) is on the thread listing page (where you land when you click on Regent Seven Seas Cruises), and not on the initial page of the thread of interest, where it was in the former version..  But many thanks to Briar14 for providing the initial information.

• Like 2