Amazon packing advice

Just in case some of you are not on Facebook in the RSSC Social Club group, I'm starting a duplicate thread here on Cruise Critic.

On Nov. 25th the Navigator will once again head to the Amazon (24 days this year), and those of us that will be on board would like to hear from members who have cruised in the Amazon about what you would definitely bring with you and what you could have left at home.

So far, past cruisers have mentioned not seeing many (if any) mosquitoes, needing cotton (or cotton blend) long sleeve shirts and pants, needing to get your laundry done before entering the Amazon (due to water limitations), cooling packs and devices for those particularly sensitive to the heat and humidity, dollars or trinkets for the children (some disagreement on whether money is the best idea).

Please feel free to add other thoughts as they come to you.  Our Roll Call is really appreciating all of your advice!

Martha

On 10/16/2018 at 8:44 AM, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Just in case some of you are not on Facebook in the RSSC Social Club group, I'm starting a duplicate thread here on Cruise Critic.

On Nov. 25th the Navigator will once again head to the Amazon (24 days this year), and those of us that will be on board would like to hear from members who have cruised in the Amazon about what you would definitely bring with you and what you could have left at home.

So far, past cruisers have mentioned not seeing many (if any) mosquitoes, needing cotton (or cotton blend) long sleeve shirts and pants, needing to get your laundry done before entering the Amazon (due to water limitations), cooling packs and devices for those particularly sensitive to the heat and humidity, dollars or trinkets for the children (some disagreement on whether money is the best idea).

Please feel free to add other thoughts as they come to you.  Our Roll Call is really appreciating all of your advice!

Martha

Hi Martha.  We were on the Mariner last year for the Amazon cruise, and I can share our experience and recommendations. 

Bugs - I'd would certainly bring insect repellent to apply.  On our particular cruise, we did not have a significant problem with bugs and mosquitoes, but it is better to be prepared because the situation might be different this year. 

Clothing - It's going to be hot, no way around that!  However, for the days when you might be doing treks in the jungle, you will want to have lighter-weight long sleeve tops and pants, as well as a hat to protect your head from the sun.  

Transit up the Amazon and laundry - You are correct.  Once you embark up the river, the ship will rely on its existing on-board water supply until you reach Manaus, where the ship will take on more water.  Once back in the Atlantic, they'll resume intake of sea water for processing.  They will ask you to be vigilant of your water consumption, but we really didn't experience any restrictions.  If you must send some things to the laundry, they will do it for you.  Just try to time it so that you have your major laundry done before or after the river transit.

Personal cooling devices - Personally, I would not bother with lugging these types of things down there.  As I said, it will indeed be hot and humid, but seeing you are from Arizona, you'll probably be better prepared for the heat at least.  I think I recall only seeing one passenger on a tender once with some sort of apparatus, but it didn't appear to be providing much relief.  Just bring appropriate clothing, stay hydrated and leave the cooling gadgets at home.

Cash/trinkets for kids - The stop at Boca Da Valaria is probably the main place where you'll have to make a decision as to what you'll do.  Be forewarned... this stop is really just for tourist purposes.  Locals don't actually live in the little village where you will tender ashore.  It's simply a place for locals from the surrounding area to come and sell things to the cruise ship passengers.  The kids will beg, but we didn't find them to be overly aggressive once you've passed the groups which will meet you right at the tender pier.  We took a private boat up one of the tributaries and were able to see some more authentic living conditions.  We disembarked our little boat at a true village and visited a school.  As we were leaving, we did give out dollar bills, but it quickly became a free-for-all, and we regretted even starting it.  I'll just say it is your personal decision as to whether give out anything.  If we were to do it again, I'd probably just give out small pieces of candy or gum.

Happy to answer any other questions.  You are in store for a very unique experience.  We thought Regent did a great job, and the onboard lecturer (Terry Breen) was among the best we've had in our 25+ years of cruising.  

Thanks for the helpful info.  I do have a question about buying local souvenirs.  Where did you get you Brazilian money?  We are not going through an international airport on our way to the ship.  Is there by chance an ATM or exchange desk at our first port in Brazil?

Not quite related to the specific question of what to bring or not bring, but for those that enjoy taking photos, be prepared for how the heat and humidity will affect your equipment.  If you leave your cameras in an air conditioned space, you may not be able to capture that early morning sunrise until the condensation clears your lens.