Change in Traditional Dining Times?

canadarocks

I also sent an email to Jan Schwartz a few days ago and this afternnon one of her staff called me.

They have not gotten a lot of response to this yet as they didnt bother to announce these changes so other than those of us on CC who knows about it.

she claimed that many passengers complained about the "late dining times of 5 30 and 8"? I told her that after about a dozen cruises on Princess never heard anyone complain.

The responses they got made them move 4 45 back to 5. The lady I spoke to admitted the response so far has been rather negative. 

have always requested 6:00 but always received a 5:30  or 5:15 never sure why.... it always said on cruise personalizer 6:00...changed my next 4 cruise to 7:15...hope it is the real time when I board as thanks to this post saw all were changed to 5:00

On 10/17/2018 at 10:05 AM, Diver2014 said:

I went back into our Princess reservations for the Crown Princess next month in the Caribbean and again next May in the British Isles and found I could change my dining preferences.  I changed next month to 5:15pm waitlisted #20 (it was originally 5:30 but then Princess changed it to 4:45). Now the waitlist shows #8.  We're early eaters but c'mon 4:45?  Then I was able to change next May's British Isles cruise back to the original 5:30p.  We decided if they change us to 4:45 or anytime after 5:30, we'll just eat in the Horizon Court for dinner (but I'll miss my crème brulee!).  I really think Princess is trying to phase out traditional dining.

This is interesting.  We are on the Crown in November but have anytime (due to traveling with family that like that) but for our British Isles cruise on the Crown next August we were at traditional dining of 6 pm (the choices when we booked were 5:30 pm, 6 pm or 8:15 pm).   When I first saw this thread, I checked our reservation and we were moved to 5:30 (no notice given) and the other choices were 5 pm, 5:30, and a late time of 7:45.   I was ok with 5:30 but not happy.  Today I checked again and we are now 5 pm, and the other choices are 5 pm, and 7:15.  I'm tempted to move to 7:15 but then if they move the times again we won't to do the original 8:15.   

• Like 1

Cruise Critic won't let you post a URL, but if you search Princess Cruises Dining Times Traditional on your browser you'll find there's quite a brouhaha about this (unannounced) change... I have contacted Princess twice inquiring about the changes... Both times I received an automated response telling me I would get a personal response soon... I am still waiting!!! I'll be back on the Grand and will give it a try, but I'm not a happy camper... Had late dining a couple of cruises ago and checked out anytime dining... Saw the line and decided that was not for me... Happy Cruising... Thom. 

54 minutes ago, Mediaspot said:

Cruise Critic won't let you post a URL, but if you search Princess Cruises Dining Times Traditional on your browser you'll find there's quite a brouhaha about this (unannounced) change... I have contacted Princess twice inquiring about the changes... Both times I received an automated response telling me I would get a personal response soon... I am still waiting!!! I'll be back on the Grand and will give it a try, but I'm not a happy camper... Had late dining a couple of cruises ago and checked out anytime dining... Saw the line and decided that was not for me... Happy Cruising... Thom. 

The only things my browser brought up as far as "brouhaha" was here on CC...

On 11/3/2018 at 5:30 AM, antsp said:

Just boarded the Crown today Nov 3rd. Dining times are 5.30 and 8.00.this isn't what the cruise persoliser

changing the times in personalizer for everyone pretty easy and quick. actually adjusting ship operations to shift time new time not quite as easy. may take a month or two to get fully implemented.

Edited by RDC1

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:27 PM, Mummo said:

OOPS...wrong roll call for this post.  😵. maybe too much cruising? 🤯 Nah. 🤭 

I just tried those search words... … and got results from cruiseradio, ilovecruising,, cruisemapper and several others... (Don't know why above quote was inclused) (New site is not user ready!)

1 hour ago, Mediaspot said:

I can’t read this script font.  

On 10/31/2018 at 8:36 AM, chamima said:

Although this is now our standard, each ship will retain the flexibility to adjust dining times as needed based on their destination, passenger demographics and seasonal guest demand.

To me, this is the real problem.  If you're going to advertise standard dining times for all the ships you should stick to those times.  As it stands now, for my next cruise - on Pacific so no ATD to let me work around it, my choices are 5pm or 7:15pm.  Historically the ship has been more like 5:30 and 8pm (and often has advertised something like 6pm and 8:15 or 8:30pm).  So how am I supposed to pick the dining time I actually want?  6 would be my preference, but it's almost never that anyways.  5:30 has been ok, but 5pm is too early.  7:15 wouldn't be all that unreasonable for me, but I definitely don't want something along the lines of 7:45 or 8pm.  So what the hell am I supposed to choose?  Princess shouldn't be putting their passengers in this position of uncertainty.

• Like 3

I agree 100%... The last time I talked w/Princess re: my cruise on 12/13/18 I told the rep that on three of the four port days I would probably eat dinner on shore rather than rush back for new Early Dining time... I like having the same wait staff and, if there's a good group, sitting with the same people... Early Dining at 6PM suits me to a Tee... Five PM is a little early, but OK for sea days... Thom. PS: When I asked about the change in dining times, w/out notifying the booked passengers, she said, "That's the Million Dollar Question!"... I then asked her, "Fine, what's the Million Dollar Answer?"  She did not have that information. THM

The phone reps have no actual idea what time dining will be on the ships.

The peronalizer was usually not correct in the past. There is no reason to believe it is correct now.

Until someone posts that late seating was actually at 7:15 on a ship, I would not believe there has actually been any change. So far the posts from those on board several different ships have said the late seating is at 7:45.

12 hours ago, RDC1 said:

changing the times in personalizer for everyone pretty easy and quick. actually adjusting ship operations to shift time new time not quite as easy. may take a month or two to get fully implemented.

People boarding ships recently have posted that their personalizer had changed to show the earlier dining times (5 PM and 7:15 PM), but once onboard the times were not changed. For example, the late seating was at 7:45 PM.

If the ship has not changed dining times, why make the change to the sailing's personalizer information.

I just checked my cruise planner for our next cruise, on the Ruby, and it's showing traditional dining times of 5:00 and 7:15.  

We always choose anytime for the flexibility of being able to adjust dining times and tables to fit our needs.  Had too many bad experiences being seated next to loud and obnoxious groups at large tables who suck up the wait staff's time and attention while we sit there like the red-headed step-children.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me. 

You have to find what works for you.

9 hours ago, caribill said:

People boarding ships recently have posted that their personalizer had changed to show the earlier dining times (5 PM and 7:15 PM), but once onboard the times were not changed. For example, the late seating was at 7:45 PM.

If the ship has not changed dining times, why make the change to the sailing's personalizer information.

in another stream the last person to post times (antsp), stated that the maitre d said that the times would change when the ship returned to Fort Lauderdale. 

Just returned from the Star.  Our dining time had changed on our Personalizer from 5:45 to 4:45 just two days before we sailed, so obviously no opportunity to change pre-sail. However, once we boarded the actual time was 5:15 p.m. so we were happy with that.  We asked everyone from Princess and most feigned ignorance of the change, however one person said it was by "popular demand" mostly because more people want earlier dining and show times. While I understand the reasoning, I am fairly sure 4:45 p.m. is no one's preferred time. My guess is that 5:15 will be the early traditional time on most ships.  It worked well, since the early show times were 7:45 p.m. and for some repeat shows in the Vista Lounge - 7:00 p.m.

20 minutes ago, Fortressgirl said:

Just returned from the Star.  Our dining time had changed on our Personalizer from 5:45 to 4:45 just two days before we sailed, so obviously no opportunity to change pre-sail. However, once we boarded the actual time was 5:15 p.m. so we were happy with that.  We asked everyone from Princess and most feigned ignorance of the change, however one person said it was by "popular demand" mostly because more people want earlier dining and show times. While I understand the reasoning, I am fairly sure 4:45 p.m. is no one's preferred time. My guess is that 5:15 will be the early traditional time on most ships.  It worked well, since the early show times were 7:45 p.m. and for some repeat shows in the Vista Lounge - 7:00 p.m.

They are early in the transition period.  Takes time to completely shift ship dining operations.  From your post they have shifted about have way.

I expect that we will not see final times until 2-3 months after the initial announcement.  We should know the final results about January.  I will be on the Grand in 9 days, the Sapphire in Feb and the Emerald in May.  I expect some movement of times on the Grand, but not necessarily a complete shift, but should be fully in place by my later two cruises.

This was posted from the Star which sailed on 11/4:

The much talked about dining times on the Star Princess are 1700 and 1915 for traditional in the Amalfi dining room.  ATD in the Capri dining room is between 1700-2100.  ATD in the Portofino dining room is between 1900-2100.  It looks like there is also an early traditional seating at 1700

36 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

This was posted from the Star which sailed on 11/4:

The much talked about dining times on the Star Princess are 1700 and 1915 for traditional in the Amalfi dining room.  ATD in the Capri dining room is between 1700-2100.  ATD in the Portofino dining room is between 1900-2100.  It looks like there is also an early traditional seating at 1700

So it looks like the Star has fully made the change.  Might be a faster implementation than I thought.  Will know about the Grand in 9 days.  I did receive an email giving the new dining times for that cruise, so maybe they will be fully changed as well.