Dentist on ship

FLsealegs

There are no dentists on the ships. If you have need for a dentist the ship has list of them that are available in each port. Those are the ones that they  send the crew to visit when they need dental services.

49 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

When I broke a tooth on a pebble in my salad in the dining room, NCL arranged for me to see a dentist in port. They paid the transportation to and from the office and paid the dentist.

Ouch!

When I broke a tooth on RCI, they arranged an appointment for me the next day.  Luckily we were in Key West, so dental insurance worked.  I do have travel medical insurance that would have picked it up if we'd been outside the US.  He just patched it up  and it was fine until I was able to see my regular dentist.

There was a thread a while back posted by a man who was angry because he was unable to obtain what he called simple first aid from the passenger services desk.  This prompted a whole string of posts about the essentials that people bring with them when they cruise.  Thanks to that thread, I now have a mega first aid kit, one that may require its own luggage tag, (kidding) and included, is a tooth repair kit.  I picked one up after someone commented that they broke a tooth.  The $8 kit is supposed to hold everything you need for tooth emergencies.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

No dentists or opticians, or podiatrists....no "specialty" doctors.  The "onboard" doctor is well-versed in basic emergency medicine, including colds, runny noses,, etc.....If you have something "out of the ordinary", they will try to find you a doctor ashore....bring your money, because it's not like the United States....they want CASH!

6 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

There was a thread a while back posted by a man who was angry because he was unable to obtain what he called simple first aid from the passenger services desk.  This prompted a whole string of posts about the essentials that people bring with them when they cruise.  Thanks to that thread, I now have a mega first aid kit, one that may require its own luggage tag, (kidding) and included, is a tooth repair kit.  I picked one up after someone commented that they broke a tooth.  The $8 kit is supposed to hold everything you need for tooth emergencies.

link to this emergency tooth repair kit?

9 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

link to this emergency tooth repair kit?

https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-toothache-relief-and-repair-kit-prodid-975211?skuid=975211

Sorry, didn't include it before bc I picked this up at a location in my area and didn't want to suggest something that may not be available to all areas/regions.  But at least you can get an idea of what's included.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HAL used to have a program called Sea Dentist or something similar. On longer sailings they would offer dentists a "free" inside cabin, as I recall. However, the dentist did have to pay some type of fee for materials used or something like that. I considered that briefly, then realized that I'd probably be called in for an emergency after enjoying a couple of cocktails !

Tom

PS -- decided to search that for verification. HERE'S something which references it (now defunct program).

So, last October, we were on a cruise from New York with 10 other family members.  A few days before we left, my husband had a toothache.  I called and made a dentist appointment.  The toothache went away and he "didnt feel like" driving into the city, so he cancelled the appointment.  I yelled at him and he blew me off.  Fast forward to second day on ship.  He is in massive pain, one whole side of his face is swollen, and his cheek looks like a chipmunk.  He takes aspirin and ignores it.  24 hrs later, he has a fever, the pain is intolerable, and off to the ship doc. we go.  Massive infection requiring overnight stay in ship hospital, IV for antibiotics and steroids,  painkillers and more than $3400 total out of pocket for treatment.  Thank god I had travel insurance that covered every nickel.  It sure ruined his cruise.  If I hadnt been so angry with him for cancelling the appt before we left,  I probably would have stayed in room and hung out with him, but we were in a Haven suite, and I had family to hang out with,  so I just made sure the butler brought him soup and soft foods to eat and plenty of fluids, and left him to wallow in misery.  I know I sound like a horrible wife, but once I knew he was out of danger, I figured he brought it on himself.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, tel2 said:

So, last October, we were on a cruise from New York with 10 other family members.  A few days before we left, my husband had a toothache.  I called and made a dentist appointment.  The toothache went away and he "didnt feel like" driving into the city, so he cancelled the appointment.  I yelled at him and he blew me off.  Fast forward to second day on ship.  He is in massive pain, one whole side of his face is swollen, and his cheek looks like a chipmunk.  He takes aspirin and ignores it.  24 hrs later, he has a fever, the pain is intolerable, and off to the ship doc. we go.  Massive infection requiring overnight stay in ship hospital, IV for antibiotics and steroids,  painkillers and more than $3400 total out of pocket for treatment.  Thank god I had travel insurance that covered every nickel.  It sure ruined his cruise.  If I hadnt been so angry with him for cancelling the appt before we left,  I probably would have stayed in room and hung out with him, but we were in a Haven suite, and I had family to hang out with,  so I just made sure the butler brought him soup and soft foods to eat and plenty of fluids, and left him to wallow in misery.  I know I sound like a horrible wife, but once I knew he was out of danger, I figured he brought it on himself.....

I occasionally will bring up the movie Castaway, and mention that (to those who choose to roll the dice) they might want to take along an ice skate... just in case  :)

Yes, a toothache can ruin everything.  I am an RDA with credentials and the last thing anyone wants is tooth pain while vacationing.  However, it does happen. :classic_ohmy:

Not to get off topic, but I question why Cruise Lines offer "Tooth Whitening" as a menu option.  Do they mention that after the treatment is done, you cannot eat or drink anything with color?  Example:  Red Wine, Red Sauce, etc. for at least 24 hours? Ummm...my dinner menu is now limited!  LOL!  This always piqued my interest and why anyone would even partake in that.  Get your teeth whitened on land for half the price and enjoy your cruise eating/drinking whatever you want!!  Makes me laugh.  JMO