Checking in and boarding

KansasK

We are sailing on the Island Princess on December 30. My brother is on this cruise also and said the Travel documents say that 12:30 is the earliest you can board and that we have to board by deck. Our time is 1:30 and his is 2:00. 

Is this strictly enforced? We both fly in the day before and have to check out of our hotel by 11:00. On RCI and Carnival, we just went to the pier and checked in about 11:30 or so and sometimes waited to board or often boarded then. He talked to customer service and they said they may let him board, or he ends up in the Penalty Box. What is the Penalty Box? Another customer service representative told my brother that he personally arrived an hour early and had to stand in the sun for an hour before his time to board arrived.

Are the boarding times really set in concrete? If so, we will ask our hotel to keep our luggage, find somewhere to have lunch and kill some time until we return to the hotel, get our luggage and go to the pier at the stated boarding time. 

Edited by KansasK
forgot a word.

The times are a suggestion & they don't make you wait to enter until your "time."  You may have a wait outside the terminal until they are ready to start check-ins, but we've usually just been able to enter, check-in and then wait for the boarding in the terminal waiting area.  We generally arrive at the pier around 1030.  I think they do the general boarding based on when you checked in & don't hold you to the deck boarding times.

Not sure what they were talking about with the "penalty box."  Have never heard that term & we've done quite a few Princess cruises out of FLL.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Over the years I've come to believe that the suggested arrival times are only for their benefit of handling the crowd. 

Although we normally drive to the port in Ft Lauderdale and arrive very early, waiting till later in the day would mean much heavier traffic with possibly more accidents to deal with. I'ed rather be waiting to board the ship longer than sitting in a line of cars waiting to get to the port. :classic_wacko:

I have never paid attention when the cruise lines try to slot people into set times. I show up to the terminal and board the ship based upon the time I want.  In general it seems once you enter the terminal the only goal the cruise line has is to clear the terminal. 

Everything depends on the ship being readied from thee previous cruise. We've experienced a two hour delay due to a missing pax. Showing up early, no crowd, and having to wait for our"group" to be called.