PANAMAL CANAL DEC 2018

HCI

We will be cruising on Norwegian Star arrives in Guatemala, looking for a private tour to Antigua, I did find guatemalanguide.com

Has anyone used this tour group, my only concern is I know it is a one and half ours one way, as I have never been there before will It be OK to use a private tour and book through the cruise line.

Also a tour to Acapulco

Many Thanks

I can't help you with private tour recommendations.  What we did a couple of years ago (on the NCL Jewel), and what you'll find reading on this board and the Panama Canal board, is that lots of folks take the "Antigua on Your Own" excursion thru the cruise ship.  This will give you RT transportation on a bus from the ship to Antigua and back.  There will be a guide on the bus who will also give you information along the way, and you'll get a map of course.  Antigua is very do-able and walkable on your own.   

Enjoy your cruise!

11 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I can't help you with private tour recommendations.  What we did a couple of years ago (on the NCL Jewel), and what you'll find reading on this board and the Panama Canal board, is that lots of folks take the "Antigua on Your Own" excursion thru the cruise ship.  This will give you RT transportation on a bus from the ship to Antigua and back.  There will be a guide on the bus who will also give you information along the way, and you'll get a map of course.  Antigua is very do-able and walkable on your own.   

Did the same Antigua on your own tour through ship. (HAL)  Tour guide gives you local information on the bus ride there and back then you are dropped at meeting point and given a time to be back to the bus.  You get to see all Antigua has to offer and gets you back to the ship without worrying about independent transportation as the road is busy, and traffic unpredictable.   Enjoy.....it is a Heritage city worth visiting.  

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely take the ship tour, Antigua on you own.  It is quite a long drive, and a comfortable, air conditioned bus with guide is the best deal.   You will love, Antigua and is very doable on your own.  The guide should have a little map. 

here is our Antigua report from our blog. http://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.com/2017/06/guatemala-and-mexican-riviera-part-3.html

• 4 weeks later...

We just did the HAL bus ride to Antigua "on your own" on 11-9-18. We never do ship tours but glad we did. It's a 90 minute drive with traffic.  Guide on bus was good. We drove through the volcanic eruption site from June 2018. Our guide was concerned about the volcano erupting again since it was smoking. We thought he was just adding drama to tour. The volcano erupted 10 days later and may still be erupting now.  If that's the case, I seriously doubt there are tours to Antigua, since the road going there is directly in the lava flow area.  

On 11/24/2018 at 10:49 AM, Bethcb said:

We just did the HAL bus ride to Antigua "on your own" on 11-9-18. We never do ship tours but glad we did. It's a 90 minute drive with traffic.  Guide on bus was good. We drove through the volcanic eruption site from June 2018. Our guide was concerned about the volcano erupting again since it was smoking. We thought he was just adding drama to tour. The volcano erupted 10 days later and may still be erupting now.  If that's the case, I seriously doubt there are tours to Antigua, since the road going there is directly in the lava flow area.  

We’ll be there next week. Have been prowling around the Internet to see the state of the volcano. No new news so I suppose that’s positive! May just sit this one out on board the ship!