Choosing a PCC

cawpaw

This may seem like a silly question. I have tried to find the answer through the search, even though I know it must be out there.  How does one go about getting a PCC from Holland America? Is it just the luck of the draw? Can you work with the same person each time? Do they have phone and email options?   Can cruise critic members recommend a certain one.  My guess is no on that one.   The reason I ask is the last few cruises (not just HAL) I worked through a travel agent. I find it kind of a pain to not be able to call my cruise line and ask certain questions about my booking, because they refer me back to the booking TA.  I do most of my homework in advance to booking, so I think a PCC may be a better option for me.  I do like that the travel agents offer some incentives but I just have not found them to be that good "after the sale".  

Thanks in advance for any tips. 

When you create an account on the Holland America site you are assigned a PCC automatically.  (You would have received an email.)  If you were not assigned a PCC, go to This Page and you can have one assigned.

I am much happier with a PCC than when I was with assorted TA’s.

We are very happy with ours and as Deliver42 said we have her extension.  She is always quick to respond if we leave a message or email her. We feel the benefits outweigh the OBC we might get ftom a TA.

I'm sure if you emailed CC members directly they would offer suggestions.

We are also very happy with our PCC. If your own PCC is not in the office, there will be one that is taking all calls. So  you can get pretty much the same stuff done with them.

I send emails if I have questions, I leave messages on his phone and he always gets back to me with answers.

If you book with a PCC, you have the option anytime before final payment (and before full payment) to transfer to any TA. We will often do that with the big hot dog store. That way you get the control you like and then the extra perks that your TA might give.

Our PCC is a gentleman who is very in tune with our needs, budget and what we want out of a cruise.  He is very accessible and helpful with suggestions.  On one occasion when we were looking to book a cruise he was on a cruise himself.  Another gentleman helped us out and he too was awesome.  I would guess that if you are looking to work with a particular PCC you could ask to be transferred.   

Another option is to call the main reservation number and talk to whoever answers the phone. I have never had a bad contact with a HAL reservation agent (I have read that some have). I tried a PCC once, and although he was very nice, he was seldom available and I am one of those who like answers right away. Call me weird but the perks from a travel agent don't mean that much to me.

My PCC saved me four persons' fares on a cancellation that came on the day before a holiday eve when I did not expect the HAL phonelines to be closed! I left messages and sent emails which time-stamped my desire to cancel the cruise, which was later approved by the manager.

Get this -- I had not even used her to make the reservation; I had done it myself online! But she had been assigned to me in the auto-response to my booking, or perhaps as someone said above, when I opened my account.

Subsequently I have always used her and she has steered me away from non-refundable deposit rates and most recently alerted me that my requested change was from large inside to small inside (I did want to make that change due to location, but she waited for confirmation from me to do it). Like SJSULIBRARIAN, a few percent in OBC is nothing compared to always available service.

I'm also on first name basis with the alternate PCC that apparently always takes her calls when she is on vacation or in training. 

Check your response e-mails from HAL after you sign up -- the PCC assigned to you would be near the top banner. 

Edited by crystalspin
clarity

23 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

When you create an account on the Holland America site you are assigned a PCC automatically.  (You would have received an email.)  If you were not assigned a PCC, go to This Page and you can have one assigned.

I am much happier with a PCC than when I was with assorted TA’s.

I have an account and didn't get one.  I requested one and didn't get one.  I submitted a request another way and didn't get one.  I book a lot of cruises but they don't seem to want to work with me.

4 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

I have an account and didn't get one.  I requested one and didn't get one.  I submitted a request another way and didn't get one.  I book a lot of cruises but they don't seem to want to work with me.

Have you asked HAL who your PCC is?

I know that sounds dumb but that is how I found out that I had one.  Just called the general number and asked.

13 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

I wonder why they don't want to work with you? Maybe there is a note in your file?

I am not sure if this applies to everyone but on the brochures that HAL issues and which come out about every two weeks  the name of the assigned PCC is listed in the address area.  I do most things on line, independent of a cruise consultant but I must have had a question at one time and phoned in for an answer.  I was not aware I was even assigned one a PCC.

3 hours ago, alwaysfrantic said:

We hear ya.  We were 4 Star Mariners, well on our way to 5 when we first heard from a PCC.  The reason was because we canceled a HAL booking (it was the first time we ever canceled a booked cruise).  A few days later we got a call from our PCC (we did not even know we had a PCC) who wanted to know why we canceled and was there anything she could do to help us change our mind or book a future cruise.  I simply told her that if she could match or beat the deals we get from our favorite cruise agencies we would be happy to work with her.  She explained that HAL would not match the deals we get from cruise agencies but she was willing to handle our bookings and them transfer them to our favorite cruise agency.  Bottom line was that she could not give us a single good reason to book direct with HAL.

We recently did book with a HAL future cruise counselor while on a cruise because they had a decent promotion.  We then transferred the booking to one of our favorite cruise agencies who immediately gave us $1050.00 in On Board Credits (not offered by HAL).   PCCs might be very nice people, but we do not think its worth over $1000 per cruise to deal with them :).

Hank

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:09 PM, cawpaw said:

This may seem like a silly question. I have tried to find the answer through the search, even though I know it must be out there.  How does one go about getting a PCC from Holland America? Is it just the luck of the draw? Can you work with the same person each time? Do they have phone and email options?   Can cruise critic members recommend a certain one.  My guess is no on that one.   The reason I ask is the last few cruises (not just HAL) I worked through a travel agent. I find it kind of a pain to not be able to call my cruise line and ask certain questions about my booking, because they refer me back to the booking TA.  I do most of my homework in advance to booking, so I think a PCC may be a better option for me.  I do like that the travel agents offer some incentives but I just have not found them to be that good "after the sale".  

Thanks in advance for any tips. 

When our long-standing TA retired, I called HA and booked a cruise through one PCC.  Later, before that sailing, I received an email from another PCC who said she had been assigned to us.  She introduced herself and explained how long she'd been with HA, how much she enjoyed traveling, and how much she was anticipating working with us.  Her contact info, i.e. email address, phone extension, were included with that email.  

DH and I thought, "What the heck, why not give her a chance?"  I've now been using her for 3 years and am very happy.  She works hard to assure that everything I want I get.  I am unsure if that's because I'm 4-star or because she's good at her job.  Except for the welcome aboard gift that our former TA always sent, I haven't missed dealing with a brick-and-mortar/online TA.  Whenever I need to ask a question, I generally email and receive a response by the close of business the next day.  She has alerted us when there's going to be a price drop prior to final payment, and this time, even after final payment, she gave us onboard credit when the price dropped.  I was floored and pleased!

We generally do not go with the Explore 4 package.  I know some of the online TAs, the big ones, offer some great deals, but I like the personal service of my own PCC.  Hope you have luck finding someone you can work well with.

I have always wondered why PCC's don't or can't at least send something for bon voyage or special occasions.  HAL is saving about 16% (or so) not paying a TA commission.

I guess they have determined that the commission is less than having to hire more staff to handle bookings.