I thought Dogs weren't allowed?

I believe that any RCI bookings made on or after July 31, 2018 will not allow for the accommodating of "emotional support" animals. So, that part of the issue should be gone at the very most by the end of spring 2020.  What remains to be seen is whether RC employees will approach and challenge passengers whose animals are engaged in behaviors that are listed as not permitted on board ship.  I think many employees will find that a difficult task especially if the passengers are upper tier C&A members who have grown accustomed to having "carte blanche" when it comes to their animals.

On 10/18/2018 at 10:24 AM, John&LaLa said:

I have never seen a dog in the SL of Oasis, Allure, or Harmony.  I have seen them in the DL.

Probably have 100 days on those 3 ships

I'm on Harmony right now, 10/19, and earlier at the private island , sitting in the suite area, a yorkie got loose, and raced and ran all over and everyone thought it was so adorable running all over everyone. Definitely a pet, not a service dog. We questioned the concierge and he said yes, dogs allowed if you complete the paperwork. 

7 minutes ago, Gmatothemax said:

I'm on Harmony right now, 10/19, and earlier at the private island , sitting in the suite area, a yorkie got loose, and raced and ran all over and everyone thought it was so adorable running all over everyone. Definitely a pet, not a service dog. We questioned the concierge and he said yes, dogs allowed if you complete the paperwork. 

Have you seen it in the SL this week?

3 hours ago, Gmatothemax said:

So the concierge is saying anyone can bring their pet (dog) on board ship as long as they complete paperwork. Wonder what questions are asked on paperwork. 

On 10/17/2018 at 4:35 PM, cruisefan0110 said:

Once there is required valid documentation, then they could ask for it.  I truly feel sorry for those that have a valid need for emotional support animals but are no longer able to use them due to the others abuse.

I truly don’t. As harsh as that sounds, everyone worries about the “emotional support “ and forgets about those seriously allergic...... God forbid they would have travelled 25 years ago without “muffy “ 😡😱

• Like 2

You can probably get more of a reaction from RC if these pictures are posted on social media (FB / Instagram / Twitter etc) vs CC.  There is a bigger following on these sites than CC.  If enough people make noise RC will enforce their policy.  I don't dislike dogs, I just rather not have them in the same place I eat or sitting in a chair at a table.  

• Like 5

On 10/18/2018 at 8:29 AM, reallyitsmema said:

We encountered the furball in the SL within the first hour of our cruise.  The dog was on the far end of the banquette near the windows with the passenger sitting in her scooter, facing the windows, with her back to the room.  There is no way I would have approached her and there was no way my first interaction with the Concierges was going to be a complaint about another passenger.  Never saw the furball in the SL again and we never sat on the banquette.

First day, last day or any day in between, I would have politely asked the concierge if pets are allowed on furniture?  It's not a compliant, it's a logically question. 

11 hours ago, blindrid said:

I truly don’t. As harsh as that sounds, everyone worries about the “emotional support “ and forgets about those seriously allergic...... God forbid they would have travelled 25 years ago without “muffy “ 😡😱

If I am reading your post correctly, we are not discussing "muffy".  I believe everyone here believes that the emotional support animal policy has been terribly abused.  I am talking about trained/certified support animals.  Yes, some people would not have travelled 25 years ago.  I, for one, am glad that we now understand emotional needs more clearly.  And I will gladly share my cruise with those.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2018 at 4:58 PM, mitz18 said:

Their butts are clean because they lick them and/or rub them on the carpet (or WJ chair).   Was on Adventure in Sept and 2 officers were guarding a pile of poop by the elevator door waiting for a crewman to pick it up.  Dogs (any animal for that matter) should not be allowed on a ship, plane, etc.

I think any passengers whose dogs or other animals defecate in a public area should be put off at the next port.  Especially when they walk away from the pile of poop and expect an employee to clean it up.  RCI should change Cruise Guidlines.  This should NOT apply to service animals only Emotional Support Animals like Little Fluffy.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

I think any passengers whose dogs or other animals defecate in a public area should be put off at the next port.  Especially when they walk away from the pile of poop and expect an employee to clean it up.  RCI should change Cruise Guidlines.  This should NOT apply to service animals only Emotional Support Animals like Little Fluffy.  

I have no problem with that provided the same happens to drunks who throw up in public spaces.  I have never seen dog poop on a cruise, and have never been on a cruise and NOT seen the crew cleaning up vomit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2018 at 2:24 PM, parrotfeathers said:

I think I met this dog and his/her owner last year.  If it's the same elder man, I think he truly needed it.  I think he was a pinnacle, not that that fact should matter.

Not the same dog. The owner was a women in her 50's I'm guessing.

• Like 1

I love the mental gymnastics by pet owners to try to scientifically prove why it's OK for a pet to be on a ship.  

the entitled will never stop.  Men like that in the pic on the adventure; shoot me if I ever turn into an emasculated man needing a stroller and a tiny dog. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I love the mental gymnastics by pet owners to try to scientifically prove why it's OK for a pet to be on a ship.  

the entitled will never stop.  Men like that in the pic on the adventure; shoot me if I ever turn into an emasculated man needing a stroller and a tiny dog. 

Chick magnet 🐾

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Edit... Seriously?

Edited by Domino D

29 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

My sister has a little dog. I do not know if she has a stroller, but she does have a bag she carries the dog in.  My brother in law carries it if she tells him to.  He lost a leg in Vietnam, rehabbed and has worked as a heavy equipment operator since.  You shouldn't judge a book by its cover, or a man by his dog.  

• Like 3

This is just another of the age old problems that continue to arise in society.  There are very few people who have a problem with a true trained service dog-if they do, tough.  Most people wouldn't have a problem with emotional support dogs IF they were ALL trained appropriately to be in public areas.  Most of the people in this thread would probably train their emotional support dog appropriately if they needed one.

However, as we all know, there are all those other people who don't and abuse the system.  It's the age old problem of having to police those people by hurting the rules following people.  The reality of it is if you really want to solve the problem, you have to ban it.  For RC and other businesses there's really no way to go through the process on a case by case basis, figure out which dogs are trained appropriately, who really needs them, who's just abusing, and be right most of the time.

Lifeguards were once rarely needed-now they spring into action much more often and its usually from stupidity more than anything else-sometimes not, but usually.  I'm mildly worried that with more and more publicity being shown about the people who fall off the ship that someday there might by a 10' wire fence along the perimeter of the decks that also encloses the balconies.  

Edited by scheat