Cruise Critic Community
buffalobob716

I thought Dogs weren't allowed?

3 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

I cant judge, could be one of a dozen services it provides. And most are NOT emotional support

That’s way too hard for some to understand unfortunately.

all some people want to d is judge others.

8 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Quod erat demonstrandum.  That which was to be shown.  i.e., here's the proof.

OK thanks.  I like and respect you Carol.  I'm just done with this thread.  Genug already.

On 12/22/2018 at 7:45 PM, Kingofcool1947 said:

Are you suggesting therapy/enotional support animals don’t serve a useful purpose/service?

I would like you to tell that to my buddy’s face.  He suffers from PTSD.  His dog keeps the Sarge from going into a deep depression.

http://usdogregistry.org/information/information-on-emotional-support-dogs/

King

A trained dog for PTSD is usually classified as a service dog, not emotional support. There are a number of functions that service dogs are trained to do when it comes to PTSD.  Some of these are described in the following extraction:

PTSD service dogs are a type of psychiatric service dog. Psychiatric service dogs are as legitimate as any other type of service dog, such as a mobility assistance dog, seizure alert dog, or “seeing eye” dog. PTSD service dogs can be trained to perform any number of disability-mitigating tasks, including:

• Retrieving medication
  • Turning on lights and waking up their handler if he or she is having a night terror
  • Searching the home to alleviate symptoms of hypervigilance
  • Guiding their handler home during a dissociative episode
  • Initiating tactile intervention when a handler experiences sensory overload
  • Grounding their handler during a flashback

Unfortunately a lot of people just consider dogs for PTSD to just be emotional support and not service animals. This includes those that are trained to recognize episodes of depression and respond to them.

So if your friend has been diagnosed with PTSD and his dog is trained to respond and react to alleviate his symptoms it should be considered to be a service dog, not just an emotional support animal, with the appropriate protections.

Saw three last week (& the one before) on Navigator that seemed true service dogs. Well trained and NOT in MDR or in lounges that I saw. Only observed when they appeared to be truely “working”.

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Q.E.D.

10th grade plane geometry, signalling the proof is completed.

One can generally tell a true service dog's behavior when compared to a yippy and snarly dressed up lap dog whose owner's sense of entitlement lets them rationalize gaming the system and dragging their pet along on a cruise.

Yippy lap dogs detreact from true service dogs and their mission to assist and support their owners.  Yippy lap dogs do not belong sitting at the table in the MDR or buffet.

24 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

One can generally tell a true service dog's behavior when compared to a yippy and snarly dressed up lap dog whose owner's sense of entitlement lets them rationalize gaming the system and dragging their pet along on a cruise.

Yippy lap dogs detreact from true service dogs and their mission to assist and support their owners.  Yippy lap dogs do not belong sitting at the table in the MDR or buffet.

If they have the temperament and behavior,  can  small lap dogs serve as true service dogs?

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

On 12/26/2018 at 3:00 AM, roadburner said:

Saw three last week (& the one before) on Navigator that seemed true service dogs. Well trained and NOT in MDR or in lounges that I saw. Only observed when they appeared to be truely “working”.

I don't care where a true Service animal is with their owner.  If someone is in need of the Service animal then of course they will be seen in the MDR or lounges.  But a true Service animal will simply be by the side of their owner, not sitting in a stroller or anywhere near the food on the table.  They will be trained like that old lab that just lays there and doesn't move unless instructed.  That is what their training will enforce. 

And people should know that a Service animal should never be approached, petted without the handlers approval.  Even then they shouldn't be approached because they are working.

I'm surprised you would see a lot of dogs on a TA.  I thought it was expensive and complicated to get an animal into an overseas country.

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm surprised you would see a lot of dogs on a TA.  I thought it was expensive and complicated to get an animal into an overseas country.

Our last TA had 4 ESD's🙄

Taking dogs to Europe is fairly simple.  We do travel often with our dog - as a pet and we pay the fees.

31 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Taking dogs to Europe is fairly simple.  We do travel often with our dog - as a pet and we pay the fees.

On a airplane?

King

Yes an 

16 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

On a airplane?

King

Yes - I don't think custom rules are different if they arrive on a ship.

19 minutes ago, Teacher42 said:

We think these pet owners should be REQUIRED to get their pets a 'genie' for the cruise.

And who decides if it’s a pet or a service dog?

Posted (edited)

Pet owners, you obviously want the best for your pet. We  have seen some of you pet owners treating your 'little darlings 'better than your spouse. Look at all the benefits your pet will receive with its very own 'genie'. Why, we will bet your 'little darlings' will have a better time than you do on the cruise.

Edited by Teacher42

Also, you all know that the suites are not that clean. We bring a carry-on filled with disinfectants. A can of lysol to spray the furniture and everything else. Clorax wipes for all handles, sink and toilet. We carry 3 battery charged UV ultra violet wands to go over everything, drapes , tv controls etc. Throw-away flip-flops to wear in the room and shower to avoid fungi on the floors and carpets. We try to avoid as much as possible and consider any cruise a success if we do not get sick.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

Also, you all know that the suites are not that clean. We bring a carry-on filled with disinfectants. A can of lysol to spray the furniture and everything else. Clorax wipes for all handles, sink and toilet. We carry 3 battery charged UV ultra violet wands to go over everything, drapes , tv controls etc. Throw-away flip-flops to wear in the room and shower to avoid fungi on the floors and carpets. We try to avoid as much as possible and consider any cruise a success if we do not get sick.

Do you pack these as well? 

And as germaphobes, where do you dine on the ship? Or do you just stay in your room, and order room service?

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

King

D08F73CB-607F-4DBF-9DA3-1EBE85D0D38D_zps

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Dear King,  Your example is missing the disposable booties, so you do not track the filth you are trying to avoid. We purchased the gas masks years ago. They can store for years and are only good for one use, purchased at the time from Magellans , a well known travel supply company. They are specific for travelers that stay in hotels and cruise ships to allow them precious added minutes to escape the deadly toxic smoke that most fire victims succumb. It is not the fire that kills most of its victims, its the smoke.

12 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Do you pack these as well? 

And as germaphobes, where do you dine on the ship? Or do you just stay in your room, and order room service?

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

King

D08F73CB-607F-4DBF-9DA3-1EBE85D0D38D_zps

I was kind of wondering the same thing. When he said any cruise where they don't get sick is a good one, all I could think about is how much more likely someone is to get sick when they have no immune system because they've never been exposed to germs.