I thought Dogs weren't allowed?

I'm sorry - I don't buy the "emotional service animal" moniker.  Legitimate needs for a service animal for issues such as PTSD, result in getting a certified service dog, not a yippy fluff ball wearing an ETSY-made vest, sitting in a baby stroller.

My daughter and I went on a brewery tour a couple of weeks ago.  We had to pre-book the tour as it is a very popular brewery.  One of the other participants stated that she could not possibly do the 20 minute tour without her yippy "emotional support dog" who, as she checked in, was furiously humping my leg.  Not a legitimate service animal.  (Interesting side note:  they granted her request, except that the dog was not allowed in the Hops Room - apparently being exposed to active Hops in the air, can be harmful to dogs.) 

On 10/17/2018 at 1:26 PM, buffalobob716 said:

I personally have no problem with it, but I thought dogs weren't allowed on the ships anymore? Just took this picture on the Majesty docked in Key West.

20181017_130640.jpg

Now I have to read the entire thread and see if the dog was seen later reserving pool chairs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/18/2018 at 6:20 PM, itsmeagain said:

Next time you are onboard ask the staff up in the SL how often it happens.  I have seen it as recently as last week on the Oasis and have seen the same lady before, with and without the dog during the cruise. Makes us wonder.

I also saw the lady with the dog and it was on her lap at the bar.

I also saw a family in the SL on the Presidents cruise with their dog in the stroller during lunch one day in CK. 

Most of you are too easy on these people. I would truly raise heck if I saw dogs on my cruise. I own a dog and love her to death, but there's no way I'd sit still and let these animals sit on the furniture, crap on the floors or leave hairs and fleas everywhere on the ship! I don't care how much money you have. People need to leave their pets home just like I do! I realize that some need emotional support animals, but why expose others to their so-called needs? Total disregard to those that are allergic to dogs or other animals. I've seen this time and time again, and it's time the cruise lines enforce their policies!

• Like 9

On 11/20/2018 at 11:39 AM, jordanaire said:

Most of you are too easy on these people. I would truly raise heck if I saw dogs on my cruise. I own a dog and love her to death, but there's no way I'd sit still and let these animals sit on the furniture, crap on the floors or leave hairs and fleas everywhere on the ship! I don't care how much money you have. People need to leave their pets home just like I do! I realize that some need emotional support animals, but why expose others to their so-called needs? Total disregard to those that are allergic to dogs or other animals. I've seen this time and time again, and it's time the cruise lines enforce their policies!

Thank you from an animal owner who understands. The allergy issue and that there are some of us who are just downright afraid of dogs and owners who say "oh she/he won't bite". And yes the flea and hair issue, again, thanks.

• Like 4

On 11/20/2018 at 11:39 AM, jordanaire said:

Your heck raising plan might satisfy you but it will do nothing to stop dogs from being allowed to board ships.   Good luck. 

Edited by neverbeenhere
  • Haha 1

If there are dogs on board, the cruise line sets up a "comfort station".  I accompanied a passenger there with his Guide Dog once.  

It's a very short box with fake grass covering what I assume is some sort of absorbent material (sawdust? kitty litter?  no idea, never saw what was underneath).  I didn't pay much attention -- was busy talking to my new cruise friend at the time -- but I would estimate it was about 3'x5' in size, give or take a foot in each direction. 

There was a supply of plastic bags and a covered trash bin for taking care of solids, and liquids just went down into the box.  There was absolutely no smell.  It was kind of tucked behind some equipment (maybe some of those inflatable life rafts?) on the deck so it wasn't obtrusive at all. 

On 11/22/2018 at 9:43 PM, neverbeenhere said:

Your heck raising plan might satisfy you but it will do nothing to stop dogs from being allowed to board ships.   Good luck. 

Heck raising is probably a violation of the guest conduct policy.  

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

If there are dogs on board, the cruise line sets up a "comfort station".  I accompanied a passenger there with his Guide Dog once.  

It's a very short box with fake grass covering what I assume is some sort of absorbent material (sawdust? kitty litter?  no idea, never saw what was underneath).  I didn't pay much attention -- was busy talking to my new cruise friend at the time -- but I would estimate it was about 3'x5' in size, give or take a foot in each direction. 

There was a supply of plastic bags and a covered trash bin for taking care of solids, and liquids just went down into the box.  There was absolutely no smell.  It was kind of tucked behind some equipment (maybe some of those inflatable life rafts?) on the deck so it wasn't obtrusive at all. 

RE: The material in the box.  When the guest informs the cruiseline that the dog is coming on the cruise, the company asks the owner which type of material the dog prefers.

• Like 1

So, I am the one that posted about the 3 dogs in one family on Freedom at the beginning of the week.  I also saw a dog that appeared to be a true service dog during muster.  So, I know that we had at least 4 dogs on board.  

But, throughout the week, they weren't a problem.  I never saw 3 of them again.  

One night, the comedian was telling a joke about dogs.  Then, one of the dog owners strolled in late. He put the spotlight on her and said something about her being late to his show.  Then, everyone saw the dog and started laughing,  but, she just held the little guy up and marched to the stage and set him right up in the stage next to the comedian.  It was actually pretty funny. 

So, other than seeing the one dog at the show, I didn't see or hear the other ones.  I am still not in favor of dogs on cruises, but I just wanted to report that it didn't affect my cruise in any way.  

On 11/20/2018 at 6:44 AM, momofmab said:

I'm sorry - I don't buy the "emotional service animal" moniker.  Legitimate needs for a service animal for issues such as PTSD, result in getting a certified service dog, not a yippy fluff ball wearing an ETSY-made vest, sitting in a baby stroller.

My daughter and I went on a brewery tour a couple of weeks ago.  We had to pre-book the tour as it is a very popular brewery.  One of the other participants stated that she could not possibly do the 20 minute tour without her yippy "emotional support dog" who, as she checked in, was furiously humping my leg.  Not a legitimate service animal.  (Interesting side note:  they granted her request, except that the dog was not allowed in the Hops Room - apparently being exposed to active Hops in the air, can be harmful to dogs.) 

That wasn't a support animal, that was a leg hound.

On 11/20/2018 at 2:39 PM, jordanaire said:

I totally agree!!!

• Like 2