Arriving in SJU in the middle of the night

EeyoreRN

Thanks!Just found decent fares on JetBlue for May, so now this thing is real and we are super excited!  The only slight issue is that we arrive at SJU at 3am.  Does anyone here have experience with this?  Will there be taxis available at the airport?  Should we arrange some other transportation? Our hotel is the Condado Plaza Hilton or the Hyatt Place, and I know there is a 24 hour Denny's at the Plaza and they have assured me someone will be there at the front desk.

Totally unfamiliar with San Juan would appreciate some advice from vets.  Thanks!

You will have no problem at SJU with taxis as they are readily available 24hrs. The Condado Plaza is right at the end (or begining, depending where you're coming from) of the Condado tourist area. It does have a Denny's on location and some other places to eat nearby within walking distance. Hyatt Place has nothing near. Just FYI. Hyatt is near to the PanAm pier in case that's your embarkation pier. No matter where you decide to stay, there will be someone there waiting for you.

On 10/17/2018 at 3:23 PM, Stinger-pr said:

You will have no problem at SJU with taxis as they are readily available 24hrs. The Condado Plaza is right at the end (or begining, depending where you're coming from) of the Condado tourist area. It does have a Denny's on location and some other places to eat nearby within walking distance. Hyatt Place has nothing near. Just FYI. Hyatt is near to the PanAm pier in case that's your embarkation pier. No matter where you decide to stay, there will be someone there waiting for you.

I was about to ask a similar question but I'll ask you instead. We fly in at 6am on a Sunday. I thought about getting a private driver to take us around until 1pm when we board our cruise. Do you have any recommendations on companies to hire or places to go on Sunday mornings? After reading your reviews, I feel you're the man to ask lol

21 minutes ago, Logansdaddy said:

I was about to ask a similar question but I'll ask you instead. We fly in at 6am on a Sunday. I thought about getting a private driver to take us around until 1pm when we board our cruise. Do you have any recommendations on companies to hire or places to go on Sunday mornings? After reading your reviews, I feel you're the man to ask lol

I can't really recommend private  operators since its against guidelines here and I haven't really used one anyway. Ship I can't help much there, sorry. That said, you should not have to much trouble negotiating a tour with one of the taxis you board at the airport. They work under the same rules as the ones at the piers and most go back and forth between the airport and piers anyway. The arrival time might present a bit if a struggle, though. Most places will be closed at least until 9am, including paves of interest like the forts. You could store your bags at Barrachina Rest. while you explore the city and find a place for breakfast. Cafe Majorca and Chocobar Cortes are two of the popular breakfast places among visitors. You could then lock your bags up and catch a cab to the ship or walk to it, depending on which pier you're sailing from.

On 10/17/2018 at 4:23 PM, Stinger-pr said:

Thanks this makes me feel better. I really want to stay at the Condado Plaza, but I know it is under construction, and it hasn't gotten very good reviews lately. I think it will be the much better option for the early arrival. We are sailing on Royal Caribbean and will be using Pan American Pier and that is why my second choice would be the Hyatt Place, which actually gets GREAT reviews pretty much across the board. I have reservations at both and will wait to see about the construction before making a final decision. Again, advice appreciated!

4 hours ago, EeyoreRN said:

Thanks this makes me feel better. I really want to stay at the Condado Plaza, but I know it is under construction, and it hasn't gotten very good reviews lately. I think it will be the much better option for the early arrival. We are sailing on Royal Caribbean and will be using Pan American Pier and that is why my second choice would be the Hyatt Place, which actually gets GREAT reviews pretty much across the board. I have reservations at both and will wait to see about the construction before making a final decision. Again, advice appreciated!

Yeah the Condado Plaza is still under reconstruction so I'd guess your best bet would be the Hyatt. There's an Olive Garden and a Longhorn Steakhouse right besides it but not relevant to your arrival time. Denny's is a quick cab or Uber ride away and the pier from where you'll be boarding is even closer, about a mile away.

32 minutes ago, Stinger-pr said:

Yeah the Condado Plaza is still under reconstruction so I'd guess your best bet would be the Hyatt. There's an Olive Garden and a Longhorn Steakhouse right besides it but not relevant to your arrival time. Denny's is a quick cab or Uber ride away and the pier from where you'll be boarding is even closer, about a mile away.

Do you have any idea when the construction will be finished? We have 7 months until time of travel.

3 minutes ago, EeyoreRN said:

Do you have any idea when the construction will be finished? We have 7 months until time of travel.

If I'm not mistaken, the tower overlooking the lagoon (I think they call it "Bay View" now) is fully operational. The tower towards the ocean is the one still having work done. I think they're allowing limited bookings in that wing but your best bet would be to give them a call and see what's up.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cool Cruiser,

One warning about that flight you have.  I was booked on that late flight, Jet Blue for a cruise in 2017.  I always book far in advance.  About 3 months prior to leaving, they cancelled that flight.  I had a choice of much earlier in the day (would have had to take another day off from work) or early the next morning.  I choose early the next morning.  Got in 10 hours later than planned, but saved a night in the hotel.   I told jet blue that I was going to miss an tour that I had booked and they moved me to a more leg room seat at no charge.  I hope your trip goes as planned but wanted to make you aware.  BTW, I was flying from Newark.  Have fun!!!

10 hours ago, cruisers without kids said:

Cool Cruiser,

One warning about that flight you have.  I was booked on that late flight, Jet Blue for a cruise in 2017.  I always book far in advance.  About 3 months prior to leaving, they cancelled that flight.  I had a choice of much earlier in the day (would have had to take another day off from work) or early the next morning.  I choose early the next morning.  Got in 10 hours later than planned, but saved a night in the hotel.   I told jet blue that I was going to miss an tour that I had booked and they moved me to a more leg room seat at no charge.  I hope your trip goes as planned but wanted to make you aware.  BTW, I was flying from Newark.  Have fun!!!

Thanks for the heads-up! I will prepare myself for the possibility that the late flight might get cancelled. We are leaving from JFK, and it is surprising how many non-stop flights there are; in fact there is one just a few hours earlier. I chose the latest so we can still do work that departure day and get away with not paying for a hotel the "night" we arrive. The next day am flight that was the same price was around 6 am, so I figured I'd rather have my sleepless night already there than have to wake up at 2:30 am to get to the airport (seriously, we wouldn't have slept at all anyway in anticipation of having to catch a super early flight). Like you, we would probably choose early the next day if given the same choice...already taking too much time off work and don't want to pay for another night in a hotel.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/29/2018 at 10:58 PM, cruisers without kids said:

Cool Cruiser,

I almost booked that flight...now I'm glad I didn't.  I booked United instead (from Newark) and am arriving at 1AM.  Since we just want a place to crash for a few hours and don't really care about amenities, we're staying right at the San Juan Airport Hotel.

19 minutes ago, ws422 said:

I almost booked that flight...now I'm glad I didn't.  I booked United instead (from Newark) and am arriving at 1AM.  Since we just want a place to crash for a few hours and don't really care about amenities, we're staying right at the San Juan Airport Hotel.

I was looking at United from Newark but during my dates it was significantly more expensive than JetBlue.

3 hours ago, Loonbeam said:

As an FYI, almost all Hyatt Place's offer breakfast included.  So you can check in, take a nap, get breakfast starting around 6 AM (or stay up), then either relax and head for the ship or arrange a tour.

Thanks. Yes, breakfast is included...but I didn't think it would be available for us for the day we arrive, since check in isn't until later in the afternoon. We arrive Friday and the ship doesn't leave until Sunday. Just hoping where ever we stay will have rooms available early. I might get in touch ahead with both places and find out if they offer early check-in. That might be our deciding factor. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, EeyoreRN said:

Thanks. Yes, breakfast is included...but I didn't think it would be available for us for the day we arrive, since check in isn't until later in the afternoon. We arrive Friday and the ship doesn't leave until Sunday. Just hoping where ever we stay will have rooms available early. I might get in touch ahead with both places and find out if they offer early check-in. That might be our deciding factor. Thanks again!

From a budgetary standpoint this may not work, but you could always reserve an extra night and do online checkin from the airport via their app.    That means the room is yours whenever you get there (do let them know about the 3 AM arrival so they don't give it away).

That said, I have done similar and have never been refused breakfast access while waiting for my room to be ready, for example if I flew in early for a client visit.  'Resort' facilities may be stricter tho.

• Thanks 1

My problem isn't getting to San Juan from Palm Springs, Ca, it is finding a decent departure for home that isn't around midnight into the morning. Daughter & I can get in as early as 6 AM or 1 or 2 PM but getting out is a problem. They start around 5 AM  and our ship won't be cleared on average before 7 AM. If I fly Jet Blue all the way then I can get a 12:06 return flight back to Calif. 

My choices are Jet Blue through JFK arriving at 2:15 PM  $ 622 R/T

Depart PSP 11:09 PM arrive in JFK 7:22 AM,

Depart JFK 9:20 AM arrives in SJU 2:15 PM. 

Return:

Depart SJU 12:45 AM to CHI 

Depart CHI 7 AM for Den 

Depart Den 9:37 AM for Palm Springs arrive 10:50 AM

Or I could take the 12:06 PM flight out of SJ through JFK arriving around 11 Pm for $772. for $100 more I would prefer the 12:06 PM flight

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Desert Cruizers said:

My problem isn't getting to San Juan from Palm Springs, Ca, it is finding a decent departure for home that isn't around midnight into the morning. Daughter & I can get in as early as 6 AM or 1 or 2 PM but getting out is a problem. They start around 5 AM  and our ship won't be cleared on average before 7 AM. If I fly Jet Blue all the way then I can get a 12:06 return flight back to Calif. 

The flight home is essentially the problem factor driving my cost up as well.  The cheaper flights departing on Sunday from San Juan are way too early, and the ones we can catch are all significantly more money.  So to mitigate the total cost of the ticket we opted for the red-eye from JFK to SJU.

At least we have plenty of direct flights from which to choose! We are paying about $380 per person. Which is more than I thought we would have to spend from NYC to San Juan, as the flights during most other dates are around $100pp cheaper.  But I was seeing fares more similar to the ones you are paying on Delta and United before JetBlue finally extended their schedule.  Yikes! Sorry your choices are so complicated.

I am leaning toward JB over arriving at 2:15 and either JB back leaving at 12:06 PM but gets me home close to 11 or we do a Post cruise tour of the Rain Forest and take the 12:45 AM flight  ( United )via Chi & Denver. the daughter would be home by 8:30 AM while I would get into Palm Springs around 11 AM. $622 round trip. If I do United all the way it adds over $250. 

Now departure times have changed , i either go out at 12:06 PM, after the cruise or wait until 1 or 2 AM, this is rediculous.  You would think getting home would be as easy as getting to SJ. I am not going to pay another $200 + for a hotel after the cruise. Since we are doing a B2B, we will also have a full day to explore Old San Juan between cruises so could come in a day before and do a little depending on which arrival we choose. One option I get in around 5:10 AM and the daughter an hour later but then i am looking at 2 AM to leave at the end of the cruise, Monday