To the experienced travelers: What would you do?

Mrs Humuhumu

We are going on our first ever cruise and trip to Europe on the Pursuit April 27th.  I posted a couple of questions on Monday under the "Flotation" board or something like that but now can't find it. 

The cruise ends in Venice.  We have the option of flying home from Venice or taking the train to Florence and staying a few nights and then flying home from there.  Price for flight is about the same.  Should we venture down to Florence or spend two extra days in Venice?  It sounded like (from the replies to my original post) that there was so much to see in Venice. 

Thank you!!!

31 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I’d take Florence every time.  It’s probably my favourite city in Italy and there is lots to see and do for a few days.  Venice once you’ve seen the place briefly, well for me it’s full of tourists and tat.

Phil

I'd agree. 

We have a similar choice this summer (trip ends in Venice).

I think we'll stay in Venice. Somehow, the hustle and bustle of (fellow) tourists doesn't bother us.

As for last comment re CC upgrades - love 'em. Works perfectly on Chrome (notebook), Android (phone) and Chrome (PC). I think that's where folks should begin, when commenting. What operating system are you viewing it on?

Threads load to the location I last read, etc. I wonder if it's optimized for Chrome?

Surprisingly good migration.

5 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I’d take Florence every time.  It’s probably my favourite city in Italy and there is lots to see and do for a few days.  Venice once you’ve seen the place briefly, well for me it’s full of tourists and tat.

Phil

I agree.  I like both cities but to me, Florence is a real town and Venice is sort of an amusement park.

DON

Love both for different reasons so it's a toss up. But let me just add a note about flying into and out of Florence. It's a small airport but very subjet to winds so flight disruptions are not uncommon. If you have time restraints you might want to keep this in mind. 

In addition two days in Florence is really not enough unless you just want to visit The Academia, The Uffizzi and wander in the tightly knit city center. 

Both cities will be beginning the heighth of the tourist season in early May. 

With just two days I'd stay in Venice. 

Just think of this trip as your FIRST trip to Italy.

Enjoy

I’d say stay in Venice. Yes it’s very touristy if you only see the area from the Rialto Bridge to St Marks Suare, but there is so much more to it than that.

suggestions for things to do and see include -

Get a Vaporretto pass for the number of days there and do at least one ride up the full length of the grand canal

take the Vaporretto to Murano & Burano, and go to a glass factory in Murano to see a glass making demonstration

book the Secret Itinerary tour of the Doges Palace

walk around the Jewish Ghetto area and around the Cannaragio area - these will be much quieter

look around the Arsenale boatyards

visit the Peggy Guugenheim gallery of 20th Century art

etc,etc,etc

• Like 1

It looks like you will arrive in Venice at 9AM on a Saturday morning, with an overnight on the Pursuit before disembarking Sunday morning.  You'll have a full day plus the night in Venice.  I would choose to continue on in Venice - adding two more nights will truly give an "intensive" experience and as has been mentioned, you will not want for galleries, palazzos-turned-museums, book stores, and wine bars - and all of it washed in that extraordinary Venetian light.  Enjoy, and let us know what you decide! 

You are going at a quieter time of year and as other posters have note you will have a full day in Venice or can add to that ahead of time. If you love art and culture do Florence once you are already in Italy because there is so much to see a day can not do it.

I would also choose to stay in Venice. There is much to see away from the "tourist trails".

If you get bored with Venice ( though not sure how you could!) then you can take the train to Vicenza and/or Padua both are lovely, not overrun with tourists, and feel genuinely Italian.

In Padua, you must visit the Scrovegni chapel.

If you have time you can also visit Verona.

You can save Florence for another trip.

Depends on how much time you have and how you like carrying luggage. Florence is wonderful and worth several days, but so is Venice. Personally, I like to stay in one place longer than two places shorter, but that is me.   Venice is an amusement park, but is really magical AFTER dark when most tourists have left. Another vote for Padua from Venice.  Padua is a wonderful city and an easy 45 minute train ride, next visit I want to stay there.   See the Scrovegni Chapel.  If you can book the "double turn".  Most visits are timed 5 minutes climatic acclimation and ~9 minutes in the chapel. The double turn gives you ~20 minutes in the chapel and it goes so quickly.  You have to call the box office, but it was easy. Lots to see in Venice, I would avoid St Marks during the day, or get out of town to other islands.

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Just be aware that St Marks Square in Venice is VERY expensive, not really the place to choose to have a cup of coffee.

I found eating in the square in Florence less expensive.

St Marks Square is very expensive, but you can eat and drink at a reasonable cost in Venice as long as you go the the quieter canals and streets away from St Marks Square, the Rialto bridge and the streets between the two.

If you have the time (not having to get home for work, etc.), why not spend some time in both Venice and Florence?

I'm unsure where "home" is, but if you are flying, I'm guessing a fair distance.  Hopefully you have also planned time in Rome prior to your cruise?

We loved Venice.... wandering the alleys, getting off the tourist track, sitting at a canal-side bar for an apero.  Your first night in Venice is on the ship (if I'm looking at the right cruise), so you have a full day and night before having to leave the ship the next morning when you could transfer to a hotel for a few nights.  You could then take the train to Florence and spend a few nights there and then fly home.  Florence is a treasure trove of art and history and so lovely in the evening.

Let us know what you decide.

On 10/18/2018 at 8:00 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I’d say stay in Venice. Yes it’s very touristy if you only see the area from the Rialto Bridge to St Marks Suare, but there is so much more to it than that.

Get a Vaporretto pass for the number of days there and do at least one ride up the full length of the grand canal

take the Vaporretto to Murano & Burano, and go to a glass factory in Murano to see a glass making demonstration

walk around the Jewish Ghetto area and around the Cannaragio area - these will be much quieter

etc,etc,etc

Totally agree!

There is so much more to Venice.

I've been about seven times ---- as part of a cruise, for post-cruise stays and for long weekends. In fact we're next visiting in December. 

Yes, there are zillions of other tourists aroung St Marks and Rialto ----but visit the smaller islands of Burano, Tortello, Lido,

St Michela... 

Walking and getting lost in Venice is all part of the fun! 

Take the vaporetto, sit back and take it all in.

It's an expensive place but you don't need to do a gondola ride or eat in expensive restaurants.

I've been to Florence and it was fun but the city centre was heaving and the Uffizzi was worse than the most popular rooms of  the Hermitage.

If you do decide on Florence, the train journey is simple --- for a few extras euros, travel first class for the very comfortable seating. The wine on the train is reasonable ----unlike the wines on some other trains around the world!

Hope this helps!

On 10/18/2018 at 12:00 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

etc,etc,etc

I second all of that, but would also say stay on the vaporetto and go to Torcello. Almost nobody does, and it's an enchanting little island. Do Murano/Burano first and then have a bit of decompression at Torcello.

If you are only talking a couple of days, then IMO it's not worth the time it'll take you to get to Florence. I love it there, but I'm all about maximizing my time and a long-ish train trip doesn't qualify (DH loves the train and would disagree).