AT&T phone/texting cruise packages

ronmar22

I’m sure that this question has been asked before, however, here goes again.  We are sailing very soon on the Star to Hawaii from LA.  Because of health of a granddaughter back at home, we would like the ability to have contact while on ship during sea days.  AT&T offers “cruise package plans” starting at $50.  for 30 days.  This gives one 50 minutes and “unlimited” texting.  It is available on select cruise ships, the Star Princess among those.  Has anyone had experience with this type of plan?  If so, what other charges can we expect if using these plans on ship?  Do we leave phone in airplane mode, which is what we have been told to do to avoid roaming charges.  We are totally in the dark on these issues.  Attempted to get information from AT&T with no success.  Girl we spoke to had zero knowledge of how the plan worked!  Amazing!    As always, thanks in advance for any help.  

I'm surprised the ATT rep didn't have that knowledge 🙄

I asked the sales rep at a local ATT shop if I could charge an I-phone using European 220 V current.

After checking with the manager, she stated that "No, you can only use American dollars or Mexican Pesos to charge an I-phone."

Sprint is looking better by the day.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, BDRebel said:

I asked the sales rep at a local ATT shop if I could charge an I-phone using European 220 V current.

After checking with the manager, she stated that "No, you can only use American dollars or Mexican Pesos to charge an I-phone."

Now that's just plain funny!!

We used this same plan on our cruise to Norway.  You will need to turn off cellular Data or you will be charged for any data used other than text messages and phone calls. This can add up quickly.  If the ship has good internet, you can make WiFi calls from your phone when you are in airplane mode and connected to the ships internet service.There is a good article on AT&T website that tells you how it works https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1001002?gsi=3R5GlzY

Hope this helps!

I am not surprised about the response the OP got from AT&T.  Their support has been going downhill rapidly.  This is not your grandfather's AT&T.  I did like that to charge an iphone you had to use USD.  😂

The main thing the OP has to watch for is use of data as the allotment in the 30 day plan is very small and if you go over, the charge is really high.  Your apps use automatic data transfer continually.  The other thing to consider is that if someone calls you and you do not answer, it could eat up your minutes.  The idea of using the ship's internet for calling over WiFi is good but you have to have bought (or been given) internet minutes and it is good only for calling out not receiving voice calls.   

13 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I am not surprised about the response the OP got from AT&T.  Their support has been going downhill rapidly.  This is not your grandfather's AT&T.  I did like that to charge an iphone you had to use USD.  😂

The main thing the OP has to watch for is use of data as the allotment in the 30 day plan is very small and if you go over, the charge is really high.  Your apps use automatic data transfer continually.  The other thing to consider is that if someone calls you and you do not answer, it could eat up your minutes.  The idea of using the ship's internet for calling over WiFi is good but you have to have bought (or been given) internet minutes and it is good only for calling out not receiving voice calls.   

Thanks to those responding.  satxdriver, if we leave phone with the "cellular data" in the off position would  that eliminate the concern of going over the allowed data? 

Also, the posting about charging the iPhone made me choke on my coffee.  That's funny!  But, I guess a little sad too.  HAHA

Thanks for starting this thread. You just solved a dilemma for us, that I wasn't going to start to tackle until the middle of next month. Staying in easier contact for 77 days while doing the Australia/NZ and crossing has been resolved. Texting works for us....this is great. 

It's ok, we can use US dollars to charge the phone....but when I was researching a laptop I wanted to use for travel, so I wanted a very lightweight one, apparently the customer service center was not in the US (I know, I was shocked, too - where is the sarcasm font when you need it???), so when I asked how many pounds it was, the guy on the other end said he couldn't tell me the price, they don't have that info. Grrr……..

Another funny story!  Yes, texting would be great for us too.  I will be setting the plan up with AT&T today.  Hopefully it will work out well for us.  I will try to post upon our return and critique the phone/texting plan.  Also, please, anyone with more humorous anecdotes keep bringing em!!

I’ve used the international AT&T plan on a number of my T/A’s and found it generally worked well while in most foreign ports.  I’ve never tried it on the ship via WiFi though.  

The one piece of advice I can give is do not under any circumstances use the Ship’s cellular service.  While some providers have an agreement with Princess, AT&T does not.  Prices for data usages are out of this world expensive.  If memory serves me right, it was $10.00 a megabyte:classic_ohmy:.  I found this out the hard way as AT&T actually shut me down due to my bill had skyrocketed. Using my phone to upload some pictures to FB and onto my “Live From” thread left me with a bill of nearly $400.00:classic_ohmy:.

Bob

I have successfully used Wifi calling with an iPhone 8 Plus and AT&T with no problems. I leave the phone in airplane mode with Wifi turned on to make calls. I also have cellular data turned off to be safe.

DW and I each receive the free Platinum internet minutes, and that provides more than enough minutes for me to make calls when I want.

One problem with Wifi calling is that I do not receive voice mail, so I receive no messages until I get home.

Another problem is that I do not receive text messages when in airplane mode with Wifi. However, I do receive test messages from other iPhones, since they are sent with using data instead of using AT*&T's text message service. This is good for me using Wifi data. However, it could be a problem for someone with free text messages but paying for cellular data - the iPhone text messages would charge for cellular data instead of for text messages.

another option is to use the ships  Cellular  service.  Make sure you turn your data off. And before you leave home forward your phone to another number. Then any text received would be free Texts sent  are $.50 if you add picture it’s like $1.30 I did this on a couple cruises where I needed to stay in touch with people at home.  yes I am with AT&T 

On 10/18/2018 at 11:07 AM, ronmar22 said:

Another funny story!  Yes, texting would be great for us too.  I will be setting the plan up with AT&T today.  Hopefully it will work out well for us.  I will try to post upon our return and critique the phone/texting plan.  Also, please, anyone with more humorous anecdotes keep bringing em!!

Please do post when you get back. I will need to get the how to info and comprehend it, which is 2 different things. 

On 10/18/2018 at 8:37 AM, Woobstr112G said:

I’ve used the international AT&T plan on a number of my T/A’s and found it generally worked well while in most foreign ports.  I’ve never tried it on the ship via WiFi though.  

The one piece of advice I can give is do not under any circumstances use the Ship’s cellular service.  While some providers have an agreement with Princess, AT&T does not.  Prices for data usages are out of this world expensive.  If memory serves me right, it was $10.00 a megabyte:classic_ohmy:.  I found this out the hard way as AT&T actually shut me down due to my bill had skyrocketed. Using my phone to upload some pictures to FB and onto my “Live From” thread left me with a bill of nearly $400.00:classic_ohmy:.

Bob

Bob, check AT&T again. I thought the same as you until yesterday. AT&T and Princess recently established an agreement and to me their cruise plan looks reasonable.

I am without doubt the least tech savvy guy in the room so I have to ask......I purchased the unlimited wi-fi option for our upcoming 14 day Caribbean trip on the CB. 

To avoid all of these worries with their very scary cost implications, can’t I just use an ap like Skype or Whatsap for ALL of my texting and calling needs while on board the ship?

7 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

I am without doubt the least tech savvy guy in the room so I have to ask......I purchased the unlimited wi-fi option for our upcoming 14 day Caribbean trip on the CB. 

To avoid all of these worries with their very scary cost implications, can’t I just use an ap like Skype or Whatsap for ALL of my texting and calling needs while on board the ship?

If you're using Skype and Whatsapp, you're definitely not the least savvy tech guy in the room. Yes, reports on the CB's wi-fi indicate it supports those apps very well.