Posting Toolbar - Whaddaya See?

POA1

If I can get a little help from the peanut gallery*, can I get some feedback on what you see in terms of the posting toolbar in the CKEditor? (That's the software that is used for the WYSIWYG** editor in the new CC boards.)

There are three versions defined by the Invision Community software:  Large/Desktop, Medium/Tablet, and Small/Phone. I've seen posts from people who are on computers with decent sized screens, but they see the smaller, tablet toolbar.

(1) Desktop or Full Toolbar:

Toolbar-Large-Desktop.thumb.jpg.0ec7b2fbc44f1ad1f87cf47ea5ea3f8a.jpg

(2) Medium/Tablet Toolbar

Toolbar-Medium-Tablet.jpg.3fe08c1f26512f2c99fb2bdb9959be96.jpg

(3) Small/Phone Toolbar

Toolbar-Small-Phone.JPG.0922da7305baa89ce731c214f85c9d6e.JPG

I'm most interested in hearing from people who have a large format laptop or tablet but don't see the full toolbar. I'm pretty sure that I know why some people are missing the Font Size and Color buttons. They're being served the Medium toolbar by mistake.

If you fall into the category of people who should see the full toolbar (laptop or PC) but don't, please post your Operating System, Browser, and Screen Size. You'd be posting something like Windows 10, Firefox, 1920x1080.

Science thanks you!

* - Can I still say, "Peanut Gallery?" I hope that's not offensive now. If a bunch of social justice warriors come after me claiming peanut allergies, tell them I apologize. It's Buffalo Bob's fault.

** - What You See Is What You Get - The cool kids call it a visual editor nowadays.

Edited by POA1
  • Haha 1

I see the second screen on my Ipad, Brian.  

It's a full screen larger Ipad and software is completely up to date.

Now, here's the weird thing.  

If I START a thread, I get the full meal deal (#1) but when I reply, I get the #2.

(Thank heavens for that as I use the Ipad for my Bon Voyage threads due to the need for itinerary pics).  Easier to download from my Ipad by far 😉 

Before the format changed, my Ipad had the same format as my laptop (which is on chrome).  I could do the exact same things on it as I could on my laptop whether I was replying to a thread or starting a new one.

I get the full deal, but I still haven't figured out how to change the font size using that toolbar (I can't get it to "save" my change). As a result, I just use my computer's (I am using a desktop) font enlarger.

By the way, this is my first response with the new system; will see what happens!

Yay! It worked!

Edited by PSR

I see #1 on my desktop pc and on my tablet when it is turned wide ways (longer side to side). I see #2 on my tablet when it is turned tall ways (longer up and down).

Oh and yay for Science!

Edited by fatcat04

22 minutes ago, kazu said:

I see the second screen on my Ipad, Brian.  

It's a full screen larger Ipad and software is completely up to date.

Now, here's the weird thing.  

If I START a thread, I get the full meal deal (#1) but when I reply, I get the #2.

(Thank heavens for that as I use the Ipad for my Bon Voyage threads due to the need for itinerary pics).  Easier to download from my Ipad by far 😉 

Before the format changed, my Ipad had the same format as my laptop (which is on chrome).  I could do the exact same things on it as I could on my laptop whether I was replying to a thread or starting a new one.

Try turning your iPad sideways. I think that the advertising "zones" in the CSS are messing with the content area. 

If it's not that, I have another theory. :classic_wacko:

11 minutes ago, PSR said:

I get the full deal, but I still haven't figured out how to change the font size using that toolbar (I can't get it to "save" my change). As a result, I just use my computer's (I am using a desktop) font enlarger.

By the way, this is my first response with the new system; will see what happens!

Yay! It worked!

Near as I can tell, the font size and color preferences aren't saved in your profile like they used to be. 

Not to get too off topic, but since you posted shots of the toolbars I wanted to point out something else.  I have seen several complaints in various threads about the lack of a preview button.  It is the magnifying glass icon at the far right of each toolbar shown above.

Within the preview window, it also gives the option to view the preview at desktop, tablet, or phone size.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Try turning your iPad sideways. I think that the advertising "zones" in the CSS are messing with the content area. 

If it's not that, I have another theory. :classic_wacko:

Ipad is sideways, Brian.  Always sideways sitting on my bluetooth keyboard 😉

I checked lengthwise for the fun of it and can't see half as much as what I do with it sideways.

Interesting that fatcat is getting #1 with tablet turned sideways (wide) - same position as my Ipad is in and getting #2.

this site seems to be inconsistent.  No wonder it is H3LL.

1 minute ago, MTAK said:

Not to get too off topic, but since you posted shots of the toolbars I wanted to point out something else.  I have seen several complaints in various threads about the lack of a preview button.  It is the magnifying glass icon at the far right of each toolbar shown above.

Within the preview window, it also gives the option to view the preview at desktop, tablet, or phone size.

Ah ha!

I did press that but it was all blank.  I obviously had to push tablet.  

Thanks 😄

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Ah ha!

I did press that but it was all blank.  I obviously had to push tablet.  

Thanks 😄

I wondered about that.  Since I am on a desktop I can see all three formats, but didn't imagine that it worked the other way around, i.e. desktop view on a phone or tablet.

1 minute ago, MTAK said:

I wondered about that.  Since I am on a desktop I can see all three formats, but didn't imagine that it worked the other way around, i.e. desktop view on a phone or tablet.

The only options on my Ipad (aka tablet) are phone or tablet.  Desk top appeared and then disappeared, leaving me with just the 2 options.  

I'm relatively sure that the site (or its CSS) is misreading the User Agent string. I can force the large toolbar on my phone by sending the Chrome "desktop" string and force my PC to receive the tablet version by tweaking the User Agent variable.

I'm just glad that they gave this a full week of testing before they released it into the wild. BTW - Has anyone seen Walt? I fear that the CSS has a:

#user.HostWalt {
    display:none;
]

thing going on.

2 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I'm relatively sure that the site (or its CSS) is misreading the User Agent string. I can force the large toolbar on my phone by sending the Chrome "desktop" string and force my PC to receive the tablet version by tweaking the User Agent variable.

I'm just glad that they gave this a full week of testing before they released it into the wild. BTW - Has anyone seen Walt? I fear that the CSS has a:

#user.HostWalt {
    display:none;
]

thing going on.

LOL,

I'm not sure how to "force" the chrome desktop string to my Ipad and frankly, it shouldn't be necessary.  I'm probably venting for no reason since I have tried to reply to a couple of posts and the system just stalls.

LOL on the full week of testing.  What the H did they do with this week?  

I am sure CC hired HAL's geeks (and that's NOT a compliment).

35 minutes ago, MTAK said:

Thank you MTAK.  That was very helpful.

11 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I see only version #2 on all computers.

Computer #1 -- laptop -- Windows 10

Computer #2 -- desk top -- Windows 10

Computer #3 -- laptop -- Windows 7

Which browser are you using? Microsoft Edge or something else? 

If you are using Chrome, there's a fix you can use. (This is pretty limited, but I'll try to expand it.)  Click on the menu - the three dots on the upper right part of the screen.  If you see an option for "Desktop site", click it. That should give you the full toolbar.

It's not going to work everywhere. You'll need Chrome and it will have to be operating in the mobile mode. I tested it on an Android phone and tablet. If this doesn't work, don't worry. We're just trying to fool the web server into thinking that we're running a Desktop browser. There are many ways to do this. It'll just take a little while to cover all the bases.

.cf2cd358-8b5a-4ea0-a724-e587efc2e46d920375893_PerfectlyClear.thumb.jpg.8af3c690a001bc1ce5a37f5d839ec1a1.jpg

Ok, on the desktop I get version 1, as I should.   On the phone I get version 3 if the screen is tall and narrow.  But, if I rotate the screen so it is wide and short, I get version 2.   

Desktop is Windows 10 using Chrome

Phone is iPhone SE

I have an Apple MacPro and I get the full version on it; but version 2 on my iPad, and 3 on my iPhone.  (Safari)  So I guess all is as it should be.  I don't know what I did, but I can't get my phone to turn sideways.  I mean, I can turn it sideways (duh!), but the format stays upright.  Hopefully I can sort that out tomorrow at the Apple shop.