PACIFIC EDEN will be late arriving into Sydney 19/10

My daughter is on the Pacific Eden with her family and they have had significant mechanical problems with the ship since leaving Sydney on 10/10.    They have missed two of four ports and now look like they will arrive into Sydney late, around 4.00pm instead of 7.00am.

So it has been a debacle with flights having to be re-booked, transfers cancelled and accommodation booked overnight in Sydney.  Hopefully travel insurance will cover most of the additional costs.  However P&O have offered no assistance at all, other than giving passengers access to telephone lines to contact travel agents, airlines etc.  I have been very disappointed in their response, given the delay sits squarely on their shoulders (being caused by mechanical problems, not weather etc).

Is this a common occurance with this ship?

Edited by cruising kirby

1 hour ago, cruising kirby said:

However P&O have offered no assistance at all, other than giving passengers access to telephone lines to contact travel agents, airlines etc.  I have been very disappointed in their response, given the delay sits squarely on their shoulders (being caused by mechanical problems, not weather etc).

Clearly an unfortunate experience for the passengers, given what you report are the circumstances. It must be very disappointing for them - clearly they have received less than what they paid for, and now will be late returning.  P&O presumablyy will provide compensation at some point, but just wondering, what you expect P&O to do at this point, other than giving access to phone lines to enable alternate travel plans to be made? 

I was on P&O Pacific Jewel around NZ when it was having mechanical problems and missed half the ports including the sounds and got back late. 

Got a measly $50 cabin obc to say sorry so don’t hold your breath about being compensated adequately from P&O. Part of the reason they will always be my last choice for a cruise holiday going forward regardless of how much they try and jazz up their product.

I realise it’s a reality mechanical issues and their t’s an c’s mean they don’t have to do anything for it, but when you look forward to something and invest in their product you hope they can deliver on it.

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Clearly an unfortunate experience for the passengers, given what you report are the circumstances. It must be very disappointing for them - clearly they have received less than what they paid for, and now will be late returning.  P&O presumablyy will provide compensation at some point, but just wondering, what you expect P&O to do at this point, other than giving access to phone lines to enable alternate travel plans to be made? 

I would have expected P&O to have taken responsibility for the delay by offering to cover all reasonable costs for the adjustment of travel plans without the need for travel insurance claims.  I also think that any offer of compensation by way of future cruise credit etc should be made known to pax now, to alleviate distress and angst that is apparently rife on the ship.  Pax were supposed to have been given a refund to their on board accounts of the equivalent of 2 days cruise cost, I  assume that has happened. I acknowledge the gesture, but really it isn't sufficient.  A 10 night cruise with just 2 ports instead of 4 is a long way from what passengers paid for.  All those extra seas days were bound to use up on board credit anyway, with drinks and other paid activities.  I know that P&O will be disposing of the Pacific Eden next year, but in the interim, I think it is reasonable for passengers to expect a ship that delivers the itinerary booked, subject to things outside the cruislines control, like weather.

I think your expectations are too high, but that's just me. Most would likely not be out any money, and those that are would be out flight change fees or new flight costs or similar. If it was me, I likely would shrug, make the best of it & put in an insurance claim later in the week. And anyone that would suffer distress and angst for being delayed on their holiday, onboard a nice ship for an extra 9 hours, well...……. Travel is not without it's downsides & that Murphy is always a lurking.

11 minutes ago, mr walker said:

I think your expectations are too high, but that's just me. Most would likely not be out any money, and those that are would be out flight change fees or new flight costs or similar. If it was me, I likely would shrug, make the best of it & put in an insurance claim later in the week. And anyone that would suffer distress and angst for being delayed on their holiday, onboard a nice ship for an extra 9 hours, well...……. Travel is not without it's downsides & that Murphy is always a lurking.

To put it another way $4!7 happens

From my experience with Carnival Corporation over the years, they are never very generous in compensating pax for missed ports, mechanical issues etc. A hundred or so dollars obc is the norm.

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

you have to watch out for the Murphy character, always have a contingency plan and don't stress when things go pear shape.

51 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

you have to watch out for the Murphy character, always have a contingency plan and don't stress when things go pear shape.

He struck last month when our Jetstar flight [SYD-BRS] was cancelled almost at boarding time. Eventually got transferred to a QANTAS flight over 8 hours later. No compensation from Jetstar, and as we were so early for our re-scheduled flight, we were stuck for about 6 hours in the 'outside part' of T3 (not able to check-in) with just a coffee shop. We survived with a few coffees/teas and then some stronger stuff. Would rather have been on a delayed cruiseship :classic_cool:

24 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Is there anything to indicate that the problems on Eden are fixed?

Or are they going straight out again with unresolved issues?

No the problems are not fixed.  The next cruise to depart late on 19/10 is a 3 day "cruise to nowhere" so I suspect they will just be floating around at a slow speed!  I think my expectations of P&O were unrealistic based on many of your comments.  I am used to better treatment by the cruiselines I choose!  

44 minutes ago, cruising kirby said:

No the problems are not fixed.  The next cruise to depart late on 19/10 is a 3 day "cruise to nowhere" so I suspect they will just be floating around at a slow speed!  I think my expectations of P&O were unrealistic based on many of your comments.  I am used to better treatment by the cruiselines I choose!  

My comments?

2 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Is there anything to indicate that the problems on Eden are fixed?

Or are they going straight out again with unresolved issues?

I heard it was a prop shaft issue, they seem to have done some sort of repair in Noumea as her speed has improved.

Edited by lagoon380

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

I hear 100 Aussie Cruise Critic members with oars are going out by helicopters to row ye olde Pacific into Sydney Harbour. lol.🤣

okay, you may be confused, the passengers on P&O are not necessarily oarsmen but skullers.:)

5 hours ago, cruisine21 said:

It has been sold to CMV in Singapore 

She goes to Singapore for handing over to CMV.  CMV are already advertising voyages and she will be back out here end of 2019 as "Vasco da Gama"

15 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Portuguese sailor of some reputation.

Indeed he was. Cruise & Maritime Voyages - CMV have really enhanced their fleet in recent times.  I saw ye olde CMV's Marco Polo in a few Baltic ports a few months ago, solid ship that one, she just keeps going around.