PACKING for a Cruise: Your Best & Worst Packed Items

2cruiseluvrs

Think about all the things you've packed to take on your cruise vacation. Did you try to fit your entire home into your suitcase? What is the ONE item that you're SO GLAD you remembered to bring.... and what's the ONE item you soon found out was a BAD IDEA (it took up space / or you never used it)?

I am glad I brought my _____________ and I should have left my _____________ at home!

I used to take a cheap over the door shoe hanger with the clear plastic pockets, it folded up flat and was perfect to put toiletries in when I unpacked.  So easy to see my lotions and potions 😆 without cluttering up the bathroom but now with so many ships having sliding doors it doesn’t work. 

And I always overpack so I usually have several ‘worst packed’ items.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suspaul said:

I used to take a cheap over the door shoe hanger with the clear plastic pockets, it folded up flat and was perfect to put toiletries in when I unpacked.  So easy to see my lotions and potions 😆 without cluttering up the bathroom but now with so many ships having sliding doors it doesn’t work. 

And I always overpack so I usually have several ‘worst packed’ items.  

That's a great idea with those plastic Pockets to have that extra storage!

• Like 1

About twelve cruises ago we found a over the door much like this photo. Packed it with toiletries/drugs/first aide etc. Left it in the suitcase and a quick glance tells what has to be refilled.

198-over-the-door-jewelry-organizer.jpg

• Like 1

I think the best think I ever took and almost didn't was my hiking boots on an Alaska cruise when we weren't planning to hike. I took them anyway, and I was really glad on Glacier Bay day since we spent the day out on open decks and they kept my feet warm. I've wished more than once that I'd brought fewer "going into dinner" clothes. Nobody cares if I wear the same thing multiple times.

• Like 2

We eliminated/reduced the shoes, all of the 'just in case items', most of the beauty products, and all of the dress clothes  that we only wore  a few hours, two or three times during a cruise.    When we unpack we take note of the items that we seldom wore/used and those items that we wish we had packed.

• Like 1

Best extra- a small spectacle repair outfit for replacing those little screws - used both by us, and a poor soul who couldn't see much when he lost the screw out of his.

Worst extra- a few years back we changed our battery using camera for a rechargeable one. OH took the usual packet of batteries...but no lead...

• Like 1

Tried the over door organizer--but have never needed it. Always lots of drawers, shelves & closet to put things.

I have done a 7 day in a carry-on & personal item (flew in day of, arriving about 1PM, didn't want to worry if delays).

Had just as much fun as when I bring a suitcase...or 2. (thanks SWA!) It is fun to have choices, but not necessary.

We did our first summer cruise this summer to the Caribbean and was VERY glad I overpacked. I typically would wear things over & over since I change clothes several times/day. But it was SO humid, one wearing & a shirt was DONE. 

Yes, you can buy almost anything you need on the ship/port but it will typically cost you considerably more.  I always remember meds & sunscreen for sure.

DB found out that ATM fees hurt on a ship when he forgot cash...

DON'T forget passport or ID with CERTIFIED birth certificate--that would be a vacation ruiner...

Honestly, I pack pretty much the same things wherever I travel. We mostly travel to warm weather destinations. 

I have a toiletry bag packed at all times with travel items. 

And I love my packing cubes--when you roll it minimizes wrinkles (especially nice when it is packed a couple days before embarkation), no one is pawing through my delicates, organizes suitcases nicely, I can get more in a suitcase, and makes unpacking a breeze.

• Like 1

I am glad I brought my shawl and I should have left my extra dress shoes at home!

I always carry a couple of lightweight, colourful, pashmina style Indian shawls wherever I travel. Serve many purposes... becomes a blanket on the plane, can be rolled up as a pillow, dresses up an outfit for the MDR, provides warmth in the chilly air-conditioned ship.

• Like 2

The best thing I brought on my family cruise (4 of us in a cabin) was the over the door shoe holder for all of our loose items.

The worst thing I brought on my cruise with just the DH and I was the over the door shoe holder. we just didn't need that with only the 2 of us.

• Like 2

I am glad I brought my hanging medicine chest, and I should have left nothing at home!

The only thing(s) that don't get used are in that hanging bag, and it's good when they don't get used (OTC meds and first aid items). I didn't wear one shirt on last summer's Alaska cruise -- because I was thinking it was DH's undershirt! Next time I'll be sure to fold it with the PURPLE BORDER on the outside!

• Like 1

Best thing (s) chargers for Kindle and phone. 

Worst, and don’t have to do it any more, a stack of paperbacks. I used to fill my luggage with shoes and books and cram my clothes in where I could. Now I bring basic color bottoms and mix and match tops. And one pair dressy flats for dinner, one pair of walking shoes and one everyday on the ship shoes. I wear the walking shoes to board and disembark because they take the most room. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:23 PM, 2cruiseluvrs said:

Think about all the things you've packed to take on your cruise vacation. Did you try to fit your entire home into your suitcase? What is the ONE item that you're SO GLAD you remembered to bring.... and what's the ONE item you soon found out was a BAD IDEA (it took up space / or you never used it)?

I am glad I brought my _____________ and I should have left my _____________ at home!

I am glad I brought my credit card and I should have left my swimmers at home!

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I am glad I brought my credit card and I should have left my swimmers at home!

Sometimes I wish I’d left my Credit card at home.

especially if Mrs Gut gets on a roll.

• Haha 1