What happened to “First unread post?”

If you are logged in, in lists you will see a large dot or a star immediately to the left of thread titles. Clicking the symbol will take you to the first unread post. The star indicates that you have posted in the thread.

The problem is that you have to do this INSTEAD of the thread name (which would have been the obvious thing to do). If you click on the name, it takes you to the top of the thread and marks it as read. Then you have to get yourself to where you wanted to be.

Maybe I'll train myself to always click on the dot or star, but it is not intuitive.

You will see the explanation if you hover over the dot/star. However, if you don't know to hover you won't see it. There are other things that are only visible if you hover; one being the report post/share post/post number in the top right corner of a post.

7 hours ago, gnome12 said:

The problem is that you have to do this INSTEAD of the thread name (which would have been the obvious thing to do). If you click on the name, it takes you to the top of the thread and marks it as read. Then you have to get yourself to where you wanted to be.

Maybe I'll train myself to always click on the dot or star, but it is not intuitive.

While the symbol differs, if memory serves the old site also used a small symbol to the left of the title.

I too have been clicking only the dot/star.

7 hours ago, gnome12 said:

As broberts says, this is exactly the same behaviour as in the old site, and the one before that.

4 minutes ago, broberts said:

While the symbol differs, if memory serves the old site also used a small symbol to the left of the title.

I too have been clicking only the dot/star.

2 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

As broberts says, this is exactly the same behaviour as in the old site, and the one before that.

That's what I remember too but thought I was nuts with people saying "No, I just clicked on the thread title"

34 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

That's what I remember too but thought I was nuts with people saying "No, I just clicked on the thread title"

I'm sure that in the old version when I opened the thread and saw the first post, that there was a button there to go to the first unread post. (There may have been a way to do this from the thread name but I didn't use it.) When I clicked on the button it took me to where I wanted to be. (Or more or less, since every time you signed out all unread posts were marked as read even if they were changed after you looked at the thread; this they have corrected.)

Just now, gnome12 said:

I'm sure that in the old version when I opened the thread and saw the first post, that there was a button there to go to the first unread post. (There may have been a way to do this from the thread name but I didn't use it.) When I clicked on the button it took me to where I wanted to be. (Or more or less, since every time you signed out all unread posts were marked as read even if they were changed after you looked at the thread; this they have corrected.)

That I do remember.  Maybe my eyes are blurring from reading too much here, but that wasn't what I was understanding people saying they were doing. 

7 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

That I do remember.  Maybe my eyes are blurring from reading too much here, but that wasn't what I was understanding people saying they were doing. 

The reason this is more difficult is that once you click on the thread name, it takes you to the beginning and marks the whole thread as read. You can't get to what was the first unread except by trial and error. (If you go back out immediately the dot/star will have disappeared.)

If you click on the dot or the star (and not the thread name) then you get to the first unread post. This is not intuitive. I see the thread that I want (which I was used to clicking anyway) and I click on it. I should be able to get to the first unread post from here, but I can't.

4 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

...If you click on the dot or the star (and not the thread name) then you get to the first unread post. This is not intuitive. I see the thread that I want (which I was used to clicking anyway) and I click on it. I should be able to get to the first unread post from here, but I can't.

Faulty assumption. You are not seeing "the thread that I want". Rather you are seeing a post in the thread you want.

Other than the way it looks, in this area the new site is operating in a fashion almost identical to the old site.

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

Faulty assumption. You are not seeing "the thread that I want". Rather you are seeing a post in the thread you want.

Other than the way it looks, in this area the new site is operating in a fashion almost identical to the old site.

No I am not seeing a post in the thread. I obviously didn't explain myself properly. When I click on the River Cruising folder, for example, I see a list of threads. Each thread name has either a dot, star or nothing preceding it. Intuitively, I want to click on the name of the thread in which I want to read the first unread post. However, if I click on the name, I get taken to post #1, and have to search for the first unread. Instead of clicking on the name (which I did in the past) I now have to click on the dot/star. I continue to state that this is NOT intuitive. The intuitive response is to click on the name.

1 minute ago, gnome12 said:

No I am not seeing a post in the thread. I obviously didn't explain myself properly. When I click on the River Cruising folder, for example, I see a list of threads. Each thread name has either a dot, star or nothing preceding it. Intuitively, I want to click on the name of the thread in which I want to read the first unread post. However, if I click on the name, I get taken to post #1, and have to search for the first unread. Instead of clicking on the name (which I did in the past) I now have to click on the dot/star. I continue to state that this is NOT intuitive. The intuitive response is to click on the name.

Feel free to send me an email for detailed, step-by-step instructions for how to get to the first unread posts in the threads you follow.

Just now, gnome12 said:

Sorry for misunderstanding. Getting used to this new site can be confusing.

My recollection of the old site is that it worked the same way. 

Our intuitions are clearly different. To me clicking on a thread title should take me to the beginning of the thread. 

Hopefully we will all get used to this new way of doing things soon :classic_smile:.

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

Sorry for misunderstanding. Getting used to this new site can be confusing.

My recollection of the old site is that it worked the same way. 

Our intuitions are clearly different. To me clicking on a thread title should take me to the beginning of the thread. 

Hopefully we will all get used to this new way of doing things soon :classic_smile:.

I don't expect that clicking on the title should take me to the first unread post, rather that when I am looking at the first post(s) in a thread that I be able to get from there to the first unread post. I could in the past, because I never knew about the option of doing it from the thread listing.

3 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I don't expect that clicking on the title should take me to the first unread post, rather that when I am looking at the first post(s) in a thread that I be able to get from there to the first unread post. I could in the past, because I never knew about the option of doing it from the thread listing.

Yes, it would be nice if that feature was reintroduced.