Where to stay in London

marnie2005

Looking for recommendations on a hotel for a few nights prior to our May/2019 cruise out of Southampton....first timers to London so open to any suggestions! Also , wondering the best means of transportation on the morning of our cruise to get from London to Southampton....thank you😊

I would stay somewhere near a tube station, then it is easy to get anywhere in London, if you want sites from your hotel window, then the Embankment or waterloo areas would be good.

The Train to Southampton is cheapest and not too difficult , it goes from Waterloo Station and you may need a taxi once there to get to the dock.

A transfer(booked car) would be easiest but would likely cost around 70- 130 pounds., if there are a few of you this could alleviate the cost.

Check out the London tool kit. Lots of great advice there.

Last year we flew into London, where we stayed at the Travelodge London Central Waterloo for 5 nights, then caught the train down to Southampton. The train/tube station is about 300 - 400 yds from the hotel, so is easily walkable. Hotel provides breakfast in the morning and there is a couple of nice pubs in the vicinity.

To get to the cruise, take the train from London Waterloo to Southampton Central. From the station, I would get a taxi to the port. Trains depart probably every 20 to 30 mins and take just over an hour.

Hi marnie2005. I live in the UK and would say both above are sensible suggestions. Travelodges are good value to use as a base (basic but clean etc) and you’re never far from a tube station in central London so it’s pretty easy to get around. I agree the train is definitely your best option to get to Southampton (book your tickets online in advance if you can as it’s usually cheaper). Just a word of warning though if you’re travelling there at the weekend. They often do work on the railways at weekends so you might find yourself diverted or even on a bus instead. Weekdays should be fine though.

2 hours ago, marnie2005 said:

Thank you for the recommendation! How did you get from the airport to your hotel....looking at flying into Heathrow.

The trains are again very easy, get yourself a oyster card at the airport and a map and it is very simple. Note that some stations like Hammersmith means you can change lines without having to move to a different platform - it is just swapping sides.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/large-print-tube-map.pdf

3 hours ago, marnie2005 said:

Thank you for the recommendation! How did you get from the airport to your hotel....looking at flying into Heathrow.

We fly into LHR with BA, so sign up with the company Airportr, who take our checked luggage once we clear customs and ship them to the hotel. We then took the Tube into London, which required 1 change between LHR & Waterloo.

If you have luggage, probably best to take Heathrow Express into Paddington, then a can, or get a limo from LHR. For limo around London, we use Addison Lee.

Heading back to Vancouver, we contracted again with Airportr, who picked our cases up at the hotel and next time we saw them was in Vancouver. 

Just a word of warning, today there has been major disruption at Waterloo with commuters advised not to travel. Consider getting to Southampton the day before cruise, some good hotels there,. Consider a visit to Historical Portsmouth or the New Forest.

3 hours ago, Redrobo said:

Just a word of warning, today there has been major disruption at Waterloo with commuters advised not to travel. Consider getting to Southampton the day before cruise, some good hotels there,. Consider a visit to Historical Portsmouth or the New Forest.

good advice.

• 2 months later...
On 10/24/2018 at 8:10 PM, Redrobo said:

Yes, Southampton the night before the cruise is sensible.  Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Avenue or Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton are both very close to the town and the quayside at reasonable rates.

In London you need to look at what places of interest you intend to visit and look for a hotel near to a tube station which connects to the area you are interested in visiting.  You cannot get an excellent hotel at a budget price in London. Premier Lodges and Travelodges are pretty good value and reasonable service levels.

Regards John

Marni2000, you've had a lot of suggestion so far, centred on Waterloo.
I'm going to suggest something different:

Choose a hotel within walking distance of Paddington Station. There are lots of them.
22 minutes from the airport and you're in Paddington, on the Heathrow Express. You can check in or dump your bags any time, then the rest of the day is yours - no more travel!
If it were me, I'd choose one south of the station, then Hyde Park and Lancaster Gate are an easy walk. Oxford Street and Mayfair are quite close too. Be sure to check out The Victoria pub in Strathearn Place! Loverly!

When you go to Southampton, take a train (there are lots of them) from Paddington to Reading (about 30 minutes away), then change to the (at least) hourly "Cross Country" train there to Southampton. The whole trip, with only one (easy - elevators) train change. Total journey time about 90 minutes (about the same as from Waterloo).

Go a day early if you must but as someone who's made the trip several times, this is not necessary, certainly  Monday to Saturday.
I'd rather spend my time in London than (yawn) Southampton (sorry, Sotonites!), especially since it's your first visit.
Hop a cab from Southampton station to the ship - about 6 minutes.

Go here to find train  journey times and prices that suit you. You can buy tickets there too. 
No need to pre-book the Heathrow Express, it leaves every 15 minutes from Heathrow.

Edited by Canuker
  • Like 1